November general election

• Anonymous
      September 5, 2008 at 12:51 am

Who will you vote for in the November 2008 general election?

• September 5, 2008 at 10:44 am

Hopefully we will all vote, whomever the candidate. I think it is going to be a rough ride, down to the last votes. Probably better I vote and think in silence!!! My brother and I are so opposite, thank God Nov. 4th is before the Holiday seasons!!!

• Anonymous
      September 6, 2008 at 10:17 am

Dr. Bob’s Pros and Cons By Bob Hertzog

In 2009, when President Bush hands off the responsibility to lead this nation, he will give his successor a nation in worse condition than any other president before him. Here are some of the problems the new president will face: a fight against terrorism in Afghanistan and Pakistan ballooning out of control, a continuing stalemate between Israelis and Palestinians, Iran with nuclear intentions still unclear, global warming unaddressed, U.S. leadership in the world at its lowest point well over 100 years, illegal immigration still unresolved, 40 million Americans with no, or inadequate, health insurance, and an economy teetering on the brink of recession.

It is true, of course, that every new president inherits some of the problems from the previous president’s administration, but in the case of President Bush those problems are myriad and overwhelming. What has been accomplished in the 7 years of this presidency? Not one of the nation’s serious problems have been resolved or even seriously addressed by this administration. Under President Bush’s leadership America has started two wars, both of which are still unresolved, and those wars have occupied this President to the point of such distraction that most of our other national and international problems have placed on the back burner.

Even the wars – the one thing to which this president does seem to have paid attention – have been mishandled to the point of buffoonery. He pulled forces from the first war – the one we had every right to fight – before it was won and sent them on an ill-conceived and badly managed invasion of a country that presented us no serious threat, in an effort to find weapons of mass destruction that did not exist. Bush strutted out on an aircraft carrier to proclaim mission accomplished before the second war was over. Now young American men are still dying in both wars. The result of all of this is that the American nation is less secure today than it was before the wars were started.

Fifty years from now as historians look back on the dawn of the 21st century, I believe they will rank the Bush presidency as the worst in our nation’s history, lower even than Buchanan, Harding, Grant and even Carter. I do not envy the task of the next president, regardless of the party that wins the White House.

• Anonymous
      September 6, 2008 at 11:37 am

i’m with you jef!
      alice

• Anonymous
      September 6, 2008 at 1:23 pm

I am a Republican, embarrassed at the poor work the party/Pres. Bush has done over the past years, and am voting for Obama.
      WE NEED A CHANGE!

KEDASO

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2008 at 4:52 am

Way to go Jef! I feel the same exact way and can’t wait to see Bush out of office. But I want the Bush Administration our the door with him. And I voted for Bush the second term and now hate I ever did so!
      Really unsure of what our future holds us with the new president. Might just be the same ole same ole or the man might turn out to be the best president the US has ever had! They can make promises on thieir campaigns but I want to see them put out what they have promised!
      I have decided to vote for Obama. The man seems to be very intelligent. Has been doing his homework and he has a reputation to keep. I’m going to give the man a chance. Personally! I think this man may turn out to be the best president we have ever had! He’s going to have one heck of a job to do though when he hits office. And it may take him another term to clean up the mess that has been made but I think this man might turn out to do a fine job and take care of Americans they the government should have done years ago.
      So Obama it’s going to be for me!

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2008 at 9:30 pm

c’mon— the republicans are not going to encourage research in our common problem….

we need obama!

• Anonymous
      September 7, 2008 at 9:52 pm

It’s a very scarey time and the votes are critical. Every vote will surely matter.

I dont discuss politics with anyone really and I’ve recently learned a valuable lesson.

I wore a tshirt to work on casual Friday, that has Obama on it wearing Mickey Mouse ears. Two african american girls in my office said it was racist. It is not racist. I quickly learned that I shouldnt have worn it, but, that’s my personality- I thought it was a funny tshirt. I didnt mean to offend anyone. But, I did…and never expected the racial card to be thrown. I am so NOT a racist person. I hate that skin color is such an issue.

I’m an undecided voter…I wouldnt care if they wore a McCain shirt just like the one I wore. If I had one, I’d wear it. It doesnt mean I wont vote for Obama. It doesnt mean that I will. I just thought it was funny.
      Politics arent something to joke about with many folks, I’ve learned the hard way. I have worked with these girls for years. I’ve been there for 18 years!…they know me pretty well…and still, they were insulted big time. Either that or they found a way to get to me. I dont know. I got to them but did NOT mean any harm or mean it the way they took it. Nobody else thought it was a racial shirt….I asked others of all colors throughout the day. Nobody else thought it was racial and didnt even see why it would be. Perhaps not appropriate but not racial. I went to my boss over it b/c I didnt know if I could get in trouble. She, too, saw nothing, “racial”.

I apologized but now I feel that I’ll always be thought of as the one that wore the racist Obama shirt. It was Obama with Mouse ears on…like a mousekateer. That’s all. Nothing more.
      There will be all creeds, colors, sexes, etc. voting for both candidates. I think that is awesome. The girls in my office DONT really know me. Good thing I’m not running for president.

oh well.

thought I’d share that with you guys. Political opinions most often shouldnt be shared in the work place if we arent prepared to fight. That’s what I, myself, have learned, anyway.
      well wishes,

Stacey

• Anonymous
      September 8, 2008 at 12:50 am

Here is a web site that presents the position of each of the canidates on the various issues for your information:

http://www.2008electionprocon.org/”

• Anonymous
      September 11, 2008 at 11:10 pm

29 have been accused of spousal abuse
      7 have been arrested for fraud
      19 have been accused of writing bad checks
      117 have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses
      3 have done time for assault
      71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit
      14 have been arrested on drug-related charges
      8 have been arrested for shoplifting
      21 are currently defendants in lawsuits
      84 have been arrested for drunk driving in the last year

Can you guess which organization this is?

It’s the 535 members of the United States Congress. The same group that cranks out hundreds of new laws each year designed to keep the rest of us in line.

• Anonymous
      September 12, 2008 at 7:22 am

For years and years I have heard my father say that all we have in office is a bunch of …. crooks. 117 huh? The other’s just did not get caught yet~:D

• September 12, 2008 at 2:37 pm

WOW!! Talk about a dead heat. I think this really is how it will play out. I hope we rise to the challenge (gov, not us) and appropriateley handle recounts this time!!! It would be kind of hypocritical if we don’t.

• Anonymous
      September 13, 2008 at 11:22 am

I hope more people vote in the election. As of this post there were 161 views, but only 24 votes. Every votes does count. I do not care what your political view are, you have the right to your own opinion and too many young and not so young man gave their lives to insure that you have that right. Please vote.

• Anonymous
      September 13, 2008 at 4:24 pm

On behalf of the general public of the rest of the world, I implore our brothers and sisters of the American general public, don’t make it possible for Palin to become POTUS!!!

• Anonymous
      September 13, 2008 at 11:30 pm

I’m voting for Obama/Biden.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      September 14, 2008 at 12:27 pm

I’m guessing that “Diebold” will select my vote.

• Anonymous
      September 18, 2008 at 1:18 am

Flower, It has been a while since voting machines have been mentioned.
      Here is the first paragraph of a story on the AP (Associated Press)

States throw out costly electronic voting machines
      By DEBORAH HASTINGS – Aug 19, 2008

The demise of touch-screen voting has produced a graveyard of expensive corpses: Warehouses stacked with thousands of carefully wrapped voting machines that have been shelved because of doubts about vanishing votes and vulnerability to hackers.

• Anonymous
      September 26, 2008 at 3:29 pm

It will be interesting to see what going to happen in the debate tonight. Will they stay on topic or swith to the economy?

• October 3, 2008 at 12:25 am

Wow! Slam dunk!! You have to admit, Palin did exactly what she needed to do, reinforced the fact that they distance themselves from the Bush doctrine by reitterating they are going to change things in Washington, that they are going to work for the people and that she understands the plight of the middle class, as she is the middle class (upper albeit). Senator Biden stated percentages on voting records which we as the public do not have the records in front of us to dispute or not. It made it difficult for people to connect. Obama may have made an error in his choice being that there were many issues that they themselves differ on. It seems as though they might not be on the same page more often than they should. Hilary may have been a better choice for him. Biden seemed to be frusterated many times. One point that Biden made that I did find admireable was when asked what promises that he initially made before the latest economic events wo he would have to break. He named several and I thought that was honest and stand up. Although palins answer was strong and confident, stating that they pledged to work for the people and fight corruption and they do not plan on breaking that promise, I thought it was somewhat elusive in that it might not be the whole picture of what they promised. Politicians, aren’t they all elusive? All in all, I think she succeded in hitting the regular guy and was able to paint a picture of unity w/Mccain ready to fight Washington. If they win, I hope they can deliver what they promise and don’t lead us down a deeper road with the same old thing. I am a little concearned about McCains insurance proposal, $5K credit and something about repurchasing a $!2K plan (average cost of plan) Are they saying you get the 5k credit but we tax you on the 12? Not clear on that, will have to look into it. Anybody have any insight? Oh well, who ever wins the election, I will support and hope for the best, afterall, they all are “politicians” in the end, its about the sell!! Another good point that Biden brought up is the fact that McCain voted for more de-regulation for the sub prime lending. That was stupid and crooked on his part if it is true!! Say it isn’t so Joe!!!

• Anonymous
      October 3, 2008 at 11:26 am

I don’t care who everyone is voting for as long as you educate yourself before you vote. Everyone is on the Obama train and only hear what the media says. Please research what both canidates stand for and their history of voting in their respective offices. If you really want the “changes” that Obama presents and stand for the same things he stands for; vote for him. If you align more with McCain, vote for him. Don’t let the media dictate who you choose. Don’t let the “Bush administration” dicate your vote either. Obama and McCain are both different politicians that Bush and they BOTH agree that some things need to change.

Research the issues and make up your own mind.

• Anonymous
      October 3, 2008 at 6:09 pm

factcheck.org does helps sort out some of the claims made by both sides.

Good luck.

• Anonymous
      October 4, 2008 at 4:05 pm

Here we have been hearing on TV about America being broke and that we need a 700 Billion Dollar Bailout! My governor Mike Easley two days after announced that our State bought Grandfather Mountain and 13 Billion Dollars! 13 Billion! Here we are in financial crisis and he goes out and buy a freaking mountain! Boy did that put a bug up my behind! A say they are all a bunch of crooks in office. They have been showing one town in my area where they have placed tents for the homeless right now. Some that got kicked out of renting and their landlord foreclosed. And my Governor purchases a Mountain. He could have saved that money and spent it on the people that live here. Better yet! Placed it on that 700 Billion Bailout saving the Gov from having to do a bailout. Add 52 States and their surplus and see if there is enough! I was furious when I saw this on TV!

• Anonymous
      October 5, 2008 at 12:00 pm

I agree with you JEF, but even more so. I’ve been say for the pas few months that this is the worst presidency ever. I voted for his dad I even voted for him. I initialy defended his actions and decisions on 9/11.

Im so disenchanted with “W” that I could go on and on.

Im voting for McCain. Im a registered Dem. One thing that mcCain has a real reputation for is telling the truth. And he really has served our country. I was for him long ago, during the last election, but I figured he would never get the nomination, because he isnt a politician in the truest sense.

And where can I get a t-shirt with Obama having mickey mouse ears? I’ll wear it and dare someone to call me a racist.

And I’m voting for governor Palin as well. I sincerely hope that she is our nations first female President.

• Anonymous
      October 5, 2008 at 7:06 pm

[QUOTE=Allaug]On behalf of the general public of the rest of the world, I implore our brothers and sisters of the American general public, don’t make it possible for Palin to become POTUS!!![/QUOTE]

Allaug, don’t worry I don’t think that is going to happen. I try to look beyond the campaign rhetoric and instead look at what each side stands for. Republicans believe by giving to the rich — what they call trickle-down economy – some of the “crumbs” will find their way to the middle class and less advantaged. It hasn’t worked.

Another area that should be especially important to us disabled and our families is how each candidate’s plans will affect the disabled and the people with no or insufficient healthcare .

Here is an interesting article by someone who has thoroughly researched this issue: [B][I]”What Kind of Advocacy Do Americans with Disabilities Really Need?”[/I][/B]

[COLOR=”DarkSlateBlue”]http://www.patriciaebauer.com/2008/09/15/paul-longmore-open-lette/#more-3205[/COLOR]

Also read the feedback following the article by people more articulate than me.

• Anonymous
      October 5, 2008 at 11:42 pm

Thanks Norb for the article link. Enjoy the discussion.

• Anonymous
      October 6, 2008 at 3:15 am

I have to vote McCain. I will not vote for a person unwilling to place his hand on a Bible (Obama)!

• Anonymous
      October 6, 2008 at 8:03 am

FYI

Two press reports from Obama’s swearing-in ceremony in January 2005 mention specifically that Obama took the oath of office by placing his hand on his own copy of the Bible. The Barack Obama campaign also confirmed that it was a Bible and that the book belonged to Obama. Vice President Dick Cheney, in his role as president of the Senate, administered the oath.

• Anonymous
      October 6, 2008 at 8:59 am

McCain has said that he’s pulling his advertising out of MI – essentially giving up our 17 electoral votes. I heard he doesn’t want MI to be a battle ground state.

While I’m for Obama, this REALLY irritates me. It just doesn’t seem to be in the spirit of the election. Every state should have their fair say.

If Obama wins MI I want it to be fair & square – not because McCain handed it to him.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      October 8, 2008 at 1:52 am

I am much less worried about the Presidential election than I am about the state of our economy. Either candidate will be taking over a country in a recession, possibly even a depression. Most of the Baby Boomers have made no effort to save, instead counting on the equity from the sale of homes that we now know to be greatly overpriced & overinflated. They have watched their 401K Plans plummet 50% in the stock market since the beginning of this year. And now we are finally beginning to hear that Social Security is really in the trouble that politicians have been denying for years; maybe it will become mainly a welfare program for the very poor who have nothing. 40% of all taxes paid in this country now go for Social Security, Medicare & Medicaid!

So who has a better plan, Obama or McCain. I have watched the stumping, the debates & the pundants for hours & I still don’t have any answers. As a registered Independent I am still undecided; but will probably vote for McCain, just because he has more experience. Not that it matters, as I live in MN which always votes Democratic, even in the year Dukakis couldn’t even carry his own state, he took MN. I wish we could vote for an entirely new Congress, & not allow lawyers to run, only Accountants & economists! So tonight I will say a prayer for the USA, that we can weather this & leave a better country for our children.

• Anonymous
      October 8, 2008 at 8:30 am

The second debate shows me that Obama indeed has a better command of the issues. It was good to see that McCain slowed done on some of his attacts I think it might have helped him a little bit. One more debate next week. It will be interesting to see what the they both say and do during the next seven days.

• Anonymous
      October 8, 2008 at 12:32 pm

Unfortunately Emily you are correct. Its a numbers game and some of us will have no say becaus eof the electoral college system. The candidates really never consider Oklahoma a battle ground either with its piddly amount of electoral college votes.

Also, it seems to be a general consensus (not just republicans but analysts of the debates), that contrary to what Obama says, his wide spread plans will actually result in more taxes.

[COLOR=”Blue”][SIZE=”6″]IM VOTING FOR MCCAIN[/SIZE][/COLOR]

• Anonymous
      October 10, 2008 at 3:58 pm

In the up comming debate will John McCain do anything to move away from discussions on the economy?

• Anonymous
      October 14, 2008 at 2:28 pm

Thank you for the link, Norb – I have read with great interest, and what eludes me is how anyone could vote for a candidate\party that, after what is currently happening in the States and all over the world as a consequence, are going for a “market and business driven approach” to medical as well as all economical questions, and have a “philosophy of disengaged government” where human greed can be the unrestricted fuel for all economic undertakings.

Cynically yours

• Anonymous
      October 14, 2008 at 10:29 pm

What I don’t understand is how anyone cuold vote for a candidate that is so un-american? Obama is a frightening prospect with all of the “changes” that he would like to make to “america”. I can’t imagine how someone could even be considered for president that does not respect our flag. Study the issues and vote for the candidate that is in-line with your beliefs. However, be careful that their “issues” are real and not just a political front. You need to vote for the person as well as the issues.

• Anonymous
      October 14, 2008 at 11:57 pm

Does anyone know where I can get a FREE Obama/Biden yard sign?

I sent a MySpace message to the Obama/Biden page & got a link to a site where I can buy one. But I don’t really want to spend $8 on a sign…I’m cheap like that.

For the Michiganders – have you researched Prop 2? It’s about the stem cell research. I keep seeing commercials against it so I decided to look it up & I’m going to vote yes for it. I don’t think it will pass though because there has been too much negative advertising for it.

I cannot wait for election day. I’m burned out on politics.

Kelly

• Anonymous
      October 15, 2008 at 9:07 am

Yes please, can’t today be the voting day. I am so tired of distorted facts…from BOTH sides. I am tired of phone calls, door to door candidates/supporters and the mammoth mailings.

While my vote is private, I amazed that people still fall for incredibly false statements and things that are inferred, yet these same people are clueless that their own “great” candidate has problematic type issues in their background too. Neither candidate is perfect.
      I vote for a candidate based on issues and the info the candidate has offered on them, vs voting against a candidate based on how a candidate is portrayed by the “other side”. Unfortunately, people in this country are more likely to vote against a candidate based on how the “other side” has portrayed them. JMO.

Kristin

• Anonymous
      October 15, 2008 at 9:25 am

Kristen – I agree with you. I wish people would take the time to research the candidates, see what they stand for & then make the best decision for them. Instead, I fear, some people listen to what pundits on the 24 hour news channels say about each candidate & then base their vote on that.

I recently learned of a website that is supposed to sort through the rhetoric & give insight to what the candidates really stand for. If anyone is interested it’s:
      [url]http://www.factcheck.org/[/url]

Kelly

• Anonymous
      October 15, 2008 at 9:28 am

So tired of the phone calls and mailings.
      I will watch the debate tonight in hopes of getting more answers on the issues.
      I want to know how they intend to do everything they propose for our country.
      We know how each plans to deal with medical care but tell me what your plans are for trying to fix the economy and get the war over.
      I want to know that certain issues are put on the back burner while the most desperate can be dealt with.
      Convince me you are the candidate I should vote for. :confused:
      Shirley

• Anonymous
      October 15, 2008 at 11:02 am

I am obviously in the minority but I think they have not said enough about healthcare to really know where I stand. Of course my opinion is based on my disease and my state and its insurance/healthcare.
      I’ll watch the debate later on the computer when I can get up the urge to listen, just one last time. Alas though, I am pretty set on who i will vote for, so I don’t know if the debate has a chance to sink that unless my candidate tosses himself under the bus. Maybe I’ll just stay away from news until the election is over (and don’t answer the phone, get the mail, nor answer the door).

Kristin

• Anonymous
      October 16, 2008 at 1:50 am

3 of 3 debates for Obama, 1 of 1 debate for Biden. Good job!

• Anonymous
      October 19, 2008 at 10:41 pm

Amazing, announcement today about the endorsement of Obama by Powell.
      There are a lot of unhappy campers over this news. What do you think about what Powell had to say in his announcement?

• Anonymous
      November 4, 2008 at 1:16 am

Election day has arrived. It will be interesting to see how this poll compares to the actual count of votes across the nation.

• Anonymous
      November 4, 2008 at 12:21 pm

Hopefully, after it is all over, not matter who wins, we will be one nation again working together to solve our problems in a fair and equitable way.

• Anonymous
      November 4, 2008 at 6:18 pm

we won’t be , if Obama is elected

• Anonymous
      November 11, 2008 at 12:33 am

We now each have the opportunity to support our President elect and continue to suport President Bush and pray that both will work to solve the mamy challenges and serious problems of our nation.