purple spots on feet?

• Anonymous
      October 31, 2007 at 6:43 pm

I am about 9 months out of GBS. It was recently suggested that I may have also developed Raynaud’s syndrome. I was wondering if anyone else has lingering discoloration of their feet, with GBS with or without Raynaud’s. My feet were purple for several months, but now I have a lingering purple spot on my left big toe. I also seem to have the beginnings of what looks like varicose veins on the inside edges of my feet. Any info or advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
      Stoney Pride

• Anonymous
      October 31, 2007 at 7:35 pm

I have found that I get pressure points on my feet where they easily bruise. My toes still tend to swell sometimes. If your feet are still retaining fluid or are swollen, then maybe that is what is happening.

Tonya Correll

• Anonymous
      October 31, 2007 at 7:36 pm

stoney,

my feet were red. it was due to the fact that they were soo hot. when i applied ice, too much at the time but did not know it, the toes turned purplish-black. some years ago it went away. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      October 31, 2007 at 11:34 pm

Stoney,
      I am thirteen months since GBS peaked. I still have swollen toes and lots of prominent blood vessels which I am surmising have developed to overcome the lack of circulation in my feet. It would make sense that Raynaud’s would be associated with GBS. I think most of us have hands and feet that are hypersensitive to the cold. I have been taking Co Q 10 (100-200mg) to oxygenate my tissues and 800 mg of vitamin E to improve circulation. When a friend’s dad had gangrene, we gave him 5000 mg of vitamin C (with his doctor’s permission) and it helped improve the circulation in his feet and slowed the progression of the gangrene. I know you have chosen the path of pharmaceuticals, but it wouldn’t hurt to try. PLus Raynaud’s is a sydrome, so you don’t have a specific germ to go after. If you are on an alpha & beta adrenergic blocker, that sometimes causes similar symptoms to Raynaud’s. I found that adrenal extract helped turn the tide of my GBS the first time I had it. But I had to take alot because my doctor said it was difficult for the body to absorb. He had planned to put me on an IV of that and vitaminC if I would have been hospitalized. Hope this helps a little.

• Anonymous
      March 29, 2009 at 12:31 am

I had a mild case of GBS 1 Year which came on directly after I got raynaud’s syndrome. I feel my case was mild only because I got acupuncture right away and started taking adrenal supplements and vitmin c and amino acids and homeopathics. I am an acupuncturist that uses these in my practice. I am now getting another reoccurance of the same symptoms. I am going to my neurologist soon to talk about CIDP. Any ideas?

• Anonymous
      March 31, 2009 at 8:26 pm

Jessica,
      You seem to be ahead of the game thanks to your complimentary medicine. If your symptoms are coming back, I wonder if you are taking enough vitamin C and adrenals and some B complex. When I had GBS I was taking somewhere around 18 grams of C and I had to take 12 tablets of 80 mg adrenal extract. I have since found adrenal cortex capsules which I take in my recovery. But even today I take around 12-15 grams of C and am using all of it because there is no bowel intolerance. When my GBS was at its peak, I did reflexology with my hands and found the fleshy part of my palm near the thumb was really painful – which shows inflammation. I found that massaging this area relieve some of my symptoms. Hope this helps.