problem with toenails

• Anonymous
      December 28, 2009 at 9:33 pm

Do any of you have problems with ingrown toenails since being dx with CIDP? Since this fall Ryan has been having problems with ingrown toenails and they get infected. I’m a little concerned and I am not sure if its caused by the CIDP since he doesn’t have alot of feeling in his feet or if its from all the meds h takes.

Just wondering….

Rhonda (Ryan’s mom)

• Anonymous
      December 28, 2009 at 10:17 pm

I have dealt with ingrown toenails early in my life. I had them cut back when I was 15, and have not had the problem since. I remember those days clearly, Big swollen infected toes that hurt to no end.

I took a bunch of anti-biotics and got the infection gone, and then they cut them back so i could heal. then a couple of weeks later they cut them back to the root and put some chemical in there to kill the root so they wouldn’t grow back.

If I remember correctly, the podiatrist said that the nail doesn’t grow flat, it has a lot of curve to it. the edges of the nail grow into the tissue and germs thrive in the dark moist environment. And then Voila!! problemas.

Fortunately, the surgery worked completely for me. I have had zero problems with the toes since 10th grade.(36 years ago)

Good luck
      Dick S

• Anonymous
      December 29, 2009 at 1:07 am

Hi Rhonda,
      Diabetics have circulation problems and have chronic issues with ingrown toenails and infections due to peripheral neuropathy. I think it must be similar for some with CIDP. Diabetics frequently have monthly foot care with podiatrists. Sounds like this might be something to consider for Ryan. I remember when I was nursing and working at an extended care facility a podiatrist would come in and deal with the ingrown toenails and do minor surgery on them–just as Dick described. He talked about having to remove the under lining of the toenail or it would grow back.
      Laurel

• December 29, 2009 at 2:34 pm

Kevin was born w/no toe nails, as he was 7 weeks early and apparently they did not come in. by day 10 they did and so our problems began. He had a surgery on one toe as every 6-8 weeks there was an infection that neccesitated a shot or 3 in the toe and an extraction of the side of the nail. For the permanent surgery, they made an incision in the side of the toe and sawed the little knub if you will off of the side. Typically the bone is straight and the nail grows straight, but Kevinhad a little extra piece at the end. he was about 10 months old, had about 5 stitches and they put him in a cast to heal because he was so young. To this day there have been no problems on that toe. The other big toe has continued to be problemaqtic every 9 months or so, he gets the shots in the toe and they yank it out. We have been lucly lateley as 2 years have gone by and no recent infections. I too have problems. I had what Dick is refering to done. It worked on one toe but not the other. Kevin’s doctor does not like doing the procedure for the very problem that I am experiencing on the one toe. After removing the side sliver of nail, they take a q-tip and jam acid in the corner to kill the root. The problem is that it does not always hit the entire root and then the nail grows back weird. For instanace, I now get an in-grown toe nail that grows up like topography on a map, instead of strainght into the corner of the tip of my toe. I just have to keep an eye on it and dig it out every couple of weeks.

I was told it is hereditary if it is the bone issue as well, it happens with just one wrong toe nail clipping of curved instead of straight across. BTW, picking at it also causes injury which in turn can cause fungus!!
      DAwn

• December 29, 2009 at 5:42 pm

Rhonda,

Six years ago my family doctor referred me to a large sports medicine practice to have my ingrown toe nail treated. I do not know the medical degree of the doctor who treated me. After cutting out the painful portion of my big toe nail the doctor said the ingrown toenail would always grow back weird. He recommended making an appointment to have surgery to remove the problem area down at the root. Well, my brother was getting married in a couple of weeks and I did not want to be hobbling any worse than usual so I put off making a firm descision.

It turns out that that nail has always grown back just fine. I am lucky enough to have my husband willing to cut my nails and he is always careful to trim them straight across and never too short. (This wonderful man also gave me a toe nail fungus that the prednisone made me susceptable to. We both treat our toes with a magic topical mix from our dermatologist. After almost 40 years together we share a bunch of doctors.) I also ask my husband to check the fit of any new shoes.

I have not had feeling in my feet for years. Of course they still “hurt” but I cannot feel injuries soon enough to protect myself (hot water, cuts, blisters, etc). I have a podiatrist who cares for my mother and I would pay out of pocket to have him over see my toe nails if necessary. Consider having a medical professional routinely care for Ryan’s toes for a couple of months before you commit to surgery.

Much sympathy to Ryan for the pain. I think the CIDP nerve damage makes it feel even worse than for a “normal” person.

Good luck,
      Flossie

• Anonymous
      December 29, 2009 at 8:05 pm

And because my feet are so numb or nerve-strange [some things I FEEL and others that I should, I don’t?] my Podiatrist is reluctant to do anything for fear of infection. Soo, every few weeks I go and get those toes ‘trimmed’ or excised or whatever…. The doc’s got to use about 3 times the normal topical number on me before working on my feet. I don’t scream or anything, but do utter a low and serious growl now and then? About 12 hours afterwards I’ve got to gently soak the toes to get the numbing residue off, drives me crazy! What nerves I’ve got left? I guess they are working triple time or something.
      IF those ingrowns aren’t trimmed on time? You bet I know it! BTW? My ingrowns started about 2 years before the CIDP. Don’t know if that helps any, I guess we are all subtly different in these quarters?
      Luckily, I’ve not gotten infections – KNOCK WOOD FAST!!!!!!!!!!
      Hope this helps even a little.