questions reguarding tests

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2007 at 11:11 pm

hello my mother in law is in hospital and is having all the symptoms of gbs she had spinal today and said her protein levels were elevated but there was alot of blood also. wondering if this is normal. also she had gbs 30 yrs ago how common is getting this twice. very concerned about her lungs. sorry about the typing new to this.

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2007 at 6:01 am

If her protein levels are up she most likely has GBS and should be getting IVIG or plasmapheresis to stop the progression of the disease.
      Yes you can get GBS more then once I think the rate is about 3% chance.

So make sure your mother in law gets treatment right away and look at the other topic that people have that mention early treatment is the key. Also read the post from DR Shawn and others who has GBS and didn’t get early treatment.

Sue

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2007 at 7:46 am

Nomineed, the blood suggests that the spinal fluid is contaminated by blood while the needle was inserted. Blood contains a lot of protein so the result is meaningless. Doc.David

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2007 at 7:53 am

hi mominneed & welcome,

since, as doc david says, the lp test is meaningless, it needs to be redone &/or a ncv test given. both is best in helping the Dx. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2007 at 8:40 am

[QUOTE=DavidBod]Nomineed, the blood suggests that the spinal fluid is contaminated by blood while the needle was inserted. Blood contains a lot of protein so the result is meaningless. Doc.David[/QUOTE]
      she is receiving ivig the dr’s are pretty convinced she has gbs what benifits would the other test do. she is scared. they tried to do spinal the day before she had a successful spinal. could that have been the problem with the blood because they tried twice and was unable to get any fluid

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2007 at 8:57 am

her dr has suggested that the plasma is very dangerous and that he doesnt recommend it. i am sorry if i am not putting my questions on the right spot or the right way i am not use to computer

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2007 at 10:07 am

Mominneed

If she is having IVIg dont worry about the Plasma exchange right now. They ‘accomplish’ the same thing. Just remember IVIg or Plasma (whichever is done) does not cure GBS, this is done just to try to stop further attack or damage.

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2007 at 1:39 pm

Unfortunately I am able to answer the other part of your post. I had GBS twenty years ago and got it again this past October. The first time was mild – I could walk but slowly and leg muscles were weak. I was able to work approximately three days a week as a teacher. WHen I got it this time, I was much worse. I could not walk for about four months. It is now ten months and I still have difficulty walking and going up steps. I had a nurse friend who claimed you could not get it twice. These people who think they know it all. I got it both times from extreme prolonged stress – I fried my nerves.

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2007 at 6:10 pm

mominneed,

since she is getting ivig there is no need for any more tests. you are communicating with us just fine. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      August 2, 2007 at 8:02 pm

thank you for your help mother in law is doing alittle better she is on 4th day of ivig she is now eating alittle she is on day 11 of onset. i do have another question she states that first time she had this it was from a flu shot now this one seems to be after a tetnus shot. how many people have gsb from vaccines

• Anonymous
      August 2, 2007 at 9:09 pm

I got CIDP from a vaccine. Also from now on I will refuse any vaccine unless I really really need it. A lot of people will say if you have GBS or CIDP think twice or three time about getting a vaccine.

Sue

• Anonymous
      August 3, 2007 at 4:19 am

There was a thread here recently about GBS and the tetanus vaccine, and how we risk a possible relapse with that shot (you’ll have to copy the paste the link into your browser):

[url]http://www.gbs-cidp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2635&highlight=tetanus[/url]

Flu shots and tetanus shots are not a good idea if you have a history of GBS, but I guess you already know that now! Regardless, I’m glad your mother-in-law is improving. I hope she continues to see a smooth and steady recovery.

• Anonymous
      August 3, 2007 at 7:43 am

Hello momineed! Yes you can get GBS twice. I had mine 15 years apart. In 1991 the doctors told my parents I “could not get it again.” Suprise! My current neurologist agrees that in does indeed happen twice, but that we are a rare bunch. No vaccines for me. I stay away from all of them unless it’s absolutley neccesary. Stay positive!