Praying Mantis

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2008 at 1:58 pm

Anne was out doing some gardening and I peeked my head out to see how she was doing……that’s as much help she can expect from me….and she said she saw a praying mantis!

So, in my underwear and bare feet I grabbed my camera and went out…..I had my 70-300VR on the camera, not a great choice for insects! I grabbed a couple of shots anyway…had to manual focus and keep my distance sicne the 70-300 doesn’t have a very close-focus ability.

Anyway, I got this shot that was useable……certainly not of “macro” calibre, but okay for me!

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3172/2818567072_128ac56289_o.jpg[/img]

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2008 at 3:32 pm

[FONT=Georgia]I like that photo Ken, I take it you live in an area where your not close to alot of other houses. I can do that where I live as I’m out in a rural area, of Ky. ๐Ÿ˜‰ [/FONT]

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2008 at 3:39 pm

Ken, great shot. Around here if there you have praying mantises there aren’t a whole lot of bugs around. They eat the little critters before they get a chance to eat your garden.

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2008 at 3:43 pm

[QUOTE=Terry 1][FONT=Georgia]I like that photo Ken, I take it you live in an area where your not close to alot of other houses. I can do that where I live as I’m out in a rural area, of Ky. ๐Ÿ˜‰ [/FONT][/QUOTE]

Thank you Terry!

……lol….we live in a house surrounded with others like sardines in a can…I mean this IS California and we don’t have the big $$$! But our backyard is decent for CA standards….and have lots of nice plants and trees!

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2008 at 3:44 pm

[QUOTE=Jim C]Ken, great shot. Around here if there you have praying mantises there aren’t a whole lot of bugs around. They eat the little critters before they get a chance to eat your garden.[/QUOTE]

Thank you Jim! I wish we had more of these around!

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2008 at 4:02 pm

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Here’s a thought Ken maybe sometime you can travel to Ky & take a photo of the Castle in Versailles Ky. It caught fire a few yrs back but from what I understand, it is well on the way to being restored.[/FONT]

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2008 at 4:09 pm

Hi Ken, liked your pix of the praying mantis! I had two good shots for you though had you been here:D . I had a baby praying mantis crawling up the side of my cup of McD’s sweet tea. Scared the heck out of me. I don’t like creepy crawlies. I know they are good for sometthing so I tried to shoo it off my cup and out of my garage. Managed to get it to a potted plant and lost it. Then I saw all these little seeds on my portulacas on the deck. I had a pitcher that I was using to water the plants and brushed the seeds into the pitcher. Well the pitcher still had some residue water in it so dumped the seeds out onto a paper towel on the counter to dry. I checked them about an hour later and the seeds weren’t seeds:eek: They were little tiny spiders crawling all over my counter! What would have been the better pix, the insects or me noticing the insects, haha. Thanks for sharing the pix, well done!

• Anonymous
      September 1, 2008 at 6:07 pm

[QUOTE=Terry 1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Here’s a thought Ken maybe sometime you can travel to Ky & take a photo of the Castle in Versailles Ky. It caught fire a few yrs back but from what I understand, it is well on the way to being restored.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

I’ve been through Kentucky several times……maybe on my next trip to Florida!

• Anonymous
      September 6, 2008 at 7:49 am

Very beautiful Ken! So glad the mailman was not delivering a package! ๐Ÿ˜€ LOL! Or could I say mail lady! Beautiful photo!

• Anonymous
      September 6, 2008 at 11:45 am

[QUOTE=LindaH]Very beautiful Ken! So glad the mailman was not delivering a package! ๐Ÿ˜€ LOL! Or could I say mail lady! Beautiful photo![/QUOTE]

Thank you Linda!

We have a mail lady……:)

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2008 at 2:33 am

Awesome Capture, Ken!!
      I can just see you running out there in your skivies to get that shot!!!;) ๐Ÿ˜€
      I’ll have to find my mantis shots from the other day, they didn’t come out as good as your’s did though.:rolleyes:

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2008 at 1:12 pm

[QUOTE=angel2ndclass22699]Awesome Capture, Ken!!
      I can just see you running out there in your skivies to get that shot!!!;) ๐Ÿ˜€
      I’ll have to find my mantis shots from the other day, they didn’t come out as good as your’s did though.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Thank you Cheryl!

Everyone will just have to use their imagination to see me in my “unmentionables”…..:eek: And you will be better off by far than seeing the actual image.

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2008 at 6:02 pm

Too funny Ken! When I first met my husband many many years back. It was right when we first got married. I bought him a pair of glow in the dark I Heart You Boxers for Valentine’s. It was a gag gift but he ended up wearing them for me! We were living in an apartment back then and it was on the bottom floor. Almost like a condo! Well I went to sleep that night and he went to sleep and I thought I was having a dream!
      It was around midnight when I heard some voices at our bedroom window saying “Yoo-hoo! Anybody in there? Sounds quiet enough to break in huh?”
      My husband sailed out of bed and I was waking up and when I opened my eyes all I could see was my husbands legs going out that window busting right through the screen.
      Ken! I thought they snatched my husband out the window by his head. Instead my husband flew out the window head first in his I heart you boxers that were glowing in the dark! My husband chased those teens down the road in his boxers and I am in the apartment freaking out! I didn’t know if he was dead or alive. My husband has a loud voice when he gets mad and I suddenly head this screaming at teens down the road and believe me his words were not nice ones. He actually caught 3 of those teens but 2 got away.
      I opened the front door and all these porch light’s are turning on and everybody is standing at their doorway looking around to see what was going on! ROFL! Next thing I see is my husband walking down the sidewalk in his glowing bloomers! He just walked right past them and came into the house. As we was walking by them he would say “How are you doing!” I just about died in laughter! Sure glad the front had a snap to keep his fly closed! ROFL! Hugs

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2008 at 6:48 pm

Now [B][U]THAT[/U][/B] would be worth a photo! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

….and good for him, that he went after them!

• Anonymous
      September 18, 2008 at 4:51 pm

Another great set of photo’s.
      Thanks