Post surgery hernia today

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2008 at 9:23 pm

๐Ÿ™ Had surgery this a.m. to repair a iguanal hernia (spelling) this a.m. I was a little nervous about the aneshtesia etc.. , but everything went fine.. I went to the hospital at 9:15 and was home by 3 to see the kids get off the bus from 1st day of school.. Let me tell you right now I am in a lot of pain! My wife says “now I might understand what its like being pregnant”…. the pain pills are helping.. I consulted with the doctors re: my gbs, and no residuals from that…
      Its funny but when you tell a nurse a doctor about gbs/cidp, they all have a story to tell of so and so..
      Well, I guess I’m gonna be taking a break from exercise for a while! by the way, I think I got this hernia indirectly from being so weak from the gbs, but the surgeon didn’t think so.. They put in a mesh and made two little incisions.. One right thru the belly button.. No sewing… amazing what they do now…
      Hope this helps for anyone else considering surgery like this…deanop:eek:

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2008 at 9:30 pm

Hey glad you came through the surgery well and hope that you heal quickly! I question your doc saying that your hernia was not related to your GBS. What’s the difference between straining to pick up heavy weights and straining to lift your muscle-weakened legs that feel like they weigh 100 lbs each! ๐Ÿ˜€ Best wishes to ya!

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2008 at 10:13 pm

Thank you smiley.. Yes, I feel my stomach/groin muscles (no punning), are quite a bit weaker since 10/07.. Oh well…… I guess I’m going to be just a teeny bit more careful for a while…. Boy this hurts, I wonder if the doc forgot the sharpie marker inside me!:) Oh, and guess what… I think you guys are going to get sick of me, cause I’m kinda going to be on the computer/t.v., alot more in the short term!
      Dean

• September 2, 2008 at 10:35 pm

Are you kidding! We would not get sick of you!!! I bet we will get to know you even more since you will be spending more time with us!!! Get well soon and take it easy. My brother in law had that surgery and tried to get back to normal too soon, he payed for it!!! An extra prayer for you tonight.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2008 at 10:52 pm

Thank you Dawn…

By the way, I’ve got the best (in my book), caregiver in the whole world as well… (my mom would be tied if she were still with us)…. Don’t tell my wife, my mom was number one…..
      My wife makes these days so much more bearable.., even on the toughest days… Days that I didn’t think I’d be alive the next day…. This past year has probably taught me some of lifes greatest lessons.. To be thankful for everything we are given…. And to tell those special people in our lives how much we love them…. and although we husbands don’t always say it we should…. And even if our moms, wives spouses are not with us anymore, I think its those people that keep us going… I know I said a big prayer this a.m., before surgery, for all the great people I know and have known in my life….
      Now don’t let me be any more mushy than that…. I’m gonna try to see if I can sleep….. Hope so.. don’t think its gonna happen quite yet….deanop

• Anonymous
      September 2, 2008 at 11:26 pm

Dean, glad things went well for you today. Rest, and take care. Don’t over do it.

Thinking of you. Hope you sleep well.

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2008 at 1:12 am

Hi Dean

Hope you feel better in the morning! I thought your comments about your wife were lovely, and I have definitely learned the whole “be grateful for what you have” thing…these last few years have shown me that lots of money and super success at work don’t mean anything if you are unwell.

I just came home from the hospital after my IVIg. I am sure that I will feel better tomorrow. Things have been abit average; so I need this to perk me up!

Take care
      Debs

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2008 at 4:41 am

Hi Dean! So glad your surgery went well but hate to hear you are in pain. Just take it easy for awhile and don’t overpush or do any lifting until that doctors okays it.
      I had spine surgery on 3 disk back in May and was scared to death. Anything to do with the spinal cord and spine to me is a dangerous process. They did that surgery and had me up that night walking and let me go home the next day. It hurt and was painful but I actually had more pain before the surgery and am glad I had that surgery done.
      Did great for 2 weeks and then I had an attack on my nervous system. Still not diagnosed yet! But my back no longer hurts me anymore! ๐Ÿ˜€
      But I have Systemic lupus too and my immune system can do some crazy things.
      At least you have yourself a good caregiver there helping you out. Before you know it you’ll be up and at it again! Get well soon!

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2008 at 8:31 am

Dean.
      What a difference age makes. Our 27 year old son went through the hernia surgery. After his first day he went through it with a breeze without pain meds. My 55 year old husband went through the same hernia surgery as you did. It was very rough on him and he needed the pain meds and was off work 5 weeks. Take care not to over do things even when the pain goes away and you are feeling better. I’m sure that special caregiver you have will be keeping a close eye on you. How right you are, our caregivers are very special people.
      Hope you are feeling better today.
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2008 at 8:38 am

Glad it went well for you. My Dad had that surgery in Toronto,because no other doc was doing the mesh thing then, in Mi. It has ben very succesful.
      It was done 20 or so years ago with no problems.Ive ben working with this women all summer and she went to tennese to help her sister last weekend,painting and building a ramp. I asked her what was wrong with her sisiter and she told me they call it CIDP.boy did we have the conversation after that. Take care and hope your recovery is progressing well.
      Ron

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2008 at 10:18 am

๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks you guys for the great encouragement! Shirley, I think your right about the age vs recovery thing.. I almost declined to take the pain meds yesterday, due to gbs concerns, but so far I’m really glad I took them.. I don’t think I’d of gotten any sleep last night..
      I’ve been getting a little more uninterrupted rest with less pain today, and plan to take it real slow…
      Hi Ron.. Its good to hear from you.. Don’t ya think its more than coincidence we are meeting people all the time that share our “rare” conditions..
      Hi Linda.. Yes I’m going to be very watchful for any nerve related issues stemming from this..
      Thanks Debs….Hope you have a good healthy ivig kick… I was scheduled tommorrow and friday, but I’m really gonna try to push it back into next week unfortunately…
      Jan… Hope the haying weather is cooperating, or you are able to take a break from it.. Yesterday, a line of thunderstorms came thru Minnesota, and about noon I was just coming out of sleep… Those boomers shook the building, and the power was flickering in surgery.. I was glad my surgery was done!
      Well, I’m gonna rest…..Here’s hoping you guys have a great day!
      dean:)

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2008 at 11:26 am

You sound better today Dean! Glad it is going okay. Our son had the same surgery at about 4 years old….needless to say he never lost a step…he was right back at things within a couple days. It was hard to keep him down so that he didn’t undo what the surgery did. So I do think age plays a big part in recovery. Keep resting and looking forward to hear how well you are doing!

Wanted to add, baling is done for a week or so. I get a bit of a break and then back at it for the second cut. We should be starting that this weekend and hopefully we don’t get rain between cutting and baling. Should wind it up quite quickly if we don’t.

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2008 at 4:19 pm

Hey Dean, glad to hear you were able to get some good rest! Sending wishes for a quick recovery!

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2008 at 3:57 am

Are you up and about abit? Or still stuck to the TV? ๐Ÿ™‚

Hope that your recovery is uneventful and that you are feeling more like yourself. Also hope that the sun is shining and that you can enjoy a nice day.

It is a howling southerly gale today (from the Antarctic winter!) — cold and very wet….can’t wait for spring.

Take care
      Debs

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2008 at 8:08 am

Hi Deanop,

I had to have pretty much the exact same procedure. LH Inguinal hernia repair.

When I discovered it, I was kind of scaired. I looked down and saw this huge bump at the base of the abs. I thought I had a tumor or something. Got to pushing on it and It looked better but still there. One sneeze and Boom, back out. I actually figured out what it was on the darn internet. Went to the doc and said, “I think I have Hernia”, he said , yup, yes you do.

The doctor put the mesh patch in like you have. It hurt for a few days then slowly most of the surgery trauma pain goes away. For a few months you may feel the patch a bit. Once the muscle grows around it you shouldn’t feel
      anything anymore. I still have some localized numbness there. I attribute that to some focal CIDP. Everytime I have a surgery, I get some additional sensory loss there for whatever the reason.

Good luck with it. don’t lift anything too much for while and it’l heal right up.

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2008 at 8:40 am

๐Ÿ™‚ Hi guys and gals:

Things are pretty going as good as expected.. Pain has finally subsided (although still taken pain meds.).. I’m getting around on my own so I think if I take it slow, in a month or two, I’ll be back to my normal :confused: ๐Ÿ™‚ self..
      Tim, I was hoping you would post, as I remember reading your post, right about the same time this stinking hernia came on.. Thanks for your relaying your issues…. Maybe there’s some cidp/hernia club we can join… If you don’t mind, I might pm you with some additonal questions related to recovery….strengthening….etc…
      Hi Debs, yes the electric bill is going to be quite a bit higher with all the electronics running…. Funny you mention winds/gales.. We get northeasterns around here (gale winds off lake superior)…

Thanks again everyone for your concern, and I’ll post if something drastic happens.. Lets hope not!

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2008 at 12:27 pm

Hi Deanop-adding to the list of well wishers.:)
      Glad all is coming well.
      In Michigan we are getting the remnants of Hurricane/tropical storm Gustav-it was 94 here Tuesday and today it is 54 and COLD and rainy.
      Take good care,
      Emma