Power wheeelchair: suggestions needed

• Anonymous
      August 6, 2006 at 2:52 pm

[B][COLOR=”Green”]Hello everyone! I am seeking suggestions for power wheelchairs that are portable and will fold to put in the back seat of the car or trunk. I have just moved to California and many places do not have electric carts/wheelchairs.
      Best wishes to all.
      Lillie[/COLOR][/B]

• Anonymous
      August 7, 2006 at 2:10 am

Hi Lillie, I’m not quite to needing a power wheelchair yet or at least I can still get around it. On a bad day though I did some research on the internet and found a few places that offer lots of variety. For some reason I bookmarked [url]www.phc-online.com[/url] and this chair in particular. I think because it encompassed everything I thought I’d need, particulary the back, foot and arm rests being adjustable. It’s not as pricey as some others I’ve seen but maybe that means it’s not as durable? Good luck Lillie!
      Julie

(link deleted by administration)

• Anonymous
      August 7, 2006 at 2:11 am

I’m really new at this, my link didn’t show up – sorry!

(link deleted by administration)

• Anonymous
      August 8, 2006 at 12:18 pm

I have had the Jazzy 1113 for 4 years now & love it. It is so easy to get around almost any house with & has the extra suspension for outside traveling, such as hills, gravel, etc. I do believe it cost my insurance around $4000, but it has certainly been worth it. When couldn’t walk at all, we were lucky enough to get a van with a lift. Now I haven’t needed to take it outside my home for over a year, but I still like having that option available to me.

It is supposed to be fairly easy to take apart, but I have not had to do so. I still prefer to use it as my computer chair, as well as my diningroom chair because of its great back support.
      Pam

• Anonymous
      August 8, 2006 at 9:00 pm

Hey, Lillie…
      Check out (link deleted by administration) & look at their ‘At’m’. It is lightweight & disassembles easily, but packs a good amount of power. I checked one out for my mother when she was considering a power chair that would be easy for her to break down & take with, which the At’m is.
      Debi

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2006 at 3:57 pm

Thank you to those who replied. The links you provided were deleted by the website administrator. Please send the links to me at [email]licochea@yahoo.com[/email]
      Thank you so much!
      Lillie;)

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2006 at 11:02 pm

Lillie,
      I have a Merits chair but it is not easily disassembled and reassembled. I was told by the person who owns the company where I got it, that most power chairs are not real easy to take apart and put back together. I really don’t know if this is the truth or not. I have a unit in my van that lifts and loads the chair. If you are interested send me an e-mail and I will give you the info and where I got it. As well as how it works.
      lea

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2006 at 12:13 am

Lillie, Nice to meet you.

I have a big HD Quantum Chair, made by Jazzy. This thing invoiced at $20000.that Uncle Sam, got for me. It has made a world of difference! I have barely used my car this Summer! Only a couple tanks of Fuel all Summer! I wish I had the mobility of taking it with me. It’s too big, I have to get a hoist and a trailer or van. I have seen a system that picks up and retracts the chair into the back of a van. You have to be able to stand up for a while and fasten the thing down and use a remote control to use it. Back to the subject.

I suggest you consider the servicing of the powerchair. I had problems with mine and the people who sold and serviced it are from out of town, but make a weekly visit to the home that I live at, the people here help me with getting it fixed. No matter how good it is, it will have to be repaired and serviced sooner or later. Make sure you can get parts and service, now and in the future. Things wear out sooner than you think! Armrests, tires and you break things sometimes going through narrow doorways. Things are expensive too.

Good Luck, Paul.