New Design -Hard to Read

• July 29, 2017 at 12:05 pm

I am having a horrible time trying to read the forum after the redesign. The font is too light and thin for me to read it with my bad vision.

Is it just me or is anyone else having a problem?

• GH
      July 29, 2017 at 2:25 pm

Lots of sites have low contrast. I don’t like it, either.

• July 29, 2017 at 5:25 pm

The new softer look and feel is quite hard on the eyes. The forum design should have a higher contrast because forum members are entering helpful information that should be easy to read by others. But the fonts are probably controlled by the overall site theme, which I suspect is a WordPress theme.

Popular sites such as Amazon and Ebay use high contrast fonts. If they didn’t, traffic could be affected negatively.

Looking at the rest of the GBS-CIDP site, it seems the forums have a smaller font now. One way around the readability problem is to increase the font sizes in the forums.

• July 29, 2017 at 5:32 pm

Another new problem with the site is its certificate:

“This server could not prove that it is forums.gbs-cidp.org; its security certificate is from *.wpengine.com. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection.”

“Proceed to forums.gbs-cidp.org (unsafe)”

This new problem will cause some forum visitors to stay away.

• July 30, 2017 at 12:35 am

I am not seeing the certificate warning.

However, I agree this latest web trend of softer contrast is not a good one. Smaller font and gray on gray or gray on white…no thanks. What was wrong with old school black on white. Especially if Im trying to read on my phone or tablet.

Oh, and I only get one line at a time in the message box to reply or edit a post

• July 30, 2017 at 5:52 pm

Another very annoying thing is the extra spacing between sentences. It makes the sentence appear to be a paragraph. To read a post now, one must scroll down because most posts no longer fit the page, especially on a smart phone.

Another inconvenience is the tool bar. It is now too small to understand without a magnifying glass, or one must hover over each icon to learn what it does. This seems to defeat the purpose of having easily recognizable icons in the first place.

• GH
      July 30, 2017 at 9:15 pm

And a frequent source of annoyance is spam.

• August 6, 2017 at 8:18 pm

Thank you for the feedback, suggestions, and reports of issues. Over the next few weeks, the web team will be working to make adjustments for readability. We have been unable to replicate any SSL certificate warnings, even in Firefox. Please try clearing your browser cache, and if anyone has any further information on this issue, please feel free to report it. You may also use the contact form located at https://forum.gbs-cidp.org/contact-us/. Any spam that is slipping through can also be reported via the contact form.

Again, thank you for your collaboration. Our goal is to continue to improve these forums.
      Best,
      Mia

• August 21, 2017 at 7:11 pm

I hope there are some more style improvements on the way for the forum. I find the new style to be difficult to use and have stayed away holding out for a larger and darker font to improve readability. I had to increase the zoom level in my browser to read this forum, but that throws off all my other sites making them poorly viewed.

This forum has become too hard on my eyes since the change. There was nothing wrong with the previous forum style and I think the old adage ‘if it ain’t broke don’t fix it’ applies here. A good Arial, Georgia, or Times Roman 12 or 14 point font should bring back readability if the color is not washed out (light grey is the worst).

More info about what makes webpages more readable can be found here:

Optimal Font Size for Web Pages (CHI 2016)

Please restore more readability soon.

Thanks

Tagged: