Pregnant Again!

• Anonymous
      March 24, 2009 at 9:59 am

HI All!

With my first pregnancy I got GBS when I was 28 weeks pregnant. This was in 2006.

By delivery I still had some facial paralysis and tiredness but overall doing well.

From then my face got a bit better and tiredness improved over the last couple of years.

I am now pregnant with my second child … I am almost 22 weeks now.

At first I was noticing a bit more tiredness in my legs and my face was a bit droopier and I kinda expected this from the pregnancy but last night my shins went numb! I have NEVER had this as a residual. Seems a bit better today although I still feel they are off. It is like it comes and goes … sometimes I stand up and they feel fine and then a while later they are numb again.

Anyone else get “new residuals” with later pregnancies?

It is very hard to think it could happen again … especially when I have a two year old at home. I can’t imagine. My biggest fear would be that we would lose our bond if I ended up back in the hospital – he is too young to understand.

Thanks
      Sharon

• March 24, 2009 at 2:54 pm

Hi Sharon,
      Congratulations on the new baby. Try to instant message a liason name Ali. She had gbs as a teenager and went on to deliver two children. She could be very helpful. Try to private message her, but also email her through this site, as she has not been on the site lateley. Since she is a liason, her phone is located in the yellow section of a news letter, or the foundation could give it to you.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      March 24, 2009 at 8:26 pm

Hi Sharon,
      Wooo Hoooo on the up coming baby. Try not to worry about this because the stress can also trigger residuals. Make sure your doctor is aware and up to date with everything going on with you and don’t hesitate to call them. We’ll keep you in our prayers. Can’t wait to see the new little one.

• Anonymous
      March 30, 2009 at 11:24 am

Thanks guys!

Well I am happy to say that at least these things are coming and going so I am slightly less concerned that it is happening again.

Funny how all of a sudden my body is saying … “HOLD ON HERE”! This weekend my legs felt like I had walked a major hike and all I did was have a shower. But after a rest I felt better.

17.5 weeks to go!!! 😀

• Anonymous
      April 4, 2009 at 2:42 pm

Sharon,

I was three months pregnant with my second child when I got GBS. My son was 2 at the time and I did not see him for over 3 months. It was so hard to be away from him for so long and I worried about how he would react to this long absence from me. The first time they brought him to see me, in the hospital, he crawled into bed next to me and didn’t want to leave. When my husband did take him home, I could hear him crying and calling for me until they got on the elevator. I cried buckets. When I finally did come home, he stuck to me like glue, even going with me to my physical therapy sessions. He is now 35 and does not remember anything about that time except for riding on my lap in the wheelchair.

I am glad you are feeling better. Just make sure you rest and take it easy.

God Bless

• Anonymous
      April 7, 2009 at 1:45 pm

WOW! You just brough big tears to my eyes! You poor girl. I can’t even imagine. That is so hard.

I am hanging in there … hoping for the best this time.

Thank you for sharing … I am so glad to hear your bond with him was still strong after.

• Anonymous
      April 10, 2009 at 10:36 am

Congratulations!

I am in my last 25 days of my first PG post a severe case of GBS in 2007. You can look at the posting of others in my thread Room 679. I too was quite concerned about being able to get PG and how my body would react. I was very fortunate to get off of my medicine for my residuals…had I not been able to tolerate these “reminders” being off meds, this PG would never been. Blessing from above. Fortunate for me I have not been hit with different or worse residuals until the last 2 months. I have dealt with increasing weakness and soreness…unexplained…not like I did alot the day of….it just seems my body is being quite taxed and like it was noted on your thread…”Hold on here!” I have other issues ongoing with stomach/bowel…however, being a “guinea pig” again with physicians who have never encountered a PG post GBS patient…no one can link these issues to PG alone, GBS alone, a combo of the two or viral. My numbness and tingling in my feet seem to alter a bit day to day with no rhyme or reason as well…but still tolerable. My best wishes to you and yours. I will pray that this journey is smoothe. It’s hard to not think about the ‘what if’s’. Just know your GBS supporters are behind you…focus on the present and take each day as it comes. Congratulations again! Oh, I did want to mention again, I had a one and a half year old when I was “hit” with GBS…she was a real trooper. Although at the time we thought she retained less than what she actually did. The older she becomes and now obviously able to have “discussions” the things she DOES remember and talks about…always brings a tear to my eye. The understanding she has of how her mom’s life is now altered is priceless…a lesson I took to heart. Although it is quite humbling she can beat me in a running race…the fact that I am an altered but able bodied mother…is my greatest gift…my focus on recovery was to be able to take part in her life as an active being (and a wife too) and I was blessed by having that returned to me. Sometimes it’s the little things or should I say the little people who teach us our greatest lessons and give us the greatest gifts. Take care!

Room 679;)

• Anonymous
      April 15, 2009 at 10:48 am

Thanks for your reply Room 679!

I am glad to see that you made it through a good part of the pregnancy somewhat trouble free! That is great news. And now you can see the end!! I am curious to hear how you manage recovery etc. and how your body reacts after you deliver your baby. Please do share with me!!!

Has your Doctor talked about an epidural with you? If you dont mind me asking what your plans are in that area??

My residuals are still up and down. I have good days and bad days. Some days I have NO energy and walking up the stairs seems like too much but then time goes on and I feel great again with only minor numbness. Strange. SO I am trying to get as much sleep as I can while I can but it is hard with working full time and a two year old at home.

I am coming up to my sugar test so fingers crossed that this time I do not get gestational diabetes on top!

15 weeks to go!!!!

Please keep us updated and BEST of LUCK on the birthday of your new baby! I will be thinking about you and can’t wait to hear the news!

Thanks!
      Sharon

• Anonymous
      April 15, 2009 at 10:51 am

I ALMOST forgot the MOST improtant part … CONGRATS to you!!!!

😀

• May 12, 2009 at 8:31 am

Congrats on the pregnancy – children are so much fun!

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2009 at 6:36 pm

Congrats Sharon on the coming of a new baby! I will keep you in my prayers that this pregnancy becomes much better than your last one and that you have this child with no problems involved. Keep us posted though about the baby and your health. In the meantime my prayers will be with in in hopes that everything goes okay! Good luck Sharon! Good luck! Hugs
      Linda H

• Anonymous
      May 21, 2009 at 3:59 pm

Hello there!

Just checking and responding to your inquiries. Baby and I finally ended our journey “together.” On May 1st our new little baby girl Brenna was born-7 lbs 8 oz and 21 inches. (another girl…her big sister was quite excited it was another girl) I must say…the second one came much faster (arrived at 12:45 AM at the hospital and delivered at 2:35 AM) and easier than her sister (this time is was one push and Brenna arrived-whew!). There were no GBS complications through the PG, delivery and so far none post delivery. Thank goodness that the 9 months of nausea abated right after delivery as well. I did notice the my fatigue and strength were affected that last month and a half or so of the PG. Not like just being PG as I noticed with my first child. I could tell it was my GBS residuals being affected. However, due to the IV stick I do have an aggrevated nerve (maybe the last normal working one…lol) in my right arm…prevents me from doing any laborous work as I get sharp stabbing pains mid forearm through the thumb (not so fun as it is my dominant hand) The physician stated…it’s a waiting game (when and IF it recovers)…isn’t it always a waiting game when it comes to “nerves?” My goodness…I guess of all things that could have happened or occurred I will count the blessings that I ended up with only this issue post delivery, right?

Now being 10 months off of any medication for GBS and being that far further in recovery (2 years as of May 9) I am real curious to see how my body will be (curious if my residuals will change or not) and to what extent I have recovered without the masking and load of the pregnancy on my body. Getting up off the floor is much easier (obviously not being PG) but easier than what I was able to do last July prior to this pregnancy. (just one marker of mine I use to evaluate my functioning) I have not noticed that my residuals are any worse now post delivery. Still trying to catch up on some sleep. I do find that I tend to tire more easily…and therefore going to bed at 8 or 9 when I was PG is still an ongoing trend post PG. I too did find that stairs kicked my butt going up and down them towards the end of the PG…and they still can be a challenge for me. I didn’t feel the fatigue during PG of having a young one at home (my 3 and 1/2 year old). However, post delivery, juggling life, routines, and all that jazz I can see that I might be in for a challenge and increased fatigue…I just try and keep things in perspective and hope I can just function as best I can and am thankful I have had the opportunity to function as much as I have been blessed with and returned back to me. (don’t get me wrong…I get discouraged too…more often that what I would like to or should…but then something takes me back to not where I was before GBS but where I was WITH GBS and I would take anything over where I was WITH GBS).

I went into delivery with all knowing I wanted pain meds. I had planned for an epidural. Seeing as though I was dilating so fast they didn’t think the epidural would take quick enough…so they opted to give me an “interthecal” (not sure of spelling) injection. Injection into the spinal column (a narcotic similar to an epidural) works immediately but only lasts 2-3 hours. This can be administered more than once if delivery does not take place in the 2-3 hour time frame. With the epidural with my first PG I had no pain at all and only felt pressure with contractions (sweet deal). This injection was less effective. They stated I might not have gotten the full effects due to the quickness of the labor…however. It took the edge off of the contractions. I still had to breathe through them (felt like menstrual, bad menstrual cramps) but I could tolerate them. My legs were not completely numb but weak and my “bottom” was completely numb so any dilation checks/repairs were not felt at all. Which was also different…when I became 10 cm the cramps were as if I had not had the injection (extreme contractions) so I knew it was time to push and when I did push because everything was numb below I couldn’t tell how hard I was pushing or how effective I was. However, based on the fact it was one push and she came out I guess it all worked out. I did have a tear which could have been due to how hard and fast I pushed and she came but I didn’t feel it nor the repair b/c of the injection. One nurse thought that the epidural might not work based on my GBS (not sure her reasoning). There is the risk of a headache like an epidural…I didn’t get one…most commonly the reaction to the injection is itching…and that I did get but it wasn’t extreme by any means. I hope this gives you some insight for your delivery.

Please keep us posted on how you are progressing and how your delivery goes. I wish you all the best and pray that it’s speedy and “easy” for you as well. Stay focused and positive…these weeks will pass by in no time. Good luck.

Room 679

• Anonymous
      May 26, 2009 at 12:25 pm

HI ALL!

CONGRATS Room 679! That is excellent news! I am very happy for you. Thanks so much for sharing your story! Nice and quick for you! That is great.

I am still plugging along … I am now almost 31 weeks! Seems like I have been pregnant forever. I was very happy to pass the 28 week mark this time since that is when I fell sick the first pregnancy. I was pretty nervous leading up to it … almost like it was a magic point but it passed like any other day. It is hard to believe that at this point last time I was still in the ICU. I still find myself wondering and almost waiting for all hell to break lose again. Silly isn’t it?

I have to do another sugar test since I was “just” passing the last one.

But so far things are good! My OB is hoping we will sail right through this time.

Things have been holding steady for the last little while. I have some usual pregnancy issues like my sciatic nerve acting up and swelling in my feet and ankles. GBS residuals are still there but not worse thank goodness. Definitely way more tired the last little while but I am not sure if it is pregnancy or GBS.

I spoke with an anasthesiologist about epidurals etc. She feels pretty confident that this time I can have one! 😀 I am hoping I don’t need to but it is nice to know that I can get some relief this time if I choose to.

I will keep you posted!

Congrats again Room 679!

Sharon