possitive emg negative ncv

• Anonymous
      August 19, 2009 at 8:41 pm

my new doctor ran the emg/ncv. My NCV came up healthy. as soon as he stuck the needle into my feet for the emg he said thats not normal theres definite demyelination going on here. same with my hands. he is perplexed about the discrepency. he showed me a poping noise the machine was making and said thats not healthy. I said so whats next? He said he is not sure he will call me tomorrow. but he did mention biopsy. I dont think things are conclusive enough to go onto treatment. he thinks I will have to go to UCLA or UCSF for the biopsy. at least I could visit my folks in the bay area. has anyone had this discrepency? does anyone know where I could get a biopsy and not have to wait too long to get in? I am so tired of tests. its not even the testing that bothers me, its the anticipation of finding a result that would put an end to the testing and then instead getting another dead end.

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2009 at 2:04 pm

In my research I learned that NCV’s check your nerves & EMG’s check your muscles. So if your NCV is normal & EMG isn’t, then it sounds like you have something going on with your muscles. It doesn’t mean you don’t have CIDP. I’m not sure what it means with regards to a diagnosis but this is a good start to getting an answer.

If the dr doesn’t call you back tomorrow then I would suggest calling him before lunchtime.

Here is a link explaining the tests:
      (NCV)

[url]http://www.medicinenet.com/nerve_conduction_velocity_test/article.htm[/url]

(EMG)

[url]http://www.medicinenet.com/electromyogram/article.htm[/url]

Have you ever had a blood test to check your CPK?

Kelly

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2009 at 11:49 pm

its funny my doctor was all gung ho on on CIDP. now I think he has just realized that no one has bothered to take the blood tests to rule out everything that can be ruled out from blood tests. I had them 5 years ago but its nice to beat the dead horse all over again just in case this is a different kind of polyneuropathy than the one I have had before. sure would be nice if this were hypothyroidism or a vitamin b definciency.

• August 21, 2009 at 11:05 am

Charcott Marie Tooth, MS, DADS, Heavy Metals, Lymes Disease? Blood tests, skin nerve biopsy
      (since ncv/emg are speculative) As well, is the doc that did the ncv/emg experienced in administering them? Not all docs are qualified to give and read the results. What about just going to Mayo, they would be equiped to run all tests and have experiences with all diseases. Many tests that docs order actually go to Mayo to be read. At Mayo, all of the docs would work together and look at the whole picture.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      August 21, 2009 at 11:30 am

I think the doc knows what he is doing and he took his time and went all the way up into my lower back. besides the emg was the one that had the results. I believe the ncv tech was capable as well. I called Ken’s doctors office and they accept my insurance. its only a 4 hour drive to lovely so cal so I might give that a whirl but I dont think my ins. is up to cover anymore emgs for a while. there are alot of options and tests left to do and according to my NCV, I still have time to waste.