on the positive side for insurance:)

• September 19, 2011 at 7:27 am

there is a lot of threads on here regarding insurance difficulties—so just thought i would add a positive note on the topic. I have anthem blue cross for insurance—-here in maine we have very limited choices as a small business owner.
      I was really worried when i got this disease about the medical costs, prior to this the only thing i ever used my insurance for was physical exams, routine stuff.
      They have been excellent, i have had no problems getting my ivig.
      When i went out to Mayo for a second opinion all of the tests I had were covered 100%—-and mayo ran every test possible.
      It saddens me when i read all of these posts regarding medical neccesitiies not being covered—afterall that is why we purchase insurance-for the peace of mind knowing if something happens, we are covered.

• Anonymous
      September 19, 2011 at 2:37 pm

Lori,

I second this about Anthem BCBS. They have been wonderful. I had a medical bill dispute for over a year and they helped me resolve it. I went to Miami for a second opinion (I am in Chicago) and my son went to Indy for a second opinion. No issues (that I know of yet!). A friend of mine can’t take her son for a second opinion out of state due to insurance not covering it. So we have to be grateful!!

• Anonymous
      September 19, 2011 at 4:00 pm

We have BCBS with a secondary insurance called MEBS & we’ve never had any issues either. Emily’s medical bills are probably close to $1 million dollars by now & they have covered everything (KNOCK ON WOOD!).

Kelly

• September 20, 2011 at 6:46 pm

kelly—sounds like Emily is doing good with the fewer infusions 🙂
      How is she doing without the port and getting the iv? Glad she is doing well. Hopefully one day she will be free of treatments.

• Anonymous
      September 25, 2011 at 9:03 am

Problems with insurance companies usually (but not always) arise out of a miscoding by either the hospital or Dr. Or sometimes an item is not posted on the bill, or a wrong diagnosis code,etc.

Most od the times I have found that the insurance companies have done their job adequately. But, if there is an initial problem, it seems like it takes forever to correct it.

Dick S

• Anonymous
      September 25, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Hi Lori,

Emily is doing really well with getting IV’s. I’m actually surprised at how well she has done with it. It’s nice for me to not have to worry about the port all the time.

She seems to be doing really well with her current treatment schedule. She’s been complaining of leg pains but I’m pretty sure they are from growing pains. She’s been roller skating & is exceeding expectations.

I have my fingers crossed for the big R word!

Kelly

• September 25, 2011 at 6:56 pm

glad to hear that Kelly 🙂

yes Dick i think you are right, the few issues i have had with my insurance company have been due to coding–once i got that corrected, the bill was promptly paid