Pt And Ot Ideas

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2010 at 1:07 pm

Hi

I am fairly new to this whole thing. I have spent 2 weeks inpatient for OT and PT at a very good facility, then I relapsed and am having to start all over again. I chose a different facility for my rehab because I felt my medical needs out weighed the rehab need.

Unfortunately this is a facility that has limited equipment and knowledge about CIDP, but the staff is great. i love them very much.

I am just curious as to what has worked for everyone else, what excersizes, activities have you found most beneficial. I am not talking about the basics either. I am talking about more advanced, we did baking and lots of WII Tennis for my hip weakness.

Anything you can think of for me to present to the therapist would be greatly appreaciated.

Jason

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2010 at 6:32 pm

You know one of the main things in PT is not overdoing it. My PT was so intense that I too quit and just started home theropy. I worked until I knew I had enough not to wear me down. Most theropist who are unfamiliar with GBS/CIDP do not understand this. God bless and we’ll keep you in our prayers.

• Anonymous
      August 2, 2010 at 9:35 am

I was first patient with GBS at rehab facility. On the consultation visit I gave them a pamphlet from the GBS/CIDP foundation to read and understand GBS/CIDP.
      Gave them instructions rehab doctor had given me for physical limitations in rehab. Started lightly, after 15 to 20 minutes I was to rest for 10 minutes. Started slowly on bike with very little tension for 10 min. Started with 5 lb weights for arms and legs 10 minutes at a time. My weight was 105 lbs at that time and I was very weak so this was a good starting point for me.
      Eventually I could go the hour without rest and the tension and weights were increased.
      I know this is not more advanced you ask for. Considering you are fairly new to this and have relapsed you may want to talk to your doctor or previous therapist and get more information as to a starting point for you before going advanced on your own.

Good luck to you.
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      August 6, 2010 at 7:00 pm

I agree with Matteyrae!

• Anonymous
      August 9, 2010 at 2:00 pm

My only addition is that I would say it is good to try different things because different muscles will be used or at least used differently. For instance, golfing was good to help my stabilizing muscles in the leg and hip area. When I first tried it, I learned how weak those muscles were even though I had been rehabilitating for awhile.

• Anonymous
      August 10, 2010 at 7:06 pm

First off? Go SLOW! You will know when you are about at the point of overdoing things. Switching from task to task/exercise to exercise is good too. Because you don’t over ‘do’ with a whole lot of repeats all at once, as in life, we use some functions sporadically or intermittently, then too much of one thing at once.
      Many athletes consider one day off training will require 3 days for each day off to ‘get back’ to where you were in the beginning. Sometimes it takes longer go achieve ‘normal’-like simple things! Be patient and DO NOT OVERDO!
      See if your doctor can issue orders for home programs as well? I found that using a pillow to stand on [holding onto something, of course] can help strengthen the legs, rubber bands around your fingers can help you stretch open your hands and therabands can be used for lots of ‘building’ exercises!
      So, you can get to do 40-50 sets of 10-stretches or contractions in bits of ten at home? You’ll find you can get up to 20-30 the therapist wants in less than 2 weeks, then it’s you up your home program get to 20-+ each time x10 at home.
      You can often find some things on sale at KMart or WalMart or on-line at Netfitco…why pay full price and for less than $50-90. you are set! The PT is to help you learn to do and use these things SAFELY.
      You must either avoid or change therapists if they are too ‘gung-ho!’? Sometimes educating them doesn’t hit the mark, then you could be ‘marked’ as an uncooperative patient–if that happens? Call the PT center manager and explain your issues and concerns. I sure hope you get lucky tho! Good therapists are getting harder to find and progress with than finding good doctors-and, WE ALL know what that is like!
      Keep at it, it may seem uphill now? But if there are things you can do at home to build strength? DO THEM. They work! Hope and good things!