pain meds w/a clear head?

• Anonymous
      November 27, 2009 at 12:45 pm

Thanks to everyone that wrote back to Southwest Florida! Great info….I’m checking in to all of it!

Here’s my question….Is anyone taking a pain medication that DOESN’T mess up your head? The neuro gave me Lyrica to try and it was only 50mg but just one of them makes me non-functional for hours. This is the first pain med I’ve tried so I’m hoping there’s something better. I’m petite size….could that have something to do with it? I would appreciate any info, thanks!

Lori

• Anonymous
      November 27, 2009 at 7:24 pm

Hi Lori,
      You might try just taking the Lyrica at bedtime until your body gets use to it.
      50 mg. is not a large dose but if you are petite it can pack a whollop!
      Sue

• Anonymous
      November 27, 2009 at 7:24 pm

You will “get used” to the disorientation of lyrica after a period of time. A week or so I would think.

Good luck

• Anonymous
      November 27, 2009 at 10:10 pm

I’m also petite and was on 100mg 3 x daily. I cut back to 2 x daily and it helped.
      Your body does have to get used to it.

Good luck

Shirley

• Anonymous
      November 28, 2009 at 4:39 am

Lyrica works for some but definitely not for me.
      Finding the right pain med may take some time. I felt fuzzy or nauseous when starting some. Am on Fentanyl patch and thank goodness it helps me have good days.
      Having an understanding informed physician and voicing your concerns is the key.

• Anonymous
      November 29, 2009 at 3:43 am

Hi Lori, my doc prescribed Tegretol 100mg for me. I take between 1-3 each day without any side effects at all. It seems to relieve alot of my nerve pain. I have been on it for a couple of months now. Ive never tried anything else. Good luck
      Cheers Jet

• Anonymous
      November 29, 2009 at 12:45 pm

Thanks everyone!

I’ve been told that your body has to get used to the meds and I’m sure that’s true but I think maybe Lyrica isn’t for me. I tried the bedtime method and even took it at 8:30 and I didn’t straighten up until 2:00 pm the next day and it didn’t do much for the pain. That was one 50mg pill….I can’t imagine taking 3 in one day:eek:

Jet: The Tegretol sounds good….when I see my new doctor I’ll ask about it….thanks!

Lori

• Anonymous
      November 29, 2009 at 1:48 pm

Lori,

You can look up some of my earlier posts, but I work full-time and everything I tried for pain left me too fuzzy to be effective. My doctor eventually placed me on Namenda. It was developed in Europe for neuropathy pain and found it works great on Alzheimer …

So now my pain is totally under control and I have a very clear head again! I know everyone is different and what works for one does not work for another – but it might be worth a try.

Good luck!

• November 30, 2009 at 9:16 am

Some people take cymbalta, for pain and an added bonus anti depressant

• Anonymous
      December 1, 2009 at 9:30 am

Cymbalta as others have mentioned. Also Neurontin. I was told that Neurontin and Lyrica are similar, but the primary advantage to Neurontin for some is that it’s a lower dose and has a shorter half-life, so it generally doesn’t make you so drowsy and is easier to control the dosing.
      Have you tried Ultram? It’s non-narcotic, but effects the opiod recepters and provides relief for some.

Elmo

• Anonymous
      December 1, 2009 at 4:05 pm

Thanks again everyone….now I have 4 new meds to ask about!:)

I always find the best info on this forum!!

Lori

• Anonymous
      December 1, 2009 at 5:43 pm

Best thing that won’t mess up your head is either cymbalta or pristique.
      I tried both, they worked well with pain but i had GI issues with cymbalta
      and bailed on pristique for oxycontin.

Neurontin works well for alot of people. I really depends on the exact pain your having. I need quite a bit of neurontin to feel it work.

My work won’t let me take the oxycontin, so now I am back to Ultram.
      Clear head but minimal pain control for me.

I might retry the Pristique again, not sure.

Fentanyl is wicked strong. I tried one patch it kinda scaired me how strong it was. LA LA Land is where I was. If the pain is that bad, It is a wonderful tool, just that I didn’t need something that strong.–tim–

• Anonymous
      December 3, 2009 at 5:28 pm

I take Ultracet and it works really well for me. I don’t get that “foggy” feeling and I can fuction normally. It’s stronger than just Ultram and haven’t had any stomach issues with it . I hope you find something that works for you …. sometimes its trial and error !:)