Nursing Journal article on GBS Residuals

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2006 at 2:28 pm

Interesting article:

entitled: “The Vexed Question of Residuals in Guillain-Barre’ Syndrome” is an article reprinted on (the always excellent) “All About Guillain-Barre’ Syndrome” website. The article was first published in a New Zealand nursing journal in August 2004.

[url]http://www.jsmarcussen.com/gbs/print/residual3.htm[/url]

Hope everyone is having a good summer……

CG 🙂

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2006 at 2:39 pm

it is really upsetting that everything I read about GBS is negative… I like to think that I will get back to or even better than I was before…….:(

Simon.

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2006 at 4:53 pm

Hi Simon,

I’m very sorry that you are feeling discouraged, that was not my intent in posting this information. But please keep in mind that I did mark the posting clearly as being about GBS “residuals” which for those of us who have lingering effects following our GBS is something that we may or may not want to read about, the choice to read the article is up to the individual.

[U]Always[/U] keep hopeful, for those of us who walked when we were told we would never walk again, hell, for those of us who had their loved ones told that we probably wouldn’t pull through at all, it is all about the degrees of how lucky you feel and trying to keep positive and keep perspective can be a huge task, but I truly believe keeping as positive as possible even in the face of the negative gets you further. On days when the pain is so bad that I want to chew my feet off to get away from them, I don’t feel so lucky, but when I juxtapose that against those for whom GBS left them unable to walk again, well again it is all about perspective. You celebrate every little bit that you get back of your old self and you continue to push for more, that is what makes GBS survivors the extraordinary people that they are. The more we are told “no, it will never happen”, the more we set out to prove “them” wrong.

My physical body will [U]never[/U] be where it was before I got GBS, never. It couldn’t possibly be. (But who I am to say that you will not be able to accomplish that?) But mentally I would like to think that (surprisingly enough) there have been many, many, gifts that GBS has left me with, perspective, keeping priorities inline, knowing that the things that concerned me as something “big” pre-GBS, just was soooo insignificant……..so while my body is not better, my mind certainly is.

best wishes to you and [U]never[/U] give up hope,
      cg

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2006 at 5:10 pm

hi simon,

the good news is that, considering how damaging gbs is initially, on the average a lot of recovery is made. on an individual basis no one knows how long nor to what degree a gbser will recover. so keep a v positive attitude & never give up, never give in. zoloft for depression. buspar for anxiety. btw, the article mentioned a john steinberg. in fact he is joel steinberg. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2006 at 5:20 pm

Thanks CG good article.

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2006 at 6:34 pm

[CENTER][FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid][B]CG does it again![/B][/COLOR][/SIZE] [/FONT][/CENTER]

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]Very good read.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorchid]The JS Marcussen GBS webpage is excellent. I have had it under my ‘Favorites’ for years. Marc cued me in to it a long time ago. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2006 at 10:05 pm

Thanks CJ. Good article.Will putmin folder.

Peg

• Anonymous
      July 19, 2006 at 8:31 am

Thanks CG.

Well said Gene, your supporting words also make wonder like medicine. Simon to note this pl.

• Anonymous
      July 19, 2006 at 1:27 pm

[QUOTE=gene]hi simon,

the good news is that, considering how damaging gbs is initially, on the average a lot of recovery is made. on an individual basis no one knows how long nor to what degree a gbser will recover. so keep a v positive attitude & never give up, never give in. zoloft for depression. buspar for anxiety. btw, the article mentioned a john steinberg. in fact he is joel steinberg. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength[/QUOTE]

Gene I agree 100% with you,
      thanks..

Simon

• July 19, 2006 at 2:04 pm

Hi: Article was very interesting, especially many of the residules they talk about I deal with all the time. It is nice to know that I’m not crazy. More physicans need to read up and learn more about GBS. I’ve had one Nureo. tell me after I supposedy recovered it was in my head the problems I was experiencing. Thanks again.

• Anonymous
      July 19, 2006 at 3:56 pm

CG,

Thanks for the link. I wish I could print this article and highlight spots for my boss to read. But I don’t think it would do any good as she is a very healthy person with little empathy. At least I know for myself, I am doing the best I can and with trying the latest drugs available, I am searching for some improvement. I’ve been a month or so on Cymbalta and it is pretty good. It is nice to only take one pill instead of 2 or 3. I know we all agree that this heat wave is sooo hard to take and after work all I can do is go home and sleep.