Quick result from IVIG Loading dose

• Anonymous
      April 10, 2013 at 2:29 pm

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have had CIDP for more than three years, so when my fourth neurologist prescribed the IVIG, I was pretty skeptical: $3500 in deductibles for something that was probably too late.

I started having trouble with my breathing muscles, quashed my doubts, and whipped out my credit card.

The first infusion gave me a bad headache, but by the next morning, one of my feet felt like a foot instead of a hot brick for the first time in years. I had several improvements over the loading dose period, including visual, balance, grip, and walking speed. The need to gasp and yawn went away after the fourth dose.

I know it’s unusual to get so much back so soon, and most people who post about IVIG tell about it not helping, so I wanted to put this out here.

It’s a tradeoff: the numbness receding makes the pain more real, and it actually hurts like it did when I first fell ill. Plus the headache and flulike infusion side effects are not fun. I still think it’s worth it.

• Anonymous
      April 25, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I had a similar response when I was first treated for GBS. Within hours of getting my first IVIG infusion, I recovered movement and strength in my arms.  With each successive treatment, I got more and more back until I was about 75% of normal after the 5th and final infusion.  I’m hoping for the same results the second time around as I have just found out that I am most likely having a recurrence 🙁

In the end…don’t question why you are having such a positive outcome, just enjoy it 🙂

Tagged: