Neurontin dose

• Anonymous
      April 17, 2007 at 11:35 am

Good morning, been taking 2400 mgs a day for 5 months neuro dr. thought it was a little high started 1800 mgs a day for the past week, been getting more zaps zings and pain? Easy answer go back to 2400 just seems like such a small change would make a difference. I keep thinking its all in my mind……gg

• Anonymous
      April 17, 2007 at 11:36 am

I was not able to continue wit nuerotin. So Good luck and talk to your doc.

• Anonymous
      April 17, 2007 at 1:45 pm

Hi Gene,

My husband was taking 3600 mgs a day and some people go higher in their dosages. The Drs are always afraid to up the dosages and I can’t for the love of me understand why they feel that way. If a higher dose takes away the pain, then the Drs should continue with the higher doses as long as the patient does okay with it and doesn’t get any side affects.

• Anonymous
      April 17, 2007 at 3:09 pm

GG, if you had good relief from 2400 then tell your dr to up the dose to 2400 again, don’t hesitate, pain relief is important! Take care.

• Anonymous
      April 17, 2007 at 9:26 pm

theoretical limit of neurontin is 3600 mg/day, but empirical evidence says 5600 mg/day. there are a reasonable number of gbsers who did not get sufficient relief till they went over the 5000 mark. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      April 17, 2007 at 10:01 pm

I only began neurontin recently and was able to cut another med by ½. I’ve been taking 900mg/day. That helped, but I’m starting today to take 1200mg/day, and we’ll consider the results in two weeks. My only GBS pain is in my feet.

• Anonymous
      April 17, 2007 at 11:06 pm

Gene I was on 1800mg for the pain from my nerve biopsy. Nothing compared to what you are going through. Tell your DR how 2400 mg is OK and that some people here take more then 2400 mg.

Sue

• Anonymous
      April 19, 2007 at 12:27 pm

I am on 3600mg of Neurontin a day. I also take Baclofen 30mg a day to help with the muscle spasms I get. Both of them affect the body in that a “side effect” of Neurontin helps with muscle spasms and they both can make you drowsey. I found for me anyways to manage the pain and spasms the dosage above was a good balance. But then again my neuro tells me that a lot of people cant handle that high of a dosage of Neurontin and also take baclofen, but then again there are those that may take higher of one or the other (or both). To find my proper dosage I got my pain at a manageable level which was the 3600mg. I am by no means pain free but comparably I am MUCH better and I would definatly call it managed now. Then I started on the baclofen until I got to a dosage that helped with additional pain and spasms. One thing I didnt realize is that the spasms were cause a tremendous amount of joint pain. The baclofen when it started to help with the spasms, I notice the pain in my joints drastically reduced, neurontin didnt help with the joint pain.

Also, to those reading here… spasms arent the twitching felt all over the body similar to how people get under their eye. Spasms are when your body, often times a limb just starts to move on its own.

• Anonymous
      April 19, 2007 at 12:49 pm

Thanks for all your replys, im back on 2400mgs a day, and feeling much better. Great form with lots of wonderful helpful and brave people. gg

• Anonymous
      April 19, 2007 at 5:51 pm

Glad Gene you are feeling better. 🙂
      I found a great article on Spasm.
      [url]http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-a-muscle-spasm.htm[/url]

Sue