Newbie/confused/frustrated/lost

• Anonymous
      June 16, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Hello all,

My name is Jeremy and I am so glad I found this page, it is very difficult to talk to someone who has no idea what you are going through. To give you some background I was a work addict, 16 hours a day 8 days a week. I worked in the emergency services field. August of 2007 all the stres and anxiety caught up with me and I had a mini stroke or tia at the age of 35. Spent a week in the hospital and came home to all these new experiences, my feet were on fire and every once in a while it felt like someone was driving railroad spikes through my feet. I was dizzy all the time and had a problem with falling, even lost my periferal vision in one eye. Saw countless doctors who just threw drugs at it but had no idea what it was. Finally, God shoved me down a few steps I hit my head on something and my wife found me when she got home. I has been unconscious for about two hours, and of course she made me go to the hospital. The ER thought I had a heartattack which I knew I didnt but what does the patient know. Every cardiac test known to man and I found out I had hypothyroidism and my triclyerides were high. But by the act of God I met a new doctor, a yong nueor and she thought she could help me. I have been seeing her since and at least the drugs she throws at seem to help. I just had a second EMG which showed more weakness in the legs, I had a spinal tap the other day just waiting for results. She knows its CIDP but says the treatment is harsh and aggressive so she wants to be sure. I walk with a cane and when I have a really bad day I have a walker, I refuse to get in the chair someone got for me, figure I will crawl were I got to go over that. I also have PTSD diagnosed after a 16 hour tour at the world trade center, severe depression and anxiety, high blood pressure, and migraine headaches. Also, in this time period was unable to perform my job and lost house, truck, savings, basically everything, talk about God giving you a wake up call.

I have a loving wife I have been with for 12 wonderful years, she does an amazing job taking care of me and everything else. I have two children a son 12 and a daughter 9, the best behaved most well mannered children you could want to meet. However they are always concerned that daddy is goig to dye. The rest of my family is a good support system, they just dont understand completely.

Any info you guys could give me would be aprreciated, my doc wont give anything ahead of time that might be a guess. What are these treatments like, she has mentioned the ivig thing but I havent a clue. What can I expect from my body, am I going to have to swallow my pride and get into that chair eventually? Is this a death sentence so to speak and when do you know to start planning for it? I can go about 15 minutes of physical activity and then have to rest and if I just keep going I pay for it the next day or two,will this get worse or stay the same? So many questios my brain hurts trying to think of them, left over from the stroke I have short term memory loss and a tic in my face. Any insight or help you could give would be great. I have only heard of one person in my area that has cidp and he is on 6, I pray for him all the time. I am from Carneys point, Salem County, NJ.

Thanks again and may God Bless each of you as he does me everyday.

aliveandblessed

• Anonymous
      June 17, 2010 at 7:56 am

[SIZE=”2″][COLOR=”Teal”]Good morning.
      I have you in my prayers and thoughts. I had GBS over 2 yrs ago and was blessed as had a light dose.I will say you will not be doomed as you say to the chair.
      You are blessed that a doctor was sent to you who knows what you have and how to treat it.I got 5 IVIGs over 5 days and it for me and so many starts the healing process.I got a bottle every evening and it took approx 4 hrs.
      I went from a wheel chair to a walker to a cane to walking in 4 months.
      I retired from the medical field and know you need to do something about your health other than CIDP.
      There will be other great people writeing you and we feel we do know more than most doctors with our disease at times.
      You have been blessed and you have a loveing support group and people who cares and now God has given you another go at life and liveing as you did will not get it this time.You will walk again and heal alot. BUT keep liveing as you were you will be in pain and see yourself going down fast. DO and LISTEN to your angel doctor and do not think you know best. You now are the PATIENT. GIVE THANKS AND THINK POSTIVE I have you in my prayers and thoughts and may Gods blessings and healing touch be with you,
      Your friend (Lakoda)[/COLOR][/SIZE]

• Anonymous
      June 17, 2010 at 10:36 am

Hi Jeremy –

My 8 year old daughter has CIDP & it is absolutely NOT a death sentence. She’s starting her 3rd summer of playing softball.

IVIG is made up of plasma donations…meaning you are getting antibodies from donors. Some people have reactions to it but there are ways to ward those off by pre-medicating with Tylenol or Motrin AND Benadryl. Some dr’s prescribe a small dose of steroids beforehand too.

Have you had an MRI of your spine & brain?

Good luck & if it turns out you do have CIDP just know that you CAN get better. Most people improve dramatically after they start treatments. You might not ever be “normal” again but you will be able to do more than 15 minutes of activity!

Kelly

• Anonymous
      June 17, 2010 at 11:30 am

Welcome to your GBS/CIDP family. My heart & prayers go out to you. I am praying for you & so are all the rest. Yes it is amazing how great God is & how he works in our lives. It’s good that you have found a good neuro doc already. I understand about a lot of Drs. looking at you & not knowing what to do, also a lot of physical demise. Read all about Stem Cell Transplant. You are young & strong, Go for it if you can YESTERDAY! Read everything you can about GBS/CIDP. Ask as many questions as you can.
      Love, smitty

• Anonymous
      June 17, 2010 at 1:36 pm

When the doctor said “it’s CIDP but says the treatment is harsh and aggressive so she wants to be sure”, what she is probably saying is that she needs proof to show the insurance company so she can treat you. The IVIg isn’t really that “harsh”. Yes, there can be some side effects, but if you are pre-hydrated and pre-medicated they are usually tolerable. The treatment does take some time [4-6 hours].

CIDP will slow you down, hopefully only for a while. In the meantime don’t push it. If you continue to try push yourself you can do more harm than good. Right now you need rest. With proper treatment you might be back to where you were. I said might because CIDP seems to affect each of us differently. Having said that, the one thing we all share is the need to rest while the nerves are in the process of recovering.

Keep your sense of humor. As you said, you are blessed in so many ways.

• June 17, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Hi Alive & Blessed ;

I echo the comments of the others on the forum. You are fortunate in that you found a neuro who recognized your condition.
      My husband is now 5 moths into this and has had no treatment in Canada yet. He did get 5 days loading does in NYC .We found a wonderful Neuro there but the cost was all out of pocket.

As for families- can anyone provide a reference for literature we can give to our families? None of them understand the disease and think that he should be doing more in order to get better. They don’t understand it is not like other illnesses…

Thanks and hang in there Alive & Blessed.

Kathy

• Anonymous
      June 17, 2010 at 9:30 pm

I did have MRIs with and without contrast, intially mt dr was thinking MS by thankfully I dodged that bullet. I am in the process of scheduling a whole new round of MRIs that the doc ordered along with hip xray.

The only thing the first round told us was I have a small tumor in my pineal gland, nothing to worry about but that may be why I need a narcotic to go to sleep. That gland controls melatonin which is your bodies natural time to sleep med. Also there is a vertabrae in my neck that is crushed and looked like it was actually squeezing the cord. I went to the Rothman institute and a few docs looked at it and said for the time being it was okay but keep an eye on it.

I am not one to complain and I have a pretty high pain tolerance I am at a loss to describ this condition. But the other day I had a painful electrical feeling coming from my lower back and into my hip and then shooting down my thigh and ended at my foot which I thought was going to explode. Every little step or standing would trigger it, so I sat in a chair. But called the dr and wanted an appt as soon as possible which she is not used to with me. She wasnt sure what was causing it but my nuero exam changed from the last one so MRI time. God only knows what it is for right now. Luckily it went away and has not return but left pain in the hip. So we wait, used to that game, like tic tac toe it gets old fast.

But again thank you all for a warm welcome, your thoughts and prayers, and the information you left me. It is being looked at and studied and looked up and I will have a nice list when I go back to the doc. Thanks

• June 17, 2010 at 9:48 pm

Well met Alive&Blessed and welcome.

There are several treatments for CIDP. Don’t be discouraged if your spinal tap doesn’t come back definitive. CIDP is hard to diagnose. I do hope you get an diagnosis soon that your neuro can pin down so you can get started on treatments. The sooner the better.

Keep the positive attitude. Rely upon our God (He’s big enough). Thank Him for your family.

Know that we’re praying for you.

Gary

• Anonymous
      July 17, 2010 at 1:50 pm

You have not posted lately, how are you doing? What’s happening with you? Update if you can.
      Love, smitty

• Anonymous
      July 17, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Hi Everyone….I am new to this forum, and have been diagnosed with CIDP in April 2010. I have had two IVIG treatments, the first one helped a little, the violent tremors in my hands subsided, temporarily. My second treatment produced no improvement at all. I developed foot drop at the onset, and now have to wear a brace. My neurologist feels that physical therapy is my only alternate treatment until my nerves and muscles start responding, and perhaps then the IVIG will have a better outcome. I have recently relapsed, and now I feel that I have no options but to live like this. I have a great pain Mgmt. dr. who is helping me with the pain, which is so severe, I feel like it would be a blessing if I just wouldn’t wake up. At times I am so frightened, I cannot believe that this has happened to me….how did it happen? Again, like the rest of you, no answers. I am so relieved to have found all of you, trying to explain symptoms to someone that doessnt have the disease is difficult. I hope my neurologist will suggest another treatment plan, so many of you did not respond to the IVIG, and you were able to find alternate treatments. I need advise, and information, if you can help. So nice to have met all of you, and hopefully I can stop spending 18 hours in bed, and start enjoying my life a little. I’m not asking for a lot, just a little better quality of life than I have. I would LOVE to take my dogs on a walk again! That is my long term goal, and I try to exercise, but am so weak it is difficult. Do any of you have such extreme muscle loss? Have you been able to rebuild your muscles?
      Thanks for listening!
      Carol
      CIDP April 2010

• Anonymous
      July 17, 2010 at 2:18 pm

Hi Everyone….I am new to this forum, and have been diagnosed with CIDP in April 2010. I have had two IVIG treatments, the first one helped a little, the violent tremors in my hands subsided, temporarily. My second treatment produced no improvement at all. I developed foot drop at the onset, and now have to wear a brace. My neurologist feels that physical therapy is my only alternate treatment until my nerves and muscles start responding, and perhaps then the IVIG will have a better outcome. I have recently relapsed, and now I feel that I have no options but to live like this. I have a great pain Mgmt. dr. who is helping me with the pain, which is so severe, I feel like it would be a blessing if I just wouldn’t wake up. At times I am so frightened, I cannot believe that this has happened to me….how did it happen? Again, like the rest of you, no answers. I am so relieved to have found all of you, trying to explain symptoms to someone that doessnt have the disease is difficult. I hope my neurologist will suggest another treatment plan, so many of you did not respond to the IVIG, and you were able to find alternate treatments. I need advise, and information, if you can help. So nice to have met all of you, and hopefully I can stop spending 18 hours in bed, and start enjoying my life a little. I’m not asking for a lot, just a little better quality of life than I have. I would LOVE to take my dogs on a walk again! That is my long term goal, and I try to exercise, but am so weak it is difficult. Do any of you have such extreme muscle loss? Have you been able to rebuild your muscles?
      Thanks for listening!
      Carol

• Anonymous
      July 18, 2010 at 2:28 pm

IVIG usually you receive a loading dose of 5 IVIGs in 5 days then one every 3-4 weeks. The life of IVIG is about 21 days. Your neuro doc really need to step up the treatments. Just my oppinion. Ask around & seek a pro.
      Love, smitty