prednisolone reduction amounts

• January 13, 2015 at 9:24 am

Hi,
      I have Just been placed onto Prednisolone 40mg per day, after havinf=g a bad eaction to IVIG.
      I have been told that I am to take the 40mg a day for two weeks and then reduce it right away down to 30mg?
      Having read various posts i see that most of the reductions seem to be done in 1-2mg at a time, not 10mg at once.
      So, is this normal and is it ok please?

• GH
      January 13, 2015 at 10:04 am

I don’t know what is usual, but ? was started at 60 and this was gradually reduced to zero over the course of about a year while I was switching to mycophenolate mofetil. The initial decreases were not 1 mg steps, but larger. At the end I was taking 1 mg every other day. Two weeks seems a rather short time before the first reduction. Best to discuss it with your neurologist.

• January 13, 2015 at 10:09 am

Who i don’t see for the next 4 months 🙁
      but i do have to call her sec after a month, so i guess i could ask her then.
      jut that a 10mg drop at once seems large to me (25%)

• GH
      January 13, 2015 at 11:53 am

Not only large, but rather soon. However there is no one protocol which is best for everyone. Treatment for these neuropathies must be individualized. Since you are seeing your neurologist infrequently, it is important to monitor your strength regularly and as objectively as you can. Persistent loss of strength must be reported to your neurologist.

• January 13, 2015 at 12:07 pm

Many thanks GH , will do! 🙂