Questions About Drivers License With CIDP

• Anonymous
      April 26, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Wondering if those on here who have paralysis in their feet and ankles can still drive a vehicle and also do you get hassles from your state DMV/MVD about getting/renewing your drivers license when you visit them in person?

I still can drive (i just take extra precautions when driving) however my disease has progressed over the years and so i worry about when i’ll need to renew my drivers license in 2012 as they may deny me by seeing me stand in line with a cane and with noticeable foot drop and while i technically don’t need to drive as i’m on SSDI (no employment) however i fear losing my independence as i’ll start to feel like i’m in jail unless i can get out of my tiny studio and go to the grocery store or a park etc. every so often.

Thanks for any thoughts or experience about this issue ! ๐Ÿ™‚

• April 26, 2011 at 7:49 pm

many people with physical disabilities continue to drive. As long as you can still safely manuever the gas and brake pedal doesnt seem like your privlige to drive should be taken away. If it does come to the point that you cannot drive a standard vehicle—then you could check into specializing one to fit your needs. I know of a woman completely paralyzed from her waist down that drives using a van equipped with hand brakes and gas.—-where there’s a will ther’s a way!!!!best wishes Lori

• Anonymous
      April 26, 2011 at 8:18 pm

I had my driver’s license revoked when I was at my worst, rightfully so. But a few years later I felt I had improved enough to drive again, so I went in & took the permit test & driver’s test. Since I used to teach driver’s ed & also knew the routes used by heart, it wasn’t that difficult to pass both. I wear AFOs & use a cane to walk, but I do have some feeling in my feet, not a lot, but enough to know where my feet are & how much pressure to put on the accelerator & the brakes. If I had any less, I would switch to hand controls like my son uses. But when he got new ones last year, it did end up costing him $1,000, so that can be an issue. I live in a small town & know every street by heart, but I would never dare drive in a large city; but then I never liked it before either. Don’t give up your driving if you feel you are safe. One caution, try not to ever drive when the extreme fatigue sets in, as one’s brain tends to become tired as well. Just my experience…

• Anonymous
      April 26, 2011 at 9:21 pm

Hey thanks so much for responding Lori and Pam and i never thought about hand controls as i’ll research that some more and see about cost and installation etc. although i have an cost idea as pam stated around $1,000.

henry ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      April 26, 2011 at 10:43 pm

In BC, Canada if you have a disabilty and have the blue card that hangs in your window you also qualify for

1.fuel tax credit rebate- about 15 to 20 cents back for every litre of fuel to max of $500/year

2. You can get a 25% discount off of your basic ICBC rates

• Anonymous
      April 26, 2011 at 11:45 pm

I cringed when I saw your post. It is such a fear of mine. My dr. said I may be able to start driving this Spring, but now with the issues with my broken foot, it may not happen for a while. I want to be safe. So I will follow the advice of my dr. But it is such a concern- it’s already been two years of no driving. I need to drive. I want to drive. If I don’t gain some of that independence back I may pull my hair out.

• Anonymous
      April 27, 2011 at 12:18 am

My best friend’s husband had a stroke at age 44 and he has hand controls as he cannot manipulate pedals with his right affected foot. Works well for him.
      Laurel

• Anonymous
      April 27, 2011 at 3:15 pm

The last time I went to renew my driver’s license was one year ago. My license had expired while I was bedridden for several months in the hospital so I had to pass the written test.

I really thought the BMV was going to give me a hard time about renewing my license because I was still using a walker at that time. This was just two months after being diagnosed with CIPD and I had just completed my inpatient rehab stint a few weeks prior.

Much to my surprise, the Indiana BMV didn’t even ask why I was using a walker – not one single question about what had happened to me. Nada.

I was SHOCKED. That was a HUGE load of my shoulders, but I can’t imagine that is the norm across the US.

Maybe I just got lucky because someone didn’t really care. But it’s also a scary thought because you don’t know how many unsafe drivers they are allowing to get their license.

I probably wouldn’t count on other states being this lax.

• Anonymous
      April 27, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Glad it worked out for you emitch as that’s great ๐Ÿ™‚ and again i really appreciate everyone’s posting here ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2011 at 10:28 am

Since I commute to work 35 miles one way each day it is a great concern of mine to be able to drive. Even though I have declined in my physical abilities especially over the last 4 years I am still able to drive decently—better than my husband who has no such disability. HA! People have asked me how I manage to drive—I actually do not know other than the fact that I must constantly monitor the speedometer so I can keep a consistent speed. I have lost most of the feeling in my feet and ankles. The CIDP has progressed so slowly that I have adapted without knowing it. I was surprised when I was first asked about driving in my condition. Not only is driving a car an issue but operating my riding lawn mower is also problematic. With my mower I also cannot feel the pedal but with the vibration my foot has a tendency to slip off of the clutch pedal which causes an abrupt stop. So, I have be extra diligent when trying to mow the yard. My IVIG nurse was surprised that I felt good enough to try to mow the yard, but was shocked when I told her the difficulty that I was having. She suggested I stay off of the lawn tractor, but I try to “push the envelope” as far as I can (while I still can).

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I had some problems with the brakes [missed them a few times] so I went and got hand controls installed a few months back. No problems excepts they functions just the opposite of what I’m use to. Push to the firewall to stop and pull back to go fast???:rolleyes: Now that took some getting use to!!:) Of course there is the question of money. Nothing is free and if there is a small market, you can bet the price is going to be high:cool:

Good luck and keep on trucking.

• Anonymous
      April 30, 2011 at 8:27 am

I guess at some time we all look at these aspects of our lives. I quit driving two or three years ago. I could not feel whether I was on the edge of the brake or the gas and my foot slipped off and I nearly plowed the car in front of me.

The first time it happened I was shocked. the second time I knew it was too much. I could not put my pride in front of someone else’s safety. I could never forgive myself if I hurt someone else due to my illness.

So, I suck it up. And it does stink. I have to ask for a ride anywhere. There is a local service that will pick you up and take you home (I work part-time ) I pay $2.50 each way, which may be cheaper than driving actually. I have lost freedom, and cannot do what I want when I want, but it is a small price to pay when I think about the potential for disaster I might create.

Every case is different and you must make your own decision for your own condition.

• Anonymous
      May 2, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Dick,
      Ever thought about trying hand controls? My son has had to use him all of his adult life (he is 30 now,) & he does fine with them, even in our terrible MN winters. I keep drivingeven with AFOs & neuropathy, but drive a large SUV with lots of room for my feet, so I can use the right foot for the accelerator & the left foot for the brake. But hen I do live in a town of 9,000 where I know the city by heart. My husband does do 90% of the driving, however.

• Anonymous
      May 18, 2011 at 2:44 am

I too looked into hand controls but then my hands became worse than my feet, so i just can’t win. I rarely drive but what is scarrier is that my teenage daughter is now driving me around and I am not sure who is the bigger threat on the road. I am trying to find humor in my daily life, it is the only thing keeping me going.:o

• Anonymous
      May 19, 2011 at 12:58 am

Lisa,
      I was just wondering what treatments you are on for CIDP. I found that when I was at my worst & could do almost nothing with my hands, solumedrol infusions gave me back some use of them. I do like your sense of humor, how much we all need that to keep going!

• Anonymous
      May 25, 2011 at 6:56 pm

I had GBS now have CIDP. I went without driving for a couple of years. Rehab said i was ok to drive. they tested me with a simulator. I wear Afos on both feet and walk with forearm crutches or a four pronged cane. I had to take the driving test to get my licsense. I drive a regular car no hand controls. I am numb and tingling from the chin down and have permanent damage to my feet and possibly my hands. I drive in the city sometimes on the highway. I dont know how long i will continue to drive i guess it depends on if this progresses. I get IVIG 2 times a week every week. I have begun to walk in the house with out any assitive defices. I also began wearing a core balance bracelet. It really has helped. Dont know if it is the bracelet or mind over matter whichever is ok with me.(not to mention IVIG)

• Anonymous
      May 26, 2011 at 11:56 am

I just wanted to thank everyone who responded to the thread here ๐Ÿ™‚