Our "Olympics": Post your Progress

• Anonymous
      January 24, 2011 at 2:30 pm

This thread is for those who want to record their physical and/or mental improvements from time to time to check on their progress.

For Example:

Standing Long Jump: January 24, 2011
      1st try: 6 inches
      2nd try: 1 foot, 2 inches
      3rd try: 1 foot

• Anonymous
      January 25, 2011 at 6:43 am

I started walking on a treadmill back in December. Started at 5 min at 2 mph I am now up to 25 minutes at 2.6 mph. Not as impressive as your standing jump but I’m happy with it.
      [B][U]An addition to my post[/U][/B]. I just tried your standing jump after the first jump I started laughing. I thought that your 1 foot would be easy to beat but I think you still hold the record. I maybe got 9 inches.

• Anonymous
      January 29, 2011 at 7:34 pm

Things I couldn’t do a year ago:

1. Walk from the far end of the bedroom to the bathroom without support
      2. Turn on one spot
      3. Walk up and down steps holding on to railing one step at a time instead of on my bottom (down)
      4. Pick up 8 pills off the bathroom counter and drop them into the palm of the same hand
      5. Hold a large glass
      6. Cut my finger nails
      7. Do water aerobics without holding on to a noodle

Goals:

1. Expand my walking range
      2. Pull off sweater or t-shirt without holding on
      3. Walk down steps normally with alternating feet holding on
      4. Swim a short distance

• February 1, 2011 at 4:56 pm

😀 Thanks for creating this thread!!! I write this down but keep losing it.

Weights:

As of Feb 1, 2010

Bench Press: 35lbs x 10 reps (Goal 150lbs)
      Military Press: 25lbs x 10 Reps (Goal 75 lbs)
      Seated Leg Press: 120lbs x 15 reps (Goal 250lbs)
      Reverse Leg Curls: 30lbs X 15 reps (Goal)

Walking:

2200ft without rest (Short term goal 2 miles)

Long Jump:

Need to wait till my spotter gets home, but it’s not gonna be pretty. 😀

• Anonymous
      February 11, 2011 at 11:47 am

the new bar. Walked 1.2 miles in 26 minutes at a 2% grade with no rest. Time for a nap.

Standing broad jump 18 inch and almost stuck the landing. I’ve been practicing.

• Anonymous
      March 11, 2011 at 2:57 pm

This coming July it will be ten years since I was completely helpless, I could not eat myself, or wipe off at the other end (lol), I could not dress myself and I could not walk etc. etc. All this because the signals my brain sent out didn’t reach my pheripheral muscles. The signals that did reach them were signals of being in various kinds of pain.

I was like that – more or less – for about 5 years, when I got my Rituxan treatment. After that I slowly but surely got almost all my faculties back. This is what I still can not do:
      Peel shrimps
      Write touch on my keyboard
      Decorating a cake

WAT’S THAT FOR PROGRESS?:D

• March 27, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Weights:

As of Feb 1, 2010

Bench Press: 35lbs x 10 reps (Goal 150lbs)
      Military Press: 25lbs x 10 Reps (Goal 75 lbs)
      Seated Leg Press: 120lbs x 15 reps (Goal 250lbs)
      Reverse Leg Curls: 30lbs X 15 reps (Goal)

Walking:

2200ft without rest (Short term goal 2 miles)

Long Jump:

[B]UPDATE:[/B]As of March 27, 2010

Bench Press: 65lbs x 10 reps (Goal 150lbs)
      Military Press: 40lbs x 10 Reps (Goal 75 lbs)
      Seated Leg Press: 190lbs x 15 reps (Goal 250lbs)
      Reverse Leg Curls: 50lbs X 15 reps (Goal)-Accomplished Goal

Walking:

1.5 miles on indoor track (3/27) (50 minutes) (Short term goal 2 miles).

In a funk this week, weather has been gloomy and the snails pace of this recovery was wearing me out. This really helps to go back and see where I was just 8 weeks ago. Going to the gym 3-4 days per week since Feb 1 and walking >.75 miles 3-4 days per week. Making progress…

• Anonymous
      March 30, 2011 at 9:22 am

Way to go, sounds like you are doing well and hope the week of funk has left. Keep working and resting when you can. It is looking like I will not be returning to work in June when STD runs out and will transfer to LTD through work. I still need two or three good rest during the day. I am up to 30 minutes of walking, and about an hour and half of general chores. Not planning on getting up on the roof or running a marathon. I did try to run the other day, got about 50 feet and I am sure it was quite funny to watch. Spring is just beginning here in wisconsin and Yard work is calling my name.

• Anonymous
      May 1, 2011 at 10:58 am

On Easter Day 2011, I ran barefoot for a few minutes within my home.
      That was a wonderful experience I’ve been dreaming of doing again for 3 1/2 years.
      But now I’m having another relapse, and am worse off than before, so maybe I overdid it. Hoping my swelling and pain will go down enough so I can walk with my cane again.
      Still, I treasure that experience, even though it cost me a relapse. But next time I won’t throw caution to the winds, or feel pressured to overdo in order to meet anyone else’s expectations. I’ll just use common sense.
      Actually, I wasn’t doing all that much running anyway before GBS; and after all, I’m 57 years old. (hah!)

(Oh discretion, thou art the better part of valour…)

• Anonymous
      May 19, 2011 at 12:00 pm

This relapse is taking its toll, but it’s gardening time again, so I am trying to come up with a working plan.

Progress during Relapse:

The One-Minute Gardener: (Time = 1 minute)
      1. Lift and throw broken garden ornaments in the trash can.
      2. Dump soil from 2 broken containers; throw containers in trash can.

The One-Minute Exercise: (Time = 1 minute)
      1. Lying flat, rotate ankles 10 times in each direction.
      2. Rotate wrists 10 times in each direction.
      3. Knee flexes (as time permits)

Now, to get these activities done…

““““`
      UPDATE:
      During my 1-minute gardening activity, I completed my goal within the time-limit (counting ‘one-thousand-and-one, etc.’)
      Dumping the soil from the 2nd broken container was strenuous, and I almost went down with it, but recovered my balance. I had 2 seconds left at the end, and I spied a piece of paper in a bank of leaves that the wind had blown between my flower containers. When I picked it up to thrown it in the trash can, IT WAS A $5.00 BILL! Cleaned it up, and it will pay for milk for a week ($4.99).

Next 1 minute Gardener activity plan:
      Plant lettuce in 1 large container.