parietal lobe atrophy

• Anonymous
      April 11, 2007 at 1:23 pm

I had GBS in 1989 and about four years ago was found to have parietal lobe atrophy, which my MD feels is somehow secondary to the GBS. Has anyone ever heard fo this? I have not been able to locate info on any such connection via online searches. Thanks all.

• Anonymous
      April 11, 2007 at 1:52 pm

Ed have you tried google or yahoo search? I just looked and there are a few sites. But not sure what it is your looking for.? Are you having problems seeing? Or having a blind spot when your looking at something? Try typing in parietal lobe atrophy and see what you can find I’ll keep looking too. Good Luck Dawn C.

• Anonymous
      April 11, 2007 at 1:53 pm

I don’t think you will find alot in print on the subject, but since atrophy of the muscles is common, i don’t see why that would be any different. if the nerves are damaged enough and not caught in time or rehabed correctly, or exercised enough i suppose it could occur. there are all sorts of residuals and very few are put in print, except what we write about.

• Anonymous
      April 12, 2007 at 4:57 am

Ed, the parietal lobe is part of the cerebral cortex (brain) and is definitely not affected by GBS. GBS is is a disorder of periferal nerves not of the brain. Parietal lobe atrophy may follow trauma but is usually due to arteriosclerosis. I suspect your MD like may of us has gone for an option that required no further explanation but is not strictly true. DocDavid

• Anonymous
      April 16, 2007 at 9:22 am

thanks to all. It seemed an odd explanation to me also. will see a neurologist for a better explanation. the alleged link was that diminished neural stimulation during the GBS led to the atrophy. if that were somehow to occur, it doesn’t make sense that a specific lobe would be targeted, and esp that it would be the parietal lobe. I have googled it, checked medline and a half dozen other medically-oriented websites, and could not ID a connection. Again, thanks to all for your responses.