"Getting My Life Back"

• August 20, 2010 at 12:06 pm

D.U. brought to mind something that I just became aware of and that I’ve been struggling with these past few days.

What does “getting your life back” mean to you? When did you realize that its not the same life you left? And what did all of this feel like? Please share!!

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2010 at 5:17 pm

I am far from being the same as I was before GBS but if this is as good as it gets I am satified. I can walk, work and still have some time after work for fun. This is a whole lot better then laying on your back all day long. I figure I am about 70% of my old self but each month I add a little more
      Harryb

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2010 at 8:51 pm

I also am far from where I was post GBS. But I have an attitude every morning that I am blessed. God gave me humility and I am going to make the best of it.

• August 21, 2010 at 9:23 am

[QUOTE=necey]D.U. brought to mind something that I just became aware of and that I’ve been struggling with these past few days.

What does “getting your life back” mean to you? When did you realize that its not the same life you left? And what did all of this feel like? Please share!![/QUOTE]

I can play the role of ‘household lazy-slob’ quite well. However, this has become ridiculous. What does it mean getting my life back?

Right now I am happy to be
      -trimming my own toe-nails
      – driving a car
      -being able to stand up holding my Les Paul despite sounding horrible when playing it
      -walking 1-2 km distances
      -being able to hold my wife’s hand without pain
      -being able to read print

GBS took almost everything that involves physical activity and left me feeling like I just finished 16 hrs of shoveling gravel 24 hrs. a day while much of my epidermis feels like it has been power-sanded.

I’ll take anything right now. My colleagues are all preparing to return to work, I wish I was there. However, I am happy to be breathing, safe financially and more importantly surrounded by loving family and friends.

• August 25, 2010 at 10:23 am

Thanks so much, guys! You all have touched on something meaningful for me as well. I was just hoping that someone out there was feeling the same things I am….and you are!

Accepting our limitations (which is a job in itself), working within those limitations, pushing ourselves to do more from time to time, and being grateful for those small victories are all important. I don’t think its “getting my life back” as much as it’s creating a NEW life – which ain’t always a bad thing!

• Anonymous
      August 25, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Starting a new life as a spin off of the previous one is kinda what I’ve experienced with my GBS.
      I’m still the same person with the same loving attitude the only difference now is that I strive to become better than before.
      Take your new life and embrace it. Do not be satisfied with less than you know you deserve. We all deserve an extraordinary life.