On TV Commercial today!

• Anonymous
      July 25, 2008 at 2:25 pm

I had the tv on behind me today and I was sorta listening to a commercial and posting to a online site. I hear “There is a potential for an increased chance of getting Guillain-Barré syndrome following vaccination.” The hair on the back of my neck just stood straight up. I wanted to yell….don’t even take a chance…..I don’t want anyone to go thru what I did! I hurried up and looked at the tv screen and got their website. You might want to take a look. http://www.menactra.com 😡 I am glad they have this warning but I am also sad how nonchalant they say it can increased chance of getting GBS. Like it would be a inconvenience. Like it lasts only as long as the common cold! I am glad that Guillain-Barré Syndrome was mentioned on tv and people might begin to read about it and question what it really is and how serious it can be. [B]Was I the only one to see this commercial?[/B]

[I]From their website:[/I]

[B]Indication[/B]
      Menactra vaccine is given to persons 2 through 55 years of age for active immunization against invasive meningococcal disease caused by N meningitidis serogroups A, C, Y, and W-135. Menactra vaccine will not stimulate protection against infection caused by N meningitidis other than serogroups A, C, Y, and W-135.

[B]Safety Information[/B]
      Side effects to Menactra vaccine include injection site pain, redness, and swelling; headache or fatigue. Other side effects may occur. Vaccination should be avoided by persons with known hypersensitivity (severe allergic reaction) to any ingredient of the vaccine, including latex (which is used in the vial stopper), or by any persons previously diagnosed with Guillain-Barré syndrome. There is a potential for an increased chance of getting Guillain-Barré syndrome following vaccination. Vaccination with Menactra vaccine may not protect all individuals.

• Anonymous
      July 25, 2008 at 2:33 pm

I saw it too & wanted to yell the same thing at the TV. I just hope that people hear that commercial & wonder was GBS is & research it. Then after researching it they run away as fast as they can from that vaccine.

At least it’s being acknowledged now that vaccines can cause it. For awhile the FDA wasn’t even admitting that.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      July 25, 2008 at 9:13 pm

I’ve seen the commercial several times. They kinda of act like it is not a big deal, just a little incidential thing that may happen……guillain-barre syndrome…..they want you to think it’s just like when they say may experience nauseau, high blood pressure, erection lasting 4 hours, etc.

You would certainly not think GBS was a HUGE deal the way they nonchalantly say it.

• Anonymous
      July 25, 2008 at 10:11 pm

My 16 y/o daughter saw the ad and told my husband, who in return came to tell me. And I didnt even think she had been listening all these years 😮 .

• Anonymous
      July 25, 2008 at 10:12 pm

I saw it too.. I wonder how many people have gotten gbs from it, for them to make that disclaimer…..on t.v. I wish I’d of thought twice about the flu shot! My question is what are the risks for these kids, and why take the chance?

• July 25, 2008 at 10:57 pm

I saw it the other day and called Kelly in disbelief. You have to admit, that was very responsible of them. They said it twice. I was impressed!
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      July 26, 2008 at 1:08 am

Thanks for bringing this to my attention Kit. Now I’m going to check with my daughters dr to see what the name of the vacc she was given a few months back.

• Anonymous
      July 26, 2008 at 9:47 am

Dawn I agree it was responsible of them to mention it but also a big obligation. I am not sure if many pay attention to the side effects of drugs. I hope in this case they start. I also wonder how many kids that were entering college that had to have them and put their hopes and dreams on hold. I do remember many here that were trying to struggle thru their college classes. Wonder if…………? 😮

Cheryl Thanks I thought it was worth posting here…..many might be in a position to receive their shots right now before entering college and should have the facts. Maybe this publicity will keep one child from not getting GBS! But if it is required and the changes are increased since it is a side effect, not sure you have an option if you want to enter college! Kinda a Catch 22 situation. Sad……Worries me on how many will enter this forum with their story of having to postpone college due to getting GBS. 😮

• July 26, 2008 at 11:32 pm

Yep saw it several days ago and actually did yell at the tv LOL! I got so upset that they are pushing this stuff on us…on parents…and it is so dangerous! I wont even fall for that shot for HPV for my daughter.

• Anonymous
      July 27, 2008 at 7:56 am

I saw it yestrday in the early evening. The add is for the meningitis vaccine.

• Anonymous
      July 27, 2008 at 9:51 am

Hmm! Now that you mention this, I wonder if certain medications can cause Gillian Bare effects. Reason asking, is that I am very hypersenstive to certain meds and sometimes by taking them, I land an attack on the nervous system. But any vaccine that can cause harm like that needs to be banned from the FDA. Even though it helps some, look how many it may have harmed and I value my life as many in here do.

• Anonymous
      July 28, 2008 at 5:21 pm

Kit is right about the immunizations being a catch 22 for college entrance. Also to go overseas and every time my son in the Navy goes anywhere foreign to the US, he is always telling me about having to be immunized. I worry so about him, because, if I have CIDP, couldn’t he potentially get GBS/CIDP as a result of the immunization? I know Norb and I have talk about the heritary issues, but I also wonder about the tendacy of his odds being increased because of me. I also saw the ads and was so furious, because, in one of the ads GBS was said last, like it was in the same category as a headache.
      Linda, if you google your meds, you may shudder at some of the side effects-are the drugs we take now likely to complicate issues long term? Some drugs have been pulled off the market, because of the side effects…wonder also if the federal government reimbursements with immunizations isn’t prompting the ads to have a more thorough disclaimer? That’s a start, but more attention has to be made to the side effects-if they spent more of their money(which they won’t) carefully detailing the side effects rather than marketing ploys to tell you why this new drug is so good for you, maybe more people would hesitate and ask questions first.
      Emma

• Anonymous
      July 28, 2008 at 6:07 pm

Well said, ladies. It makes you wonder doesn’t it when the side effects of so many drugs are worse than what we take the drug for in the first place. Why drugs get approved when they are unsafe (Vioxx, as an example) is way beyond me. It sometimes seems as though it is a money grab. Get in there with a “miracle drug” and then test it later. Often we aren’t even told the side effects so if you don’t ask, you will never know.

• Anonymous
      July 28, 2008 at 9:12 pm

Another drug to questions is Ciprofloxacin hydrochloride. That is what was thought to cause GBS in my friends father. Below is a part of what I found on a page about the drug and the side effects….some of these things could be GBS or mistaken for GBS like symtoms. Scarey! Even the brought on case of diarrhea could be something that GBS could slip in behind.

Remember to stop taking Cipro and see your doctor at the first hint of an allergic reaction (see “Most important fact about Cipro and Cipro HC”). Also call your doctor if you develop diarrhea. Antibiotics such as Cipro occasionally trigger a form of diarrhea that needs a doctor’s attention.

[B]Rare cases of peripheral neuropathy (changes or disturbances of the nervous system)[/B] have been reported with this type of antibiotic. [B]Contact your doctor if you experience muscle weakness, paralysis, pain or numbness, a burning sensation, or a “pins and needles” sensation.[/B]

You may become more sensitive to light while taking ciprofloxacin. Try to stay out of the sun as much as possible.

People taking Cipro have been known to suffer torn tendons. If you feel any pain or inflammation in a tendon area, stop taking the drug and call your doctor; you should rest and avoid exercise. You may need surgery to repair the tendon.

• Anonymous
      July 28, 2008 at 11:00 pm

Kit, its kinda scarey knowing I was on Levoquin when I woke up paralyzed the 1st time.:eek: and now to learn of the potential dangers to taking these antibiotics is just mind blowing. and after my 1st knee surgery I was given cipro—thank goodness I had an immediate allergic reaction to it while coming out of the anesthetic and it was stopped before I left the hospital. There was an interview on tv the other day about all those antibiotics and it really gets ya wondering.

and just last night my sil brought up the commercial also.