Not Doing Well, Been Sick, Not Cidp Though

• Anonymous
      February 29, 2008 at 12:21 pm

Hello Family,
      I am glad to see our forum is back so that I finally have an understanding family to talk to.

I have been sick to my stomach, can’t tolerate alot of favorite foods, headaches, etc. for about two weeks now and I am pretty sure it’s because I’ve been stressing out since my mother died on January 28th. I think I’ve even had panic attacks because I’ve breathed heavy like I was panting.

All of this sickness from stress is on me because my life has turned upside down again and I am groping around to try to regain control. The house that was my parents is mine now and I would not be able to make it financially if I stayed where my roots and familiar things are, so it must be sold. I am in a wheelchair and I have to make a move. I do know that I now need to live where I can better take care of myself for the rest of my life, but I am scared and the fear is making me physically sick. I think this knot in my stomach is going to be with me until I’ve resettled in a new home. I am hoping that once things start falling into place, I’ll feel better.

On top of these changes in my life, I am having serious problems with my teeth and face major, expensive dental problems. I am TERRIFIED of going to a dentist, but I have no choice, otherwise they will get so bad, I will not be able to tolerate the pain.

I saw my family doctor yesterday and she does know me well enough to believe that stress is making me sick. I am going back on the elavil (amatriptiline) I used to take.

I think I just need some hugs and someone to tell me they know stress can make you sick and to agree that it is scary to make a move when you’re in a wheelchair.

• Anonymous
      February 29, 2008 at 2:18 pm

Well, of course you are feeling stressed with all that has just happened to you. Just be careful as you can of your health. Several relatives have had a stomach flu that really did a number on them! You have some hard decisions to make now and there is no easy way to handle it. Come here for comfort. Huggs (bear huggs!) to you!

Alma
      GBS-MFv 1993 and 2004

• Anonymous
      February 29, 2008 at 3:49 pm

Hugs from Iowa too! I pray that you will start feeling better as your medication starts working and that you will find a wonderful new home where you feel comfortable and safe. I do not think anyone really likes to go to the dentist (sorry to all you dentists out there), but unfortunately if we do not, it can cause health problems. My husband had some bad experiences as a child and it took me years to get him to the dentist. It was not nearly as bad has he imagined it would be. Take a deep breath and know that your gbs/cidp family is “holding your hand” through all of this!

• Anonymous
      February 29, 2008 at 4:41 pm

You’ve gone through ALOT in the past few weeks. Of course, it’s perfectly natural & acceptable that you would feel sick to your stomach & have anxiety.

I get that sick to your stomach- feeling like a knots in there pain often when I am worried about something. I’ve found that I can create, in my own mind, more worries than are necessary. I’ve found that if I just face what is causing the anxiety that it NEVER turns out to be as bad as I thought it would be.

And I can certainly understand your fears. I hate change. ABSO-FREAKING-LUTELY hate change! Even when it’s change that I want & have created for myself. It’s hard to pack up your life & move. I think it’s even harder when you are leaving the home that you shared with your mother. Not only are you deciding what things of yours you are keeping, where they are going to go, & what to do with the things you don’t want/need anymore – you are also having to do that with your mother’s things as well. It has to be emotionally & physically draining.

My advice would be to take it one minute & one hour at a time and make sure you breathe. Take long deep breathes when you start to worry or feel anxious. It helps…trust me.

HUGE, GIGANTIC HUGS!

Kelly

• February 29, 2008 at 6:45 pm

Hi Liz,
      Big positive happy thoughts are sent your way. I am so glad you know you can come here to your friends. Maybe the change of a new surrounding will have a positive affect. A time to get a fresh start on things with no worries of big bills, maintenance and sorrowful reminders. Maybe you could get on a list for senior living, low income housing options for seniors (in our state it is over 55 or with a disability) The wait can be long, a year or more, maybe you can get on a list and by the time you sell the house you could be placed, or maybe stay in a short term lease until you can get in. My prayers and thoughts are with you.
      Dawn

• Anonymous
      February 29, 2008 at 7:07 pm

Hugs and prayers for you! I agree wholeheartedly with Kelly to take each minute / hour at a time, taking a deep breath. Remind yourself [U]why[/U] you are doing what you’re doing and keep going forward. You’ve been through so much recently….be kind to yourself. When you come out on the other side of this situation you’ll be stronger and better.

Keeping a positive thought for you,
      Carla

• Anonymous
      February 29, 2008 at 8:47 pm

[FONT=”Comic Sans MS”][SIZE=”2″]Dear Liz
      So sorry you’re not doing so well.
      Here’s a big hug from me[SIZE=”4″][B] ( )[/B][/SIZE] and two from the cats, Gemini and Frankie ( ) ( )
      [B][I]Hate [/I][/B]the dentist,but there are some really gentle ones out there and you will feel better if you get that out of the way so you can focus on allthe other things you need to do.
      My heart goes out to you Liz,God bless and keep you.
      V[/SIZE][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      March 1, 2008 at 4:59 am

Liz,
      I get sick to my stomach and have panic attacks everytime I get a toothache because I am so terrified of going through more dental procedures. I have been extremely unlucky in my choice of dentists in the past – one refused to use novacaine, one used to “feel me up”, the most devestating was fine for awhile but became an alcoholic or drug addict and completely lost it – he stabbed me in the tongue twice with the drill – I later realized he was drilling so hard into my tooth because he was attempting to break it on purpose so I would have to get a crown. It took me several years to realize that his mistakes weren’t all mistakes and that my mouth would be forever ruined by his sleazy attempts to make more money off of me. In total he ended up breaking 6 of my teeth – and god only knows how many “cavities” I didn’t have. I finally left him in a fit of rage after he broke my “favorite” tooth – it was crooked and I got used to my crooked little smile and he broke it off on purpose – drilled on each side of that tooth though there had been no cavity there, then he just snapped it off and said “well that was weaker than I thought.” I never questioned why he always wanted me to get the nitrous oxide either and why he would get pissy when I didn’t want it because it gave me a headache. One time he gave me so much nitrous that I wrecked my husband’s car attempting to drive out of the parking lot. Can you believe that? I should have called the police but I didn’t and now 10 years later I heard from someone my husband works with that this same dentist is still practicing and has ruined several other people’s mouths too. Needless to say, I don’t trust dentists anymore and completely understand your reluctance to go anywhere near those sadistic monsters. I do have one suggestion though – believe it or not I did find a dentist locally that I have gone to when desperate – he is a pediatric dentist. HA HA HA! But it works for me and he is very patient with my panic. I don’t think I’ll ever trust him but I will force myself to go when I have to.

Good luck Liz, I wish I could go with you and hold your hand and distract you. You might try taking something to listen to – I had a book on tape on my portable player (pre-IPOD stuff) and I cranked it up loud enough that I couldn’t hear the drill… other than that as my friend says “better living through pharmaceuticals” – drug yourself if you can’t make it any other way.

And good luck with the move too – it’s frightening at any point but I can’t imagine doing it alone and in a wheelchair… though if I don’t get back to work or get disability soon we might have to do that as well. Sniff sniff.:(

Julie

• Anonymous
      March 1, 2008 at 11:13 am

[IMG]http://www.ourbluemarble.us/forum/hug.gif[/IMG]

• Anonymous
      March 2, 2008 at 11:11 pm

Liz,

I’m so sorry to hear that you lost your mother. I just read this thread and found out about it. It is so hard to lose a parent – nothing else can really compare.

It’s no wonder you are stressed out. Having to sell your family home and move would be enough to stress anyone out, especially after losing your mother so recently. It’s a big adjustment, and must come with lots of mixed emotions.

One thing to remember is, that often the things we resist or dread the most can turn out to be the best thing we could have done. It’s natural to be anxious before you make such a big change, because you can’t see the outcome yet. I’ll just bet you’ll have many great experiences that happen as a result of your move.

Meanwhile, please know that my thoughts are with you, and you always have the support of your GBS family.

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      March 2, 2008 at 11:38 pm

๐Ÿ˜‰ [FONT=Georgia][SIZE=6][COLOR=red]((( Cody a Great Big Hug for You ))) [I][FONT=Palatino Linotype][COLOR=purple] Remember this I’m Pulling for You ![/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      March 3, 2008 at 11:53 am

Hello family,
      Thanks for the support. I know I will be shaking, but I have a dental appointment on Thursday. A friend will take me. There’s so many things that scare me. I feel so ashamed to admit that I have bad teeth. I wear a full plate on the top and I only have a few teeth left on the bottom. What am I going to do if all the bottom teeth have to be pulled??? How will I eat and what can I eat??? Do I try a full plate for the bottom or find a way to afford the cost of implants??? I have no dental insurance right now. I used to have it, I know it was there six years ago, but somehow it got dropped. I had to re-apply and I cannot use the dental coverage until Nov. 2009.

I think I am going to have a big problem getting into the dental chair because of the footplate. I can only hope that I can manage that.

The cowardly lioness (mew)

• Anonymous
      March 3, 2008 at 10:38 pm

Liz,

Your in my thoughts and prayers dear, your a very strong woman and I know you can handle anything thrown your way. Contact me anytime if you need to.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      March 4, 2008 at 11:26 am

Liz, I have had full dentures for 10 years or so and never had any problems. One time I had them relined because my gums had shrunk a little. I don’t even have to use an adhesive and can eat just about anything except apples which I have to cut into slices. When I just had a few lower teeth left I said to the dentist; “let’s get it over with and pull them all out!” I never regretted that decision.

My grandchildren are fascinated when they find out that I can take out my teeth. Sometimes I take both dentures in my hand and make them talk which cracks them up.

Good luck on Thursday. Just think after that you never have to see a dentist again.

• Anonymous
      March 5, 2008 at 8:07 am

Liz,

I am sorry you are having a tough time. I can very well relate to your recent loss. I am struggling daily with the void that’s left. I spent every day with my mom and I miss her more than I ever thought I could.

I had a breast biopsy last thursday and I was SO scared. It’s not quite the dentist but the fear is just as real.

Good luck with the dentist…get some feel good juice…I’ll keep you in my prayers.

hugs from Omaha.

Stacey

• Anonymous
      March 7, 2008 at 12:32 am

Hang in there Liz!

It’s no wonder you are stressed!

Do what you can, do what you must….

It’s NOT fair, it’s certainly not easy….

You will do better soon.

• Anonymous
      March 7, 2008 at 1:42 am

Dear Liz

Thanks for sharing. Stress is a part and parcel of our life and we have to cope with the situation somehow. Being GBS patient, I also have some stress related problems but it is for the time being and incidental like shaking (tremors) hands, impatience, all of sudden paining anywhere in body etc. etc.

I am sure the women of your statute can overcome it easily.

Our best wishes are all the time with you.

• Anonymous
      March 7, 2008 at 4:46 am

Sandeep,
      You are a very strong man…………..I have picked that up is your “posts”.
      I admire you very much…………….and, prayers and condolences to you on the loss of your mother.

Truly,

Per

• Anonymous
      March 7, 2008 at 2:04 pm

[FONT=”Comic Sans MS”][SIZE=”3″]Liz
      How’d it go?
      Tell me it was a breeze and you came out smiling. ๐Ÿ˜€
      Thinking of you
      Veronica[/SIZE][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      March 8, 2008 at 12:38 pm

Hi Family,
      My first dental appointment is over with and it wasn’t so bad, just x-rays taken. The teeth I have are still strong and they can be saved. I’ll also try a partial for the bottom since the teeth are strong enough to clip onto. The next dental appointment I’ll be there for about two hours, root canal, fillings, no extractions, but will have the gas or “sweet air” to make it easier on me. It’s going to be expensive, no dental insurance (had it, got dropped somehow), but it has to be done so there goes my vacation money.

The Brave Lioness
      PS, I guess dentists learned not to lecture about bad teeth!

• Anonymous
      March 8, 2008 at 7:52 pm

Hooray!! One appointment done for you ๐Ÿ™‚ We knew you could do it!!!
      Think happy thoughts and how great it will be when the dental work is all finished! Hugs from Iowa….

• Anonymous
      March 8, 2008 at 8:24 pm

That’s good Liz! They start you off on the minimum of Nitrous Oxide, so don’t be shy to ask them to increase it if you need more!

For me the Nitrous is the only good part of a dentist visit!

• Anonymous
      March 14, 2008 at 4:22 pm

Hi family,
      I got through my second dental appointment and you would have been proud of my courage. I had a root canal and a filling done, I was in the dental chair for almost two hours with that suction in my mouth, PHHHHHHHHT, SLURPPPPPPPPP.

Next appointment will be in two weeks to be fitted for a partial on the bottom, no extractions were necessary. The bottom teeth could be saved, still strong.

My biggest fear was that the dentist would lecture me on neglecting my teeth, but he didn’t do that. I know how I am and if he had lectured, I would have cried.

Thank you for your concern Stacey (connorsmom). Email me if you need to talk to someone about your life without mom.