pls…answer me …. pls….

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2006 at 9:38 am

i am new to the site i post my question to the general question area, and thank god jfitzen anwer me… thank you once again jfitzen…. he advice me to post my question here, so many can read my message…

i am a gbs patient for 2 yrs and 6 months, my upper x is strong now but my lower x is still weak.. i can hardly walk with my walker and easily get tired, my face and eyes is also affected… my eyes got crossed, as in i can see two images… my left face got sag… as if i turn into a horrible creature…

i have a daughter, she was 8 month when i acquire gbs… she is 3 years old now…

i just wonder if i can still have a child?

what should i do to improve my condition?

do i have to take any medicine? for i dont take any medicine now, even vitamins, bec my doctor tells me that it might give me appetite to eat, and turn me fatter… he told me to diet so that i can carry my self easily…

it is hard for me to loose weight, for i do not have any activity…

hope to hear from you thanks…

pls…answer me …. pls….

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2006 at 8:11 am

i am new to the site i post my question to the general question area, and thank god jfitzen anwer me… thank you once again jfitzen…. he advice me to post my question here, so many can read my message…

i am a gbs patient for 2 yrs and 6 months, my upper x is strong now but my lower x is still weak.. i can hardly walk with my walker and easily get tired, my face and eyes is also affected… my eyes got crossed, as in i can see two images… my left face got sag… as if i turn into a horrible creature…

i have a daughter, she was 8 month when i acquire gbs… she is 3 years old now…

i just wonder if i can still have a child?

what should i do to improve my condition?

do i have to take any medicine? for i dont take any medicine now, even vitamins, bec my doctor tells me that it might give me appetite to eat, and turn me fatter… he told me to diet so that i can carry my self easily…

it is hard for me to loose weight, for i do not have any activity…

hope to hear from you thanks…

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2006 at 8:14 am

Hello..and welcome to our family. I take vitamins as well as neurontin for pain. What kind of treatment did you have when you were diagnosed? IVIG or plasmapheresis? These are both well know treatments that have shown great results for some of us who have gbs. keep in touch and we will all be here for you.

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2006 at 9:47 am

IVIG is the treatment i have… i also take neurontin before, but my neurologist tells me i dont need it anymore for i dont feel major pains anymore…

my problem now is my lower x, it is weak and i alway experienced morning muscle cramps.. but the pain easily subside when my husband stretched my legs…

stormy… thanks for the reply… it gives me comfort to hear advices…

i hope i can have more friends here…

cause, it is easy to ask comfort from all of you for we have the same experiences….

i am so happy i found this website…
      🙂

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2006 at 10:33 am

Hi Rhosim,

Welcome to the GBS community. You’ll find you have many friends here. It sounds like you need a new neurologist. Were you ever in rehabilitation for your illness? When my fiance, Ben, had GBS last year, he went to rehab and had something called e-stim (electrical stimulation) treatment on his face for the paralysis. It helped him a lot. As for the fatigue, have you been trying to do too much lately? You might want to lie down and rest until you feel better. It’s hard to control your weight when you’re hurting and not working. Maybe you could see a nutritionist if you feel like your weight is becoming a problem. There are lots of women who have had babies before, during or after GBS. You should visit the thread for expectant mothers on this forum.

Take care!

Shannon

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2006 at 11:26 am

thank you shannon for the warm welcome…

Yes… I have been rehabilitate for 2 years… i undergo theraphy and electrical stimulation on my face… my face improve a little but it is still sag…

my rehab doctor also told me that my golden period had lapsed already… so it might be my full strength now…so he advice me to have my own exercise at home…

i dont see my neurologist now… because he told me before, that he have nothing to do with me now, what i have to do is to exercise a lot… but the problem is i get easily tired.

i hope to hear a lot from this community… so that i can know more about what my illness is…

GBS is not so popular in our country (Philippines), my neurologist also told us that i might get well if im in other countries who are experienced in treating gbs.

so i am so happy to find this website, for it might help me to know more what to do so that i can be better… and be back near normal….

again thank you… and hope to hear a lot lot more from you…

just want to ask, can my kids inherit my gbs? is it heriditary… for i am only one in my clan who have this illness.

thank you again and god bless….:)

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2006 at 1:04 pm

helloooo…..

as i have observe on my reading, all of you, until now is getting ivig theraphy???

while me i just take the ivig during the days i am on the icu, for 5 times a day and that is so costly for 5 days also, after that i dont take it anymore….

what do you think? do i still need it?

help me pls…. its hard to have this illness, on the country who is not expert on this illness….

pls…. help me what to do….:confused:

i want to walk again….or even just improved my balance….:(

pls…help me….advice me what to do…..:confused:

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2006 at 2:54 pm

Hi there, I answered you on the other thread. If you have GBS typically they don’t continue the IVIG treatment because the GBS attack has been stopped and you are healing.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2006 at 6:35 pm

Ditto what Jerimy said. My fiance had plasmapheresis for five days and was too sick for IVIG. The doctor said it would have made his condition worse. I’m glad to hear you were getting e-stim, but I’m sorry you’re still having problems with your face. Do you know what level they were doing it at? Ben was all the way up to 8, and I think 10 is the highest you can go.

There’s nothing you can really do to make the nerves grow back any faster, but there have been plenty of people on this forum who have said they noticed small improvements after three to six years. It’s hard to tell because it’s different for everybody. The main thing you can do for yourself is to exercise when you can to build your muscles and rest when you need it. Don’t overdo it, or you’ll slow the process.

Are you on AFOs at all? Since Ben still has paralysis in his left foot, he recently got an AFO (ankle foot brace) and is in rehab working on his balance.

Since Ben and I are getting married in a few months and hoping to have children, I asked his neurologist what the chance would be of our future kids getting GBS. The neurologist said not to even worry about it because it’s very rare for that to happen. I then asked my own doctor, and she said the exact same thing.

Hugs,

Shannon

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2006 at 10:08 pm

please hang in there. I am 2 1/2 years post gbs and i still have improvements all the time. the doctors don’t know enough about the illness so please don’t give up. exercise in moderation and rest when you need too. rest means laying down flat on your back somewhere that is comfortable. sitting down does not rest your entire body. you are welcome to e-mail or private message me anytime and i am sure there are others willing to help also. we are a family here.

take care

sherry

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2006 at 11:27 pm

thank you everybody for the replies… you just don’t know how happy i am now… because i have someone to ask now unlike before… i am always afraid… because this illness was new to us… actually i never heard this before until i aquire it, they just said it is a viral infection…that make ascending paralysis…

thats nice to hear that i am healing….

what do you think friends… what is the chances that i can walk again???

im wishing to accompany my daughter on her school…

again thank you…. hoping to hear more from you again…

i love you all…..

• Anonymous
      June 16, 2006 at 8:35 am

Hi

[QUOTE=rhosim05]thank you shannon for the warm welcome…

Yes… I have been rehabilitate for 2 years… i undergo theraphy and electrical stimulation on my face… my face improve a little but it is still sag…

)[/QUOTE]

But you did not say how many days or how much times a day you were given elelcteic stimulation. My case is also somewhat similar to yours. I also got electric stimulation for about a month, daily (except sunday) 20/25 minutes at different nerves/places of the face. I was also given course of prednisone for a few days on reducing quantity when I was undergoing elec.stimulation. By the grace of god, my face became as it was before. Please be sure you will improve slowly.

The rehab Doc had also caustioned me in the past to do the exercises/yoga at least 20 to 30 minutes in the morning and evening daily and not to stop it as being a patient of GBS, the exercises are part and parcel of the life.

pls… answer me… pls….

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2006 at 7:08 am

i am a gbs patient since december of 2003, i can walk with a walker but easily get tired. my upper x is strong now, but my lower x still weak.
      it is 2 years and six month now… can i still walk like the old days? can i still walk without a walking device?

I experienced muscle cramps on my legs evry morning, what does it mean?

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2006 at 7:35 am

Welcome to the site. It has been very helpful to me. Over 5 years ago my bout with GBS started. Still making progress and getting better. There are also others on this site that have made progress after several years.

More would see your question if you post to the GBS adult area.

• Anonymous
      June 15, 2006 at 7:49 am

thank you jfitzen…

you gave me hope…

my eyes is also affected, my eyes is now cross eye… will it be possible to get back???

you know what, when i first saw my face on the mirror, i got shocked, my left face is sag and my eyes get cross…

i am so afraid…. i want to walk again….

it is good to hear from you….

what do you do to improved your condition? do you take medicines?
      for i do not take any medicine… even vitamins… my rehab doctor told me that vitamins may give me appetite to eat, that might turn me fatter… he told me to diet so that i can carry my self easily…

can you give me some advice, to be more stronger?

• Anonymous
      July 31, 2006 at 5:13 pm

You are clearly at a difficult place in the journey where you are wondering what the future holds for your ability to walk. Do you have a counselor, advocate, social worker to talk about your concerns with and to come up with a plan to help you adjust, since the outcome is uncertain to you? There are many ways of improving the quality of life without maximum ambulation, but you will need tools to do this. Occupational therapists are a great resource in this area of adaptation.

Use this board to pose questions, like: “I’m trying to get my marketing done, what do you do?” or, “How do you keep the door open while propelling yourself through a door with a mobility aid?” or other daily issues that you may be struggling with. We can learn so much from eachother to ease the stress of getting through a day while our bodies stabilize and heal. You can try my yahoo chat address evenings if you like, and I’ll be happy to share my adaptations with you if you think it will help! Best of luck to you!

• Anonymous
      March 3, 2008 at 9:48 pm

welcome to the site. you will find a lot answers and recommendations here like
      I have. be patience and don’t overwhelm your self recovery comes along with
      time and care and you’re doing the right thing.

sonny, w/gbs 2004

• Anonymous
      March 4, 2008 at 11:15 pm

Hi [U][URL=”http://www.gbs-cidp.org/forums/member.php?u=436″%5Drhosim05%5B/URL%5D%5B/U%5D and welcome. While vitamins might be good for you, they will not help the underlying issues. Have your Doctors spoke to you about Steroids, IVIG or another treatment? I am concerned for you because the attack on your nerves/myelin may still be going on. It is good your seeking information, speak with your Neurologist about a treatment plan (meds,rehab, etc)

Take care, we are here to help.

Jerimy