New member….recent bout with GBS

• Anonymous
      April 28, 2008 at 7:21 pm

My exposure to GBS began this past March 19.
      I am a truck driver. I was about done with my 12 hour shift. I went to get out of the cab and when my feet hit the pavement it felt as if my legs were asleep.
      I was extremely alarmed as I had never had anything like this happen to me before. I went home and my legs stayed numb, very difficult to walk.
      I became very ill during the night. My tree pollen allergies had kicked in big time, and my head was blocked, ears ringing, felt like the flu was coming on.
      I went to the doctor who took my temp and I had no fever. He told me I probably had a viral infection and it had to run it’s course. He said my legs probably felt weird from the dizzyness I was having. I was extremely weak and felt like I was going to die. I went home and went to bed.
      Over the next week I treated it as if I had a bug, but deep down I knew this was more serious. Over the next week the bug cleared up, but my legs stayed numb. Still very difficult to walk. By end of week 2 my hands and arms were also numb. They were tingling and just felt really weird. I could not pick up small items as my fingers refused to do what I wanted them to do. Then a few days later my mouth and face began to feel wierd. Tingling and the same weird sensation. No one seemed to notice the difficulty I was having pronouncing certain words and letters. I had to slow everything way down.
      During week 4 my legs slightly improved. Arms, hands and face stayed the same. Last week I noticed some improvement in my hands and arms. I am having less trouble signing my name.
      It appears that some feeling is now starting to return to legs, arms, hands and face.
      I still can’t run, but my walking stride has improved a bit. It’s a very slow progress. Last week my doctor confirmed I have GBS.
      I am very lucky that my symptoms began to reverse in week 4 and I am making a very slow improvement.
      My wife says I am walking better. My legs are still numb, but better with each passing week.
      The fatigue is overwhelming. My doctor says it will likely be months before I feel normal, and there may be long term residuals.
      I am back to work, but I tire very easily. I have to take it easy. I sleep alot on weekends.
      I hope I never have this again.
      I consider myself so very lucky to have had a relatively mild case of GBS.
      I’m glad I found this website. It helps to know I’m not alone, but I do wish all of you success in your treatments.
      Is there anything I can do to help speed my recovery? B Vitamins?

Thanks again for being here. It really helps.

Len in NC

• Anonymous
      April 28, 2008 at 11:26 pm

Hi Len, so glad you joined us!

Rest and time are the things to take for GBS 🙂 . Seriously though, it is good to hear that you are doing quite well, just conserve your energy and sleep when your body tells you when to do so, which is what you seem to be doing. As your doc said – and he hit the nail on the head – there may be long term residuals, and one of the most common is fatigue. Im sure you have read that it can be counterproductive to push yourself hard as it could cause a set back.

Please come back and ask questions or give us your input.

• Anonymous
      April 29, 2008 at 7:59 am

Good morning Len.
      You were not luckey you were blessed with a mild case of GBS. I as you was also blessed.Mine was from a flu shot and many get GBS from this shot and other imune shots.
      Be willing to slow down as your recovery will be slow in some areas.I read you are a truck driver and this alone can wear you out. do your 10hrs and then give your body the 8 hrs it will need. I admire all truck drivers and it turns my stomach how our goverment is allowing special groups includeing them to get rich off others.You will find a special family here and also that we know more about our problem than 60 % of the doctors.
      You are in my prayers and may Gods blessings be with you (Steve)