OT but I need advice

• Anonymous
      May 6, 2009 at 8:27 pm

Emily vomited in her friend’s mom’s new car (less than a month old) on Sunday. I offered to pay to have her car cleaned or to clean it myself, the mom was really understanding & told me not to worry about it.

I’ve spoken with the mom a few times since Sunday & whenever I bring up the barf she tells me not to worry….but of course I am.

I’ve been struggling to figure out how to make it up to this mom. I’m going to buy her daughter a book to replace the one that Emily barfed on. But tonight the girl told Emily that their car still smells like barf but it’s ok because they roll the windows down.

Do you think I should get a gift card for a car cleaning place? Or should I just give her the cash to get the car cleaned at her place of choice? Should I buy her a boatload of air freshener? Or should I do nothing like she said?

BTW, Emily is still sick. She was home from school on Monday & Tuesday & went back today. She called home sick around 1:30pm. She hasn’t thrown up since Sunday but her stomach hurts and of course, her arms & legs hurt too.

Thanks,
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      May 6, 2009 at 9:00 pm

Hi! You do have a dilemma. But we all know kids throw up and we can’t help that. It’s great that the mom is being so understanding. I would do the gift card. Then she can get her car cleaned now or at a later date. It shows her you care about her.

Good luck.

• Anonymous
      May 6, 2009 at 9:22 pm

Hi Kelly: Just a thought-I would buy a gift card for something nice that both mom and daughter could use rather than something to clean the car. She already said it was ok and I would take her at her word, but since she is being so nice you might want to do something nice in return. The smell will go away eventually but a nice gesture remains. Jeff

• Anonymous
      May 6, 2009 at 9:29 pm

Jan – Yeah I do have a dilemma. I’ve been so torn about what to do for this woman.

Jeff – I originally thought I’d buy them a gift card for their local favorite breakfast place – they go out for breakfast every Sunday morning.

Thanks to you both for your thoughts on this.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2009 at 1:43 am

Hi Kelly,
      I would be inclined to insist on having the car professionally shampooed. Vomit does linger forever if not cleaned professionally. You could phone up a car detailer and ask how much and then if it is affordable for you, give a certificate from the car detailer.
      Laurel

• Anonymous
      May 7, 2009 at 5:46 pm

I think a gift card for a carpet shampooing and a new book would be okay!
      I had this happen to me years ago and I felt so bad about getting sick in that person’s car!
      I truely know how you feel! We know she couldn’t help it though but you still feel bad! Good luck!
      Linda H