question about stress and after affects of an assualt

• August 26, 2010 at 2:18 am

Long story short I was involved in a physical altercation last night with a neighbor who attacked me. Head lock, punched me, knocked me around a bit….did not fight back because I knew I could get charged if I did so I took what she did. This whole thing has been building for awhile with threats against my children, family, myself, trash talking, etc. Most was dealt with as it came up depending on what it was. The rest I have been told to keep my mouth shut and ignore it, let it go, don’t engage. Hard to do when it keeps going on and you feel frustrated and helpless so yes a person gets to a point where they dont want to keep their mouth shut or ignore it anymore. Anyhow, I went to the doctors today because I felt like I had been hit by a truck. Turns out I have neck injuries, back injuries, facial swelling, bruises and of course this has also set off residuals. I am so stressed out over the whole thing (and have been because of all that has led up to last night) that I am shaking, twitching, numb and tingling, in pain of course, throwing up, and very ticked off I didn’t “do something more to defend myself”. My question is, how much is too much and what can cause a relapse or flare up and what is the difference and what should I worry about regarding these things? I have heard stress, trauma, injury can all cause a relapse. Of course this has me worried because of the “residuals” I am experiencing. Could her hitting me and wrenching my neck cause further nerve injury/problems to already damaged nerves? This is not exactly something I need right now considering everything else that I have been dealing with and going thru. Been a pretty rough year all together to be honest on all fronts. But dealing with “rough patches” on top of GBS related stuff makes things seem worse and harder. I feel like the steps forward I made recently at my 4th year mark have been taken away and I am back to being afraid and VERY aware of my limitations (hard not to be when an unstable woman attacks me and I am already dealing with limited capacities and even if I had wanted to defend myself I am not sure I properly could have….pisses me off!!!). Sorry to vent, but the point is, I really want to know how much is too much and should I be concerned about getting sick again because of all this crap? I assume it will take longer than the usual 3 days to start feeling better physically.

Yes the police were called, now I have to make the decision to press charges or just keep the file open and see if these people do anything else. Whole other story, just wanted to let you know law enforcement was involved, pictures of my injuries have been taken, and I had it all confirmed by a medical doctor that I am indeed injured because of her actions.

I hurt. I am sick. If I take the hydrocodone it makes me sicker but makes it hurt less. I am driving my hubby nuts because my moods keep swinging back and forth and I am so angry and upset and am taking it out on him because there is no one else to direct it at (I know totally wrong of me and I feel badly about it).

thanks for listening and for any advice or answers.

• Anonymous
      August 26, 2010 at 4:10 am

I am not sure about the assault, but I have determined this morning that mine pain is stress related. I was diagnosed with CIDP in February and have been in and out of the hospital ever since.

During my last bout I was taking hydrocodones 10/325 every 4 hours plus all the other pain meds. From the day I was discharged I have not taken one Hydrocodone. But yesterday I got a letter from my employer raising my insurance premium from the normal contribution rate of 100 per month to 350 per month, I cried and cried and could not stop shaking, I am so scared what am I going to do.

My feet now have been in so much pain all night that i cant sleep, My feet and ankles are in so much pain like they have never been before. The hydro’s are not even touching the pain at all.

I believe that a lot of my pain has got to be stress induced

• August 26, 2010 at 8:57 am

Absolutely kick her a**! Have the court hit her with everything! Anybody who beats up a patient recovering from GBS is potentially dangerous. She needs to be stopped before she hurts someone else.

I am feeling for you right now. When I got GBS one thing that went through my mind was protecting myself or my family. You have lived through one of my worst fears!

Seriously, she needs to understand what a coward she is. I dont think you should just let this go.

I hope you can get the stress under control.

• Anonymous
      August 26, 2010 at 10:31 am

I am so upset, just reading this – you have to endure enough just living every day post-GBS and now an assault? This is unacceptable! Stress? Yes it can cause damage to a healthy person. For goodness sake I hope you have a Dr. who is going to watch you closely – if charges are filed (I say throw ’em the book) you are going to have to endure more stress with court dates, interviews with lawyers etc etc… I have no idea how this is going to affect you and your family – I can only offer my prayers, and cry on my shoulder any time.

• Anonymous
      August 26, 2010 at 11:36 am

I don’t know about this causing a relapse but I wanted to address the pressing charges issue.

My personal opinion is after the age of…oh say 3, people should know better than to physically assault another person. Your neighbor is an adult & what she did to you was illegal. She should be punished for it.

If you do not move forward with pressing charges she is going to get the message that 1) You will not stand up for yourself (you didn’t fight back & now you aren’t going to press charges) and 2) That it’s ok to attack people.

You also need to think about the message you are sending to your children.

VIOLENCE is NEVER ok. EVER! And people who are violent should be punished.

I know you will still have to live near this lady & you don’t want to create more problems. But it will NOT stop if you don’t move forward with charges. It may die down for awhile but it will happen again. With people like that it always does… believe me…I come from a family of crazy people who all act nuts (I don’t know how I came out of it being normal).

Honestly, the ONLY way to diffuse the situation is to get the courts involved. That way she knows you will NOT tolerate it & if she does anything else to you her punishment will be worse. And you can sue her for your pain & suffering as well…which you should do!

I hope you feel better soon. Just try to rest & relax as much as possible.
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      August 26, 2010 at 11:46 am

OMG Lori….I cannot believe this happened to you…you are such a nice person!! This lady should be prosecuted and punished to the full extent of the law. You don’t want to take chances that she will go even crazier and injure another family member or kill one of you, god forbid. Can you get an order of protection against her? Is it an option to move?

That is just so unacceptable, what a horrible person. I don’t know how you can stand it to not want to physically injure her back. I would be so angry I would be shaking!! Please do everything you can to take care of yourself and your family and protect yourselves from this lunatic. You need to get away and destress so that your residuals can calm down. Healing prayers are being sent your way…. you do not need to endure any more! Hang in there and good luck!! Gentle hugs….

• Anonymous
      August 26, 2010 at 12:00 pm

[SIZE=”3″] am so shocked you didn’t have her arrested. I agree with others press charges and sue them as hard as you can.
      She already has proven she is dangerous and if you allow her to walk over this the next time will be alot worse. She is sick and if she is this way then she is with her family.Do not wait a week or month to bring charges do it ASAP and do not feel sorry for her.yes pray for her and her sickness but a person as this learns only one way. from the pocket book. You were blessed this time but next time you may not be able to walk and end up in a wheel chair. May gods healing touch be with you and put a stop to the torment NOW Bless you (LOakoda)[COLOR=”DeepSkyBlue”][/COLOR][/SIZE]

• August 26, 2010 at 1:35 pm

thank you so much for your replies everyone. I am crying. she is a scary person and we have all thought she was a loon, irrational, delusional, and impossible to talk to. Her daughter had been dating my son and had us all fooled too. We thought the girl was perfect….found out later my son was too ashamed to tell me she had been verbally abusing him and threatening him for the 10 months they were together! But the girl left her part out of the whole thing and only told mommy that her heart was broken because he said he hated her and wasted 10 months of his life on her. This started the whole thing because I apparently raised a horrible irresponsible abusive son. I know better and also know there is no way to defend such a thing to a person like her. So yes, I have taken a lot from her, her friends, and my son has taken a lot from them personally which brought out my protective instincts. I kept him close and told him to stay as far away from any one connected to them as possible and to just be careful. Fortunately no one has physically touched my children, just trash talk (not sure which is worse for teens). I am usually one to avoid conflict and confrontation but a person can truly only take so much esp when it just keeps going. But, we are dealing with a grown woman who loaded up her SUV with KIDS to go to a fight in a local park to make sure the person who was their “friend” didn’t get hurt! At close to midnight this happened! Who does that?! So yes, she is wired wrong or something. Still thinks all of her actions from A to Z are to defend her daughters honor and reputation…in reality is has nothing to do with her daughter, it is all something personally wrong with her.

I admit that I am scared after my son came home from school yesterday (less than 24 hours after the police told this girl and made my own son promise no contact whatsoever with any of us or them) and told me that the daughter had gone up to his new girlfriend and personally told her to her face that what happened to me is nothing. That her family and friends are not afraid to do anything to anyone! The girl and her mother refuse to report it, and I tried to convince them I need this for the case against them. No go. This type of behaviour and talk makes me fear for my children and my family…and their friends! I do not know what these people are capable of and do not want to find out.

You have helped convince me (along with spending half the night in the bathroom and dealing with such anxiety and stress that I am still shaking and upset on top of residuals and pain) to go ahead with the charges. She has gotten away with things way too long and has to realize at least one person won’t take it. I pray it does not make things worse for us.

Thank you so much again. Yes I am scared of getting sick again because of all this stress, but am not as afraid of the hospital as I am of her. Since I can do something about her and her actions, that is the least I can do to ease my stress and fear.

I am going to send an email to the officer now. He is off for the next couple of days, and have quickly learned getting in touch with any officer personally at the station is impossible and that their dispatch is not very helpful. I think an email will be better. I will be letting him know I want to go ahead with charges and also add to it about the verbal confrontation and threats from the daughter (since the girl and her mom wont do anything about it, it may be useless but at least it will be documented in some way even if it is my word against theirs). Oh and I couldnt have her arrested because I was told even if I did press charges that night, they would not be taking her away. Yes, leaving an unstable person to go about her business! I am quickly learning that being nice and playing by the rules is not how a person gets anywhere in this new society that has developed. Sad and scary.

thank you again. I will keep you updated. Right now I am dealing with guilt, shame, embarrassment, and anger. Still in a lot of pain, still twitching and tingling and numb. Am going to spend the day in bed and try to get my wits back.

Jessica, will email you soon.

• Anonymous
      August 26, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Have her arrested!!!!Throw the book at her!!! Kick her —!!!! Sue her for pain & suffering!!! Sue her for your physical damage to your neck, back, & all other damages!!! DO THIS YESTDAY!!! This type of assalt on a handicapped person is attempted murder!!!
      So very sorry this happened to you, such a dear sweet person. I’m praying for miracles for you,& for mercy strenght & healing. So very sorry the damage to your neck & back is so painful. This kind of emotional stress is certainly not good for your GBS. Oh dear sweet Lori I will continue praying for you.

Love & gentle hugs, smitty

• Anonymous
      August 26, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Don’t be guilty or ashamed or embarrassed. It was not your fault. I will continue to pray for you.

Love & gentle hugs, smitty

• Anonymous
      August 26, 2010 at 2:19 pm

[SIZE=”3″][COLOR=”DeepSkyBlue”]I read what happen to you. I called my lawyers and shared it with them and they said you were assulted and did not strick back. Assult is a ticket to jail PERIOD.
      Reading your reply you will be in more danger letting her walk away and do nothing.One thing you can do today is get a restraining order against the family.Go to the police station and bring charges not by E-Mail. All the officer will do is tell you you have to come in.Hold nothing back. If needed get a certifyed letter from the doctor and also for your possiable relaps of GBS-CIDP.Get out of the bathroom and start protecting yourself.You can also get police protection. If you have a bunch of stupid hick cops go to the state attorny.This family is capiable of major harm to you and your family.REMEMBER you are the VICTOM> Say TRUST NO ONE as you do not want her knowing what you are doing.As stupid as she sounds she will be yelling and creating problems. CALL THE POLICE every time.Tell the police and attorny and judge you fear for your life. You know she will LIE and so will her kids. BUT you have proof she has NOTHING Praying for you (Buff)[/COLOR][/SIZE]PS-do not discuss this with anyone till it is over. and above all STAY AWAY FROM THE FAMILY AND THEIR FRIENDS.

• Anonymous
      August 26, 2010 at 2:54 pm

I agree with Mochacat!!!

Love, & gentle hugs, smitty

• Anonymous
      August 26, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Lori,

This makes me so angry and sick. You tell this woman that you are going to have your whole GBS posse after her and we are a pretty tough bunch so she should be quaking in her boots!! 😉 Could you imagine if we could round everyone up? If I could swear on here, I would. Please, please be careful.

• Anonymous
      August 26, 2010 at 6:18 pm

I’ll be the first to join that posse!
      Love, smitty

• Anonymous
      August 26, 2010 at 7:20 pm

went into ‘POOF!-ville’!
      See if you can find a low-income assistance lawyer to get this turkey off your back, and out of your life!

Just be sure to get Photos NOW of how you were damaged/bruised… not tomorrow or day after… ASAP! Best to have that record.
      Could you go and see either your GP or neuro to do an assessment as well? And ask for a copy of their findings!
      This sort of person is NOT going to go away? They are going to try and make your life as miserable as theirs is… Don’t stoop so low. Get help, get knowlege and get protection!
      I KNOW how our GBS/CIDP can exhaust us beyond what we think we can endure? BUT WE CAN AND MUST in such circumstances!
      What’s that old phrase?
      “When this is over, I’m going to have a breakdown. No one can deny me of it!” You get my drift. Rest later. Be safe then! And NOW!
      HUGS and hope!

• August 26, 2010 at 10:27 pm

My husband is worried about how I am feeling…left foot and leg numb and tingling like crazy, kind of dragging my feet, my left side seems to be more affected by all this than my right. I have no signs of paralysis but the continuous muscle twitches and shaking have me on edge (which doesnt help). I will be calling my dr in the morning and making an appt because I feel this has made a difference in my health. It is a new dr which will be interesting, but my files are still with him and I will also make darn sure he knows everything that happened and what is going on now. In the ER the dr did a strength test—pull against my hands, squeeze my fingers, lift legs, etc—-he seemed concerned about the “baseline lack of strength” but I told him that is what I normally am like. Lifting my legs was weird! It was almost as if my brain was telling me to do it but they didnt want to cooperate, also hurt my back to do so. So I do think another visit is in order. Will probably have to go back to the ER since they have the monitoring equipment (I am praying no spinal, just shocking me) and my dr will probably send me there anyhow considering the reason.

I like the GBS POSSE, that made me smile! Now if only we could use that against GBS itself!

I have to get my inner strength back quickly and take action. I appreciate the call to the lawyer and asking what to do. I may do that myself, I already have an open case with legal aid for SSI, wonder if he would handle this? I Also thought going to the station in person was a better idea than an email or call. I may have a busy day tomorrow making the rounds with dr’s, lawyers, and law enforcement. She has no idea at all what I have going on. She thinks I have dropped it or am too afraid since I didnt fight back (other than a couple of instinctive swings). Photos are already on file with the police, have the ER visit from yesterday on file as well, and will have more for them asap. Hubby assured me he has our back and we will deal with whatever happens if and when it happens but she can not get away with this.

Thank you for your prayers, your honesty, your research, and your support. It definitely gives me strength! I have to head to bed again even though I have been there all day anyhow.

I also got some beautiful news. A very dear friend of mine was visiting our former hometown, got in tough and asked if I would like for him to stop by my mothers grave. I was so touched. I asked if possible could he please place one red rose on it for me. He wrote today and let me know he was able to get over there and left two…one from him and one from me. I cried my eyes out (like now) it touched me so deeply. He was very dear to her so all of it meant so very much to me. I thanked him from the very bottom of my heart and wished I could hug him in person for his kindness. Someday I will hopefully be able to place a rose myself, but right now it still hurts too much to think about.

hugs to all. Thank you so much again for your friendship and support.

• August 27, 2010 at 10:02 am

Hi Lori

I hope you are feeling better today. Lotsa folks advising you to go after the ‘Addams Family’ here. I have been in a similar situation having to deal with crazy dangerous idiots, only I was in full health when it happened to me. Your bravery in taking these people to task in admirable, even though it must be scary.

I dunno what value it is to you, but if you need GBS support in the form of a talking buddy I would be happy to spend some time on the phone with you, as I am sure many of us here will do. Whatever, dont be afraid to rely on us for support.

Best to you and your kids

• Anonymous
      August 27, 2010 at 1:03 pm

I am so sorry to hear about what happened to you.
      One of my friends had a crazy neighbor and he even threatened her while I was present. It turned out he really was a loon and kept on yelling/causes problems for them. My friend’s husband built a 8 foot high fence for privacy and protection.The neighbor finally moved.
      Sometimes the only message someone like this can understand is police intervention.Your neighbor started it physically and it’s all on her now. Please do whatever is needed to protect you and your family. The neighbor’s daughter sounds like her mom. Bullying and threats are illegal in school.

Mochacat is right-don’t tell anyone about what you’re doing.

• Anonymous
      August 27, 2010 at 2:18 pm

[SIZE=”3″][COLOR=”MediumTurquoise”]Hello again.I have been keeping up on you by coming to my brothers site.From what I have read she hurt you very bad. PLEASE go all the way with this as next time she may attack someone and kill them.I checked with my lawyers again and she is in line for prison time. depends what her past is like and someone like her will have a past.
      As far as a lawyer you may have a few in line wanting your case for free.Do not worry about her children as they are or will be like the mother.Do not feel pity for her or family as they know everything they do and more than likley had a good laugh over the pain they have caused you.
      I AM SORRY doesn’t work this time.Don’t be one of the ones married to a monster who beats them daily and they stay because they think they can help them.I am saying this as seen it happen in the past. DO NOT TELL YOU FAITH LEADER>all they do is say pray for them and I have NEVER SEEN prayer help a mental case.I have you in our prayer circle and tell your husband he can do alot without you with him.Don,t worry you will know when she is served and poss arrested.From now till it is over my lawyers say SILENCE SILENCE. Praying for your recovery and with you spirtually.
      Your unconditional friend (Morning Mist)(Buff)[/COLOR][/SIZE]

• Anonymous
      August 27, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Lori,
      You need to have this person procecuted for her own good. She shouldn’t be on the loose.

• Anonymous
      August 27, 2010 at 10:27 pm

That your CANE which should be with you at all times [even if you don’t use it?] CAN be a good defensive weapon! I believe there are even ‘cane self-defense’ classes! No kidding! Just Google or whatever, it up….
      Go get this turkey…. Try talking to your city or county prosecutor’s office or, just start w/the police and see where it goes. Do get to see your docs and get DOCUMENTATION of all your lumps and bruises to boot! The more the better, for YOU.
      In the meantime? Make those calls, do what you must in that quarter? BUT MOSTLY LOOK AFTER YOURSELF!
      Be strong as you can and don’t let this person bully you! As that is what they are doing. HUGS!

• August 31, 2010 at 1:22 am

[QUOTE=homeagain]That your CANE which should be with you at all times [even if you don’t use it?] CAN be a good defensive weapon! I believe there are even ‘cane self-defense’ classes! No kidding! Just Google or whatever, it up….
      Go get this turkey…. Try talking to your city or county prosecutor’s office or, just start w/the police and see where it goes. Do get to see your docs and get DOCUMENTATION of all your lumps and bruises to boot! The more the better, for YOU.
      In the meantime? Make those calls, do what you must in that quarter? BUT MOSTLY LOOK AFTER YOURSELF!
      Be strong as you can and don’t let this person bully you! As that is what they are doing. HUGS![/QUOTE]

I manage without a cane…slight limp, worse when tired or over done it….but boy howdy would that have come in handy! I always used to tease my kids that when I get old and grey they better be nice to me or I will hit them with my cane. Sheesh, now that I am 40, got grey hair (hide it only because I am too impatient to let it grow out) and got hit with GBS a cane may not be that far off!

I got in touch with the police officer and let him know I want to go ahead with charges. Also told him why…apparently it was agreed on that hubby would talk to me about NOT pressing charges (huh?!?!) as long as everyone agreed to drop everything and go live their lives. Well since the daughter insisted on opening her mouth (she is the one who started all of this in the first place but Princess Perfect is very good at covering her tracks!) AND told people she was being harassed by my son and his gf (I dont know who was calling her/texting her, but it wasnt them) which made a group of girls confront his gf at school, all bets were off! Paperwork is being forwarded to the Prosecuting attorney or someone asap. I will also be seeing my dr a week early because my back is still hurting, had bad numbness burning and tingling up to my upper thigh last night in my left leg. Only up to my calf in the right. My face is numb on the left side…was only partially on the right before. Also noticed an over reaction to “hormone rushes” like adrenaline and such that had gotten better or at least were more or less under control. Freaked me out to have a pounding and racing heart and my blood pressure soared giving me a headache today and it was only over an interesting conversation with hubby. The meds I am on raise my BP (usually it is 112-117/80-84 since I started the Savella. Certainly do not like it that high!) and heart rate anyhow. Hell I could stroke out or something. Can we say breathe in, breathe out?
      I have no idea what this will bring about or stir up. I am sure something will happen. I did let the officer know I am afraid for us but am not letting it stop me from pressing charges. I am very glad hubby has work coming in so that is a lot of stress off of us, only to be replaced with all of this. Wonder what happens if she counter charges? Is that possible? She has a large group of friends that will lie thru their teeth for her, and I have only my 3 kids and my hubby to speak on my behalf. I have a few character witnesses (is that what they are called??) who can vouch for who I am and what it takes to push me to confront someone. Even my ex hubby would stand up in court on that one. Ugh. I will allow myself a girly moment locked in the bathroom and cry it out, but after that I am putting on my game face.

I noticed I have been afraid to go outside and take photos because of what the neighbor said to the officer about me sneaking around with my camera and she thinks I am taking photos of their family. ??? Nothing could be further from the truth. I guess I will have to talk myself into going somewhere else to get some photos. Been awhile since I was out and about with my camera. Better enjoy the last of Summer while I can because Fall hits fast here! Maybe I will go ahead and take that mini day trip with my daughter to a couple of pioneer cemeteries we have been wanting to see. She adores those moments with me and we get to learn about the local history and explore. I try to keep up and she knows I rest often so she doesn’t go too far ahead. It is worth a couple of days in bed for some time away!

I am not usually a confrontational person. So yea this behavior was borne out of being pushed way too far. But I would not have raised a hand to any of them.

Thank you again, and will keep you all up to date. The kids have been told to keep quite and no contact…I tell them this daily. We hold our heads high and remember we have done nothing wrong or that was not deserved.

HUGS and prayers.

Lori

• Anonymous
      August 31, 2010 at 1:40 am

How close are you from your neighbor’s house?? I had written earlier that one married couple I know built a 8 foot high fence from side of yard all the way back and around so they felt safe, had privacy and didn’t have to see their screaming neighbor.Always can plant fast growing mammoth bushes too.

Have your attorney brief you on what to expect when on witness stand (if it goes this far) and stay calm–firm–pleasant—even though you don’t feel like it.
      Sometimes doing the right thing can be so hard.

• August 31, 2010 at 2:10 am

We live in a cookie cutter neighborhood. The woman who came after me lives somewhere else in the subdivision, the other people (we are surrounded by their friends!!) live right across the street, next door, and always have people over. If it were OUR house we would build a stone wall with a gate, but we are just renting. Our goal right now is to move somewhere else. The area has become too much of a s***hole and too negative for the kids. I am looking for mexican sunflowers to plant along the front fence…those suckers get big! I tried planting a small amount in the flowerbed but nothing came up. Figured if they grew, I could transplant them and have our own colorful wall (except in the winter). I think moving will be best. We pay way too much here anyhow. I would love an older craftsman home! or something in the mountains (as if any of us ski or snowboard LOL!).

I asked about an order of protection for the kids mainly, but it is done at the court and is based on case by case. No guarantees and it may not be what you ask for anyhow. Although it would tick her off to not be able to come to this part of the neighborhood and would serve her and her daughter right.

The women here are strange! THEY rule the house and will disrespect their men at the drop of a dime. They expect them to pay for it all, but treat them worse than they do a mangey stray mutt. Way strange for me!

Anyhow, moving is our next goal. It just isn’t worth sticking around when you are surrounded by people who constantly give you dirty looks or accuse you of things and talk just loud enough so you know its about you. *sigh*