NJ Mandatory Flu Vaccination for Pre-school

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2008 at 10:04 am

Yesterday the papers reported that NJ is mandating that all children in pre-school be given the flu vaccine. I got a fairly bad bout of GBS in 2005 and am doing better than a lot that I’ve read here. My uncle was diagnosed with GBS in the 1980’s. There’s also other instances of auto-immune conditions in other blood relatives. I have a child who is supposed to start pre-school next month. (BTW – he was born during the 3 months I was hospitalized).

I know medicine says that GBS is not hereditary, but since they can’t pin down exact causes, I’m hesitant. I’ve seen enough here and on the net that there has to be some genetic component that makes us come down with it (or its variants).

Anyone had to deal with this? I’ve never had a flu shot so I know that wasn’t my trigger. (I would like to have a dollar for every time I was asked that question!)

Thanks………………. Mike

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2008 at 10:36 am

Mike, there is a thread started by one of our moms who also did not want to have her son get the injections. She made an appeal to the school and they made an exception for her child based on all the info she provided to them. You may want to search for that thread. It is just within the last week or so. I have to head into town or I would have found it for you.

Have a great day and good luck with this.

• August 20, 2008 at 11:10 am

Mike,
      GBS is not hereditary, but the predisposition to any autoimmune disease once there is one, any, in the family is. Regarding the vaccine, I just turned in my older son’s H.S. physical and refused the mandatory tetanus booster based on my younger son Kevies bout with cidp. The doc wrote a note that there is autoimmune history in our family and at this time the parents are invoking their right to refuse the immunization. If an incident of injury should arrise, and I felt it was urgent that my older son get the tet booster, I would consider it at that time. We will face another hurdle when college approaches regarding the menactra (meningitis vaccine) shot. Apparently if people with autoimmune issues are given synthetic immunizations, there is no risk, however live virus’s DO pose a risk. It is a very difficult personal decision, one that I am not looking forward to making.
      Even if it is mandatory, you do have the right to refuse your child any vaccine either because of religious reasons or medical reasons. It will just take a properly worded letter from your doctor. Good luck to you.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• August 20, 2008 at 12:09 pm

I do not agree with mandatory vaccinations. Personal reasons I wont go into here. Most vaccinations are made with things ya dont even want to know about, let alone have floating around in your body. But, those are different reasons for feeling strongly about my kids getting them ever again.

Since I know so much more than I did when they were young, my daughter will not get the guardasil shot, no one in the family will get a flu shot, and the meningitis shot also says that it carries a chance of getting GBS. Too much of a risk for me to put my kids thru. Family history of auto immune problems…their bio dad had ulceratvie colitis, me GBS, other relatives have had other problems….so I wont take the chance. If it was mandatory, I would fight it tooth and nail. Most schools run on money, they want chairs filled daily so they get their max check. If kids get sick with colds or flu, they dont get paid anymore for empty chairs. They say it is in the interest of our children getting the best education possible, that kids who miss even a day of instruction miss too much and fall behind. The schools we used to attend were like that. So, what better way to ‘guarantee’ kids attend daily and money is rolling in than to insist on a shot that is supposed to keep them healthy. But we all know that the shot is not for that years strain, and it is no guarantee ya wont get sick anyhow, and it carries its own risks just by taking it.

Hand washing, germ x, eating healthy, staying active. Sounds like a much better idea. I know that Airborne products are effective, they are a bit much for such a small amount of product, but the main ingredient is called arabinogalactan. You can find it at health food stores, or online. It is a great immune booster. I took it when I first got sick and for a while after I was recovering. I plan on having everyone take it this year as well to avoid any bugs once they start school. It’s safe for kids.

Wow, sorry to ramble. I’ll step off my soapbox now…..

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2008 at 1:47 pm

Thanks for the quick and informative replies. After, my posting I did see the other one noted above about TX case. I appreciate the feedback and plan. I too am concerned about the Menactra and Gardasil vaccines in the future as I also have children in elementary school. It gives me the ‘willies’ when I’m up late at night and hear the phrase “Guillain Barre Syndrome” coming from my TV, almost like they are talking right to me.

I think we will go the route of a medical request for denial. In addition to my uncle, my grandfather died from “pernicious anemia” which has symptoms eerily like GBS and my brother has IgA nephropathy – too much protein in the urine. What’s the test for GBS, but a check for protein in the CSF.

Thanks again……………….Mike

• Anonymous
      August 20, 2008 at 3:30 pm

Hi Mike.
      I got GBS from a flu shot in 2006. I also was told by my doctor that any immune shot useing eggs are dangerous. (tetnis, neumonia,etc )If you read the warning sheet on the flu shot you will see GBS listed. Also the shot for this year is only good for last years flu. I tell as many as I can about the flu shot. I would never allow my child to have a flu shot. (Steve)