Pregabalin medication??

• Anonymous
      May 11, 2006 at 2:33 am

[COLOR=”Blue”]Hello everyone!

It is great to see the forums back up and running. I have a question about a medication that I am taking for the pain in my legs. It is called Lyrica and its ingredient is pregabalin. Does anyone else use this and is it effective for you? What dose do you take? I am taking 150mg twice per day. I have found it to cause me to be drowsy and has taken a bit of the pain away but not all.

Any help would be appreciated.
      Best Wishes
      Debbie[/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      May 11, 2006 at 7:13 am

Debbie,

I take 100 mg Lyrica 2x day. Like you it makes me somewht drowsy (but seems to be the worst right after taking the meds and wears off as the day progresses). For me it does not fully take away the pain. Also it has caused me to gain weight.

• Anonymous
      May 11, 2006 at 1:10 pm

debbie,

before the forum went down there was confirmation that one of lyrica’s side effects can be gbs. that does not seem to bother the folks that are taking it. i just tried to confirm the info myself but the info is fuzzy. its chief benefit over neurontin is that you do not have to take it as often. i will do a better job later. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2006 at 1:25 am

Wow Gene that scares the pants off of me. Do you know where I can look at some info on lyrica whether the info is fuzzy or not?
      Thanks for your reply.
      Thanks also to Kathryn for your reply.

Debbie

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2006 at 4:28 am

Lyrica – pregabalin – is daughter of Gabapentin/neurontin.
      gene – “before the forum went down there was confirmation that one of lyrica’s side effects can be gbs.” Goodness knows where someone got that crazy idea from. Take a look at this site about Lyrica.[(Link deleted by Administration)
      An interesting video there.:rolleyes:

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2006 at 8:48 am

Here is some information on it. I hope it is not the same link. But check page 43. [url]http://(Link deleted by administration)
      I take Lyrica, I did not know this until you mentioned it and I read up on it.
      Scary to say the least.

I have blurred vision, but am not sure if it is from the lyrica, or my long overdue eye exam. I have not had my glasses replaced in 6 years. So could just be that.

I do have the fatigue. Hits me hard and I have to fight hard not to go back to bed. I generally nap 1-2 times a day. Bad days, maybe 3. Some I can tell is related to the med because of when it hits. But much of my napping, is just because I have the extreme fatigue.

I take 75 mg three times a day, so I take a pretty low dose.

Blu

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2006 at 1:23 pm

kens,
      been to the site you site. it gives link to what it says will give all side effects, but it does not, it says see your doc. more importantly, see below.

blu,
      pg 43 may not be the pg you want us to read. could you pls double check. thx. the url you posted has not been previously posted & is more thorough.

[url]http://(Link deleted by Administration)]
      would the person or persons who posted about lyrica’s paperwork saying there was a chance of getting gbs from it pls let me know by posting on this thread or privately if you can remember where it was you saw this. i’m trying to confirm this. if there was some error in reading the paperwork no biggie just trying to find out what it is. if anyone has any leads for me, pls e or pm me. thx. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2006 at 10:06 pm

I am so sorry. I was tired. Someone mentioned it was on page 36 of that report not 43 as I stated. I doubled checked and that is correct, page 36.

Guess I was pretty tired when I posted that.

Blu

• Anonymous
      May 12, 2006 at 10:39 pm

blu, got it, thx. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99

• Anonymous
      August 1, 2006 at 1:12 pm

Hello,

My name is Angee, and I take Neurontin, and baclofen(for muscle spasms).

I have never heard of Lyra, is it?

<333 Angee

• Anonymous
      August 2, 2006 at 9:03 am

angee,

neurontin is safer than lyrica & should be tried 1st. for a few it dies not work. if neurotin doesn’t work for you, you can try elevil, topamax, lamictal, trileptal, keppra. if none of these work you can consider lyrica, but remember a possible side effect of lyrica is gbs. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99

• Anonymous
      August 2, 2006 at 1:54 pm

🙂 I took it and did not like it. I had blurred vision and my hands & feet swelled and I had Mood swings 1 minute I would be fine and the next I would get mad if someone said something to me and I would cry a lot. So I went off and I take Neurotin 800 mg 3 times a day.

GBS 12-2005

• Anonymous
      August 2, 2006 at 2:54 pm

Neurontin stopped working as well for me at a tolerable dose, I had to take far too much to get relief (2400mg or more). Anyway I went off Neurontin and started on Lyrica a few weeks ago, I take 600mg per day and my feet feel normal for the first time since November 2003. I haven’t noticed any side effects yet and I feel much more clear headed then I did on Neurontin.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      August 3, 2006 at 8:38 pm

Jerimy,

I notice you take 600mg of Lyrica a day. Do you take 2 x 300mg? I only take 300mg a day and it has helped me a lot but I still have some pain in my feet. Does it make you feel spaced out or drowsy with that dose? Maybe I could increase my dosage with my doctors ok.

Debbie

• Anonymous
      August 3, 2006 at 10:31 pm

I took Lyrica for about a month and a half. I was taking 75mg twice a day and it didn’t do anything for me but make me about 450 bucks poorer. If I were to guess I felt at best maybe 5% less pain while I was on it than not taking anything at all. I started Neurontin 300mgx3/day and it’s 1000000% better than Lyrica ever was for me of course the dosage differences could and probably are skewing my “figures” here. I am noticing that I’m going to have to ask my Dr. to up my dosage amounts when I see him next. It’s only been about a week or so since I’ve been on it but it’s not killing the pain like it did at first (although I’m greatful to the chemists that made this stuff for now I can actually walk about 6 blocks) so I’m guessing a slight uppage or perhaps an extra pill per day would be a fix, at least for the short term.

One thing I did notice w/ Neurontin is that it only helps w my foot pain. My back, knees and so forth get no benefit. I guess it’s because of being a different type of pain physiologically speaking. My normal morning ritual is 1 neurontin, 2-4 aspirin and 300mg’s of Thiamine right after I wake up.

• Anonymous
      August 4, 2006 at 10:40 am

Hey Debbie,

I don’t feel the fog or tiredness on 600mg at all. Lyrica has been wonderful so far for me.

Jer

[quote=Debbie]Jerimy,

I notice you take 600mg of Lyrica a day. Do you take 2 x 300mg? I only take 300mg a day and it has helped me a lot but I still have some pain in my feet. Does it make you feel spaced out or drowsy with that dose? Maybe I could increase my dosage with my doctors ok.

Debbie[/quote]

• Anonymous
      August 5, 2006 at 7:06 pm

Jerimy,

I might give that a go. Thanks.

Debbie

• Anonymous
      August 5, 2006 at 7:51 pm

I find the Lyrica helps my anxiety but I am allowed 300mg a day. 2×75 in the morning and 2 x 75 in the evening but I find in the daytime 150mg is to much. I go see my DR on Aug.15 about the result of my CT Scan for my lower back will aks her if I can have 100mg 3 times a day. It’s mostly for my ankle/foot where I had the nerve biopsy on. Also I like the fact it helps my anxiety problems.

Sue

• Anonymous
      August 6, 2006 at 4:05 pm

Gene, There is absolutely no real evidence to support your statement “but remember a possible side effect of lyrica is gbs.” Why do you keep saying this?

• Anonymous
      August 6, 2006 at 8:28 pm

Ken on page 36 of the literature it states
      Other Adverse Events Observed During the Clinical Studies of LYRICA
      (pregabalin)
      Nervous System – Frequent: Anxiety, Depersonalization, Hypertonia, Hypesthesia,
      Libido decreased, Nystagmus, Paresthesia, Stupor, Twitching; Infrequent: Abnormal
      dreams, Agitation, Apathy, Aphasia, Circumoral paresthesia, Dysarthria, Hallucinations,
      Hostility, Hyperalgesia, Hyperesthesia, Hyperkinesia, Hypokinesia, Hypotonia, Libido
      increased, Myoclonus, Neuralgia, Rare: Addiction, Cerebellar syndrome, Cogwheel
      rigidity, Coma, Delirium, Delusions, Dysautonomia, Dyskinesia, Dystonia,
      Encephalopathy, Extrapyramidal syndrome, [COLOR=black][SIZE=4]Guillain Barre syndrome[/SIZE][/COLOR], Hypalgesia,
      Intracranial hypertension, Manic reaction, Paranoid reaction, Peripheral neuritis,
      Psychotic depression, Schizophrenic reaction, Torticollis, Trismus

[url]http://(Link deleted by Administration)

• Anonymous
      August 8, 2006 at 4:42 am

Sue Watters, I cannot find a page 36 on that link. Only goes to 20!
      I believe that this ground has been gone over before.

• Anonymous
      August 8, 2006 at 6:24 am

ken,

sue is correct. lyrica can cause gbs.

(Link deleted by Administration))] page 36
      Other Adverse Events Observed During the Clinical Studies of LYRICA :
      Nervous System – Frequent: Anxiety, Depersonalization, Hypertonia, Hypesthesia, Libido decreased, Nystagmus, Paresthesia, Stupor, Twitching; Infrequent: Abnormal dreams, Agitation, Apathy, Aphasia, Circumoral paresthesia, Dysarthria, Hallucinations, Hostility, Hyperalgesia, Hyperesthesia, Hyperkinesia, Hypokinesia, Hypotonia, Libido increased, Myoclonus, Neuralgia, Rare: Addiction, Cerebellar syndrome, Cogwheel rigidity, Coma, Delirium, Delusions, Dysautonomia, Dyskinesia, Dystonia, Encephalopathy, Extrapyramidal syndrome,**** GUILLIAN BARRE SYNDROME****, Hypalgesia, Intracranial hypertension, Manic reaction, Paranoid reaction, Peripheral neuritis, Psychotic depression, Schizophrenic reaction, Torticollis, Trismus

UR right. we have gone over this before. but not in the results. i know memory fails [none worse than mine.] pls let’s not find a need to go over this a 3rd time. it wastes all of our time which we gbsers are limited in. thx. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99