News Announcement needs our attention

• Anonymous
      June 30, 2010 at 8:10 pm

The following is an announcement on the NEWS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS forum, put there by our Administrators.
      It deserves a lot more attention then it has been getting over there.

Seven Medical Facilities Designated “Centers of Excellence”
      Seven Medical Facilities Designated “Centers of Excellence” for the diagnosis and management of inflammatory neuropathy by the GBS/CIDP Foundation International

(Narberth, PA.) The GBS/CIDP Foundation International today announced the designation of seven initial “Centers of Excellence” for the diagnosis and treatment of Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) and Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy (CIDP) and variants.

The centers will form a network of healthcare facilities to provide expert diagnosis and management of inflammatory neuropathies for patients who are unable to consult with medical experts in the field in their own communities.

“This is the first round of designations,” said Patricia A. Bryant, executive director of the foundation. “We will be accepting and evaluating applications from other interested institutions in the future in our efforts to better serve patients with these debilitating diseases,” she said.

The designated facilities are:

Heinrich-Heine University Department of Neurology, Germany
      Phoenix Neurological Associates/Banner Good Samaritan Medical Center, Arizona
      St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center, Massachusetts
      The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Maryland
      University of Kansas Medical Center, Kansas
      University of Texas Health Science Center, Texas
      Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit Medical Center, Michigan

http://www.gbs-cidp.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6629%5B/COLOR%5D

• Anonymous
      July 1, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Saw this Alma. The closest one to us is 2,000 miles or so away. Maybe not quite that far, but far. Ever take a truly handicapped person out anywhere? The world only looks like it’s handicap friendly, can’t imagine what it was even like before all the ADA stuff went in. I can’t even park at a handicap curb, it must be a parking spot with an extra wide berth on the passenger side for the wheelchair and transfer board. I’m the caregiver it’s harder on me than the patient.

But, will look forward to possibly some place further out west. LA area in incredibly lacking in top notch medical care, unless one is addicted or has cancer.

• Anonymous
      July 14, 2010 at 11:45 pm

what about canada?

• Anonymous
      July 14, 2010 at 11:47 pm

what about Canada?

• Anonymous
      July 15, 2010 at 12:25 pm

I am so glad we are getting groups of hospitals to work on this. I am really glad that one is baiscly in my backyard. My husband has has CIDP since 2003 he goes over to the North Tx site for the VA anyway, I can’t wait to get him over there. Right now he can’t walk at all he is having a bad bout with gout.
      TX CARDINAL ie: Karen Meissner