question for the women out there . plz help?

• Anonymous
      November 3, 2011 at 3:02 pm

sooo this is a rather personal question, but i figure if there is anywhere i can openly ask this with out embarrassment it’s here…. hopefully someone else can sympathise or has some advice for me…..

my gbs onset was May 2006….. although i have gotten a lot better in the last 5 years i have a lot of complications and residuals … ONE of my biggest issues is my tummy i am constantly fighting an ongoing battle with incontinence (diarrhea) i take Imodium 3 times a day as well as another medication by injection…..

My question is … i find my symptoms worsen and are uncontrollable when i am in my period.. has anyone else experienced this? could it be because of the muscles contracting and cramping? it aggravates ur bowels?

• Anonymous
      November 3, 2011 at 7:51 pm

That’s a long time to have this particular residual, though we all differ in these things. Yes, I think the GBS affects the muscles in the uterus; I got menopause since onset. And I did have bladder & bowel incontinence during onset, and for months afterwards I got diahhrea and could hardly control my muscles. Even now, at times it happens that way. So be prepared, with a pad, and also watch your diet and don’t wait too long between restroom usage times. It’s like being a kid again, anytime I go outside or someplace I make sure I use the bathroom first. Not a pleasant problem to have, but hopefully it will get better in time.
      Maybe check with the doc about this too, as uterine fibroids can cause these symptoms too. Could it be your meds?

• Anonymous
      November 3, 2011 at 8:16 pm

I had constant diarhea also after I left the hospital. It only went away after I began suppliementing with probiotics. These help in the bowels and vaginally.

My Nutritionist told me that the meds I took killed off the good bacteria while while I was sick. For example I tested with zero Lactobacillus.

• Anonymous
      November 5, 2011 at 11:10 pm

thank u both for responding… yes i know it is a long time.. and it sucks.. i use the washroom when ever i leave the house and have a little case in my purse with extra supplies on me at ALL times…. i have also started taking probiotics as i know there full of good bacteria…. i have talked to my docs and they say that with the variant of gbs that i had this tends to be the case and that its not the first time they’ve seen this but did not really offer any other options to help besides. the Imodium and the injections of ondanzatron…….i eat a very restricted diet no red meat and avoid anything fibrous of gassy…. im also lactose intolerant so no milk or milk products… im getting very tired of planning my life around um uncontrollable bowels and the constant tummy aches …:( im sorry im sounding so negative today… I think its just one of those days

• Anonymous
      November 10, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Synthia,

I find the best thing for trying to be regular is fiber… I drink Metamucil every morning. If I miss a day or so, IBS symptoms come right back. So I say you have got to get that fiber – gassy or not. It’s better to do a little tooting then running and missing the bathroom. Can you tell I’ve been there done that?!?!

• Anonymous
      November 14, 2011 at 12:29 am

hey crissy thank u ! as mush as iv read and talked about it .. the hole fiber thing still baffles me …. if u have (the runns) does taking fiber help solidify? i always thought fiber did the opposite and made u go..?

• Anonymous
      November 14, 2011 at 2:12 am

Hi Synthia,
      Have you ever been tested for Celiac disease? My daughter developed Celiac about 3-4 years ago while in nursing school. She can not eat anything that contains wheat gluten. Celiac is an autoimmune disease. It can cause bloating, diarrhea, constipation, etc. The person’s immune system attacks the villi (sp?) in the intestines, which can lead to malnutrition because the body cannot absorb nutrients properly. You might check into getting tested and it just involves a simple blood test. Before being diagnosed, she would eat a food containing wheat (such as pizza, etc.) and within 5-10 minutes, have to use the bathroom and literally the food she just ate would go straight through.
      Weird, huh? Hope you find something that alleviate your symptoms.