Poetry and such…

• August 17, 2008 at 12:14 am

I’d love to read what others have written. If anyone would like to share, I think it would be a nice way to share a different side of ourselves.

This is one I wrote about 7 years ago when I was going through my divorce. It’s a bit strange, and a bit dark.

The Calling

I’m dying inside…sinking deeper into the abyss.
      Drowning in despair…
      It consumes me piece by piece.
      Gnawing and clawing, eating me alive.
      Grief fills every crevice…
      My spirit melts as the inferno spreads.
      What remains will be an empty shell…
      Desolate, devastated,
      broken and betrayed…
      A mere shadow of my former self…
      Ego. . .Id.
      This death is slow and painful.
      The loss is immense. The casualty is inside of me.
      Darkness beckons with its arms opened wide.
      “Come to me”, it calls, sweet and serene…
      The siren of insanity….”step inside”.
      What is left? why not? It has all been taken away.
      My heart, my soul, my essence…
      I step to the edge and free fall.

And this is one I wrote later on…kinda silly, but current hubby and I don’t think celebrating our feelings on just Valentines day is enough.

My Every Day Valentine

My love for you can not be defined by
      hearts or flowers,
      cards or candy.
      And, it certainly can not be constrained to a single minute,
      a single hour,
      nor a single day.
      I love you so much in so many ways….
      and every moment of every day.

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2008 at 10:36 am

Wonderful…both of them. Just my kind of poetry and could easily have been something I would have written so not dark…therapeutic!

Here is one I wrote for my hubby on out 13th anniversary.

In the peace
      Of the early morning,
      As the sun
      Peeks it’s sleepy eyes
      Over the horizon
      In shades of azure blue
      I think of you.

And the
      Love
      In my heart
      Threatens to explode
      Into a myriad
      Of sunbeams
      That could light
      The world.

• August 17, 2008 at 12:09 pm

thanks Janet…and your work could easily be on high end cards!

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2008 at 5:45 pm

Lori and Canada Jan, those are Awesome poems!!!:cool: I like to read them but I can’t write them.:o

• Anonymous
      August 17, 2008 at 6:37 pm

They are beautiful reading but my writing them is not too good! I am terrible at writting poems or poetry! My worst subject. Hmm! Can’t take good pictures, can’t write poetry. But like being artistic. Very crafty person but just can’t write! Both were beautiful reading

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2008 at 1:12 pm

FOM-I remember those dark sides after my husband died-wrote a poem about our marriage and thanking everyone that helped me get through. I’ll hunt it up in my paperwork, that I have not gotten to since I moved. Loved your Valentine poem though better.

Canada Jan-your poem was beautiful. I bet your hubby was touched reading about the depth of your love for him.

Love to write poetry-it rhymes but always tell a family story. Words that come from the heart cleanse your soul, I think. Will pm my snail mail address to you FOM-can hardly wait to see you and Jan’s collaberation and have a special place to put it-talk about you guys to my friends and family all the time-now I can show and tell them the story.

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2008 at 1:14 pm

You just keep taking those gorgeous pictures and one of us will put words to them.

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2008 at 2:59 pm

You guys those poems are great! What a talent. I would like to think I could write such beautiful words BUT that wont happen, just never sounds right. But you guys are great. Keep up the good work!:)
      Cathy:)

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2008 at 3:49 pm

You got it Emma!!:) How about a rose for All of you love writers…[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3226/2772262126_c17a803cfc.jpg[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2008 at 4:41 pm

Wow, to be able to write like that. What talent! Please post more, I enjoy reading them. Oh, and the rose is beautiful. The petals look so velvety (is that a word? lol)

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2008 at 5:01 pm

there is something so beautiful in a single red rose Cheryl-great job. I’m a sucker for love songs-but when I saw your rose, I thought of Bette Midler. OK Jan and FOM got a rose poem handy-you could combine Jan’s poem for her hubby with the rose and come pretty close. Haven’t gotten to the ” share photo” thread yet, but you have to show the guys that one too Cheryl.

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2008 at 5:34 pm

Unforgettable, that’s what you are to me,

You encouraged me to be the best that I could be.

Your strength was like the beauty of a red rose,

God took you too soon from me, I suppose.

But if I knew back then what I know now,

I still can’t question the what, when, where, and how.

I love you as much now as I did back then,

And will always remember our special moments back when………

(To my late dad, son, and husband)
      August 18, 2008
      from your daughter, mom, and wife Emma

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2008 at 6:08 pm

Emma, thanks for making me cry…again.;) Love ya, my cyber friend.

• Anonymous
      August 18, 2008 at 10:07 pm

Emma, Thats Deep!!!:) Keep ‘Em coming!!:D

• August 18, 2008 at 11:18 pm

oh man Emma…made me tear up!

• Anonymous
      August 19, 2008 at 8:41 pm

ROSES ARE RED

VIOLETS ARE BLUE

I LOVE YOUR FRIENDSHIP

MORE THAN BEARS LOVE HONEY.

( I know it doesn’t rhyme, but just trying to get my point across of what you mean to me. )

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2008 at 2:26 am

Emma! What a beautiful poem! It made me think of my father when I lost him. Your words are what I felt! Thanks for sharing such beautiful thoughts.

• Anonymous
      August 24, 2008 at 3:36 pm

okay, one second im laughing and the next im crying!

i love this thread! i havent written a poem in sooo long! im going to have to try tonight! it is something that i have to really be in the mood for, like drawing. Once in while i can sit down and draw something, but that is a rare occassion. havent written a poem since i was in high school, when my brother died. got an A+ on it and the teacher read it to the entire class; they cried. i was just embarrassed!

i do the same with short stories. wrote one in college, got an A and teacher read that one to the class, too. The assignment was to write something funny or something sad. I decided to go for the most challenging one – the funny story, since everyone else would do the sad one. I called that teacher last year, and at first she said, “I’m so very sorry, but i dont have any idea who you are. I have had tens of thousands of students and taught at a number of schools. It is just impossible to remember all of those students. So, I said, “I understand why you dont remember me, but maybe you will remember a story i wrote”? She doubted that she would remember one story out of the thousands (she was an english composition professor). She let me tell her what my story was about though, and after just a couple words, she busted out laughing and holling, “Oh, Jamie! I know exactly who you are!!!” That made me feel soooooooooooo good!!! I cant find that darn thing, though! wish i could! id love to read it agian!

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2008 at 10:15 pm

Ok, I finally found a crocus pic…[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3177/2807642194_83466fc62d.jpg[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2008 at 11:32 pm

Ohh how beautiful Cheryl! Thanks for making this site even more special! That was a beautiful flower!

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2008 at 2:07 am

Thank You Linda. What are you doing up soooo late?!;)

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2008 at 10:56 am

Hi Cheryl, Well I promised you the crocus poem. A few years ago, I was going through a rough time and I wrote this poem as part of the healing process. I am the crocus, so this is about me.

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2008 at 11:02 am

In 1993, my sister gave birth to twin sons, Luke and Alex. They were premature and stillborn. I wrote her a poem that is now handed out in our health district to all the moms who lose a child during chilbdbirth or shortly after. It is an honour to have them use it. I was reading it this am, and it gave me also a sense of the despair a lot of us experience in ICU and the hospital so wanted to share it with my friends here. It is based on a personal experience I had in the ICU and I used that experience to try to offer solace and peace to my sister in her grief.

Tribute to Luke and Alex

The sun bursts upon the horizon
      Shattering the sky
      Into shards–
      Ribbons of red and gold.

I question the beauty
      Of this dawn
      As I face my own despair.
      Why would a caring God
      Give me this cross to bear?

Through my tears and
      Deep sorrow,
      A touch—
      So profoundly beautiful
      Caresses my soul.
      A calming peace
      Seeps through every pore.

In that instant
      I KNOW…
      The sun will rise again tomorrow.
      And with each new dawn
      Will come a gentle healing
      As He holds me in His hand.

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2008 at 11:06 am

Here’s another one that I wrote about being in ICU and my fears.

Intensive Care

Days drift–
      The night flows
      In and out
      Of being.
      In this discontent
      Existence
      Of pain
      And fear,
      Darkness,
      A world
      Of bright lights
      And whiteness.
      Who knows
      Where time will leave me?

Okay that’s enough for today!!!:D

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2008 at 6:37 pm

Jan! These are trulely beautiful! Made me happy with the one but felt the sadness in the other ones. But they all three are absolutely beautiful! Very talented writing! Thanks for sharing these beautiful peoms! 😉

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2008 at 6:41 pm

Now that I have stopped crying, I feel ready to write.

Jan, your poetry is stunning, heart wrenching, inspiring to truly know He never left you, and if you don’t mind, I’ve copied and would like to submit the Tribute to Luke and Alex to my friend who is head nurse of a wonderful OB unit and she helped deliver my younger son. I related too personally with all 3 poems, thus the cleansing tears. You truly are a master with words Jan.

Please keep writing for us.

• Anonymous
      September 3, 2008 at 6:45 pm

A very simple poem:

Oh the beauty of a flower,
      To see its strength and feel its power.

After a long winter, a crocus is here,
      To tell us hi and that spring is near.

• Anonymous
      September 4, 2008 at 3:41 am

Wonderful Poems Canada Jan and Emma!!:) Missed ya Emma, glad you’re back!!:D

• Anonymous
      September 5, 2008 at 10:43 am

Thanks guys! I love writing but have never really shared any of it before. Guess I shouldn’t be so afraid to.

• Anonymous
      September 8, 2008 at 4:01 pm

keep sharin Canada. Never be afriad-you’re with family.

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2008 at 3:04 pm

Wrote a poem yesterday while cutting hay. I think it was better yesterday, but no paper or pen with me. Today, I’m trying to remember it all. Let’s see……

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2008 at 3:16 pm

Wonderful as always Jan. A good visual poem. Was trying to put a title to it. I just love your poems……………Emma

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2008 at 6:49 pm

Most of my working life has been supporting individuals who are affected by a disability. A few years ago, I had the privilege to taking some of the folks I supported to meet some of our Veterans at coffee in the local Legion Hall. It was just before Remebrance Day here in Canada. I had talked to the guys about what would be appropriate questions to ask. But when we got there, the Vets, who were very gracious, told them to ask any questions they wanted to. Of course, someone asked the question did you see anyone die or did you have to kill someone. My heart sank, but one Vet said it was a good question, and then he started to quietly cry. And he answered the question, telling the young man that peace can only come when we fully understand the horrors of war.

I went home and wrote a poem dedicated to him. I was going to share it with you in November, but considering that tomorrow is 9-11, I thought it might be appropriate here. I hope it does not cause any of you undue pain.

THE VETERAN

A camera
      Rolls across the mind.
      Images dance
      Like demons of the night.

Pain
      Contorts the fragile shield
      Held in place
      By years of practise.

Sorrow
      Wraps wispy arms
      Around a soul
      Grown weary
      From years of carrying
      A burden
      No words can describe.

A misty veil drops
      Over eyes
      Etched
      With memories…
      A single tear
      Traces it’s way
      Over leathery skin.

Solace comes
      From knowing,
      Through our demons,
      Peace
      And freddom
      Shall endure.

-Janet Gulash
      November 8, 1994

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2008 at 8:15 pm

Canada Jan, That is just AWESOME!!!:)

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2008 at 8:33 pm

Thank you Emma and Cheryl. Thank you for the praise but also the encouragement to keep posting my writing.

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2008 at 9:40 pm

Bless you Jan for your insight and the talent to put words to pape

A Mother’s Pride—-

My son called me one night,
      Told me of a soldier’s plight.
      Through tears a story he told me,
      About a Marine just back from war, you see.

Not yet twenty, all broken up tonight,
      Enlisted to keep us free and joined the fight.
      He had done his job for you and me,
      Jaw wired shut, he could barely see.

One leg, one arm, but his pride was great,
      “How do I help him deal with his fate?”
      I prayed for an answer to give to my son,
      “Salute him and thank him for what he’s done.”

I told him to give him anything he wanted to eat,
      Grind it, puree it, whatever, and a special treat.
      The boy, now a man, said “Sir, thank you.”
      With tears, I said,”I’m proud of you son and that boy,too.”

A true story I put to rhyme about just one of the Marines, that my son met with to determine his meals and good nutrition. Part of his job was to meet with each Marine that came back from Afghanistan and Iraq to discuss their meals. This took place at the Naval Medical Center in SanDiego,CA. The job tore my son up and he would call me frequently for advice. I had the pleasure of touring the hospital with him, meeting his staff and his commanding officer. I wanted to grab a pair of scrubs and go to work that day. Wasn’t allowed to tour the wards and maybe it was just as well, as my heart is just like my son’s.

GOD BLESS OUR VETERANS
      GOD BLESS OUR MILITARY

• Anonymous
      September 10, 2008 at 10:04 pm

Wonderful Emma! Both the poem and your son! God bless.