New facial numbness

• Anonymous
      September 24, 2008 at 9:27 pm

Hi. Has anyone ever developed new facial numbness post GBS? I was diagnosed with GBS July 2007, had IVIG treatments at that time. Recently, have noticed eye lid drooping over my right eye and saw my neurologist last Tuesday. He seemed to think it was age related (I’m 53). Now I’m experiencing some numbness on my temple and scalp on the left side…The left side of my face was affected during GBS episode last summer.

Anyone ever had this type of problem pop up later? I’d really appreciate any input. Thanks, Paula

• Anonymous
      September 24, 2008 at 10:38 pm

Hi Paula, I have/had the Miller Fisher variant of GBS which started with my left eyelid drooping and the tingling in my hands and got worse from there. My left side was affected worse than the right but was weak all over. I am a year out and I have developed a twitch in my right eye, not all the time but enough to be a bother when it starts. It’s on my list to mention to my neuro in November. I don’t understand why your doc thinks it’s age related??? Hugs to ya!

• Anonymous
      September 25, 2008 at 12:23 am

Hi Smiley, I haven’t read up on the Miller Fisher variant yet…one of those “to do” lists. I’ve had the eye twitches in the past and they drive you crazy. Out of blue, your eye starts twitching and it’s really hard to get it to stop! This numbness thing is about as bad…just noticed it a couple of days ago and it comes and goes. Guess I’ll have to make another appointment and get him to check on it further.

Just happened to remember, someone told me that eye twitching can be related to dry eyes and OTC drops are supposed to help. I haven’t had much luck with that remedy though…Sorry!

Thanks for your help.
      Paula

• Anonymous
      September 25, 2008 at 9:39 am

Morning Paula, I was first seen at the eye clinic after going to the hospital. I was seen by an Ophthalmologist then he brought in a Neurology Ophthalmologist who said she thought it was GBS right away but the Miller Fisher variant.
      I’ve also seen the eye drop suggestion on the forum. But along with my twitching eye comes a watery eye so I don’t think eye drops would work?
      I hope you can get some answers (doc appt) soon. Let us know how you make out. Take care!

• September 25, 2008 at 10:18 am

My forehead and right side of my face is still numb. I was hit in July of 06. I can make faces and nothing is drooping, but it still has that “skin is too dry” tightness/numb feeling. My face was the last thing affected so I guess it will be the last thing to recover if it ever does.

• September 25, 2008 at 4:24 pm

I still have some numbness in my scalp, varying in intensity from barely noticable to maddening. It sometimes spreads down to my face and neck.

There was another thread discussing “sensory GBS”. I’m not sure I fall into that catagory, but the title sure seems to match my symptoms. I’m still cold-sensitive (never was before), and my skin still feels like it’s sunburned, or like I have a fever.