neuromas

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2007 at 2:07 pm

I went to a surgeon today b/c I’ve been having pain in my lower belly. I thought it was an ovarian cyst. While I do have ovarian cysts, this is something completely different. It’s near the end of my c-section scar and he called it a neuroma. I have to have it removed when time allows.

Anyone had such a thing ?

thanks,

Stacey

• Anonymous
      August 28, 2007 at 2:26 pm

Hi, Stacey.

Don’t you love it when doctors use terms that sound menacing and then don’t bother to explain what they mean!

A neuroma, according to the British Medical Association’s [I]Family Health Encyclopaedia[/I] is ‘a benign tumour of nerve tissue’. I think the important word here, particularly since your doctor says it needs to be removed ‘as time permits’, is benign–it’s not cancer.

Regarding this being in your abdomen, ‘Various lesions can cause acute or chronic pain in the abdominal wall. Localized tenderness often occurs in surgical scars several months after surgery because of the formation of neuromas’ ([url]http://www.aafp.org/afp/20010801/431.html)[/url].

Keep fighting–and save a couple of smacks for the doctor who didn’t bother to explain.

Deb

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2007 at 7:21 am

do you think I should tell the neuro that I’m going to have outpatient surgery ?

• Anonymous
      August 29, 2007 at 11:33 am

I tend to keep my doctors aware of what my other doctors are doing just as a matter of principle (whether they want to be kept apprised or not). That’s particularly true of my neuro, since she is, in essence, my primary care physician (I see her every six months or more often; I see my GP about every eighteen months). I figure it won’t hurt to keep my neuro informed, and who knows, it might even help–it’s proven beneficial of late as I’ve also been diagnosed by a pulmonologist with sarcoidosis.

And I’m on a first-name basis with my neuro’s and pulmo’s secretaries; they can sometimes be more helpful (and certainly easier to get in touch with) than the doctors. :rolleyes:

Deb

• Anonymous
      August 30, 2007 at 12:18 pm

I think this can be done thru a scope…and I want to do it on a Friday. He said probably a week off work, but I’ll plan to go back Mon or Tues and not even tell work I’m doing this. I do accounting…I sit at a computer and no lifting or anything so what’s the difference.

It’s just a matter of scheduling . My lil mans bday is the 10th…I work full time…he goes to preschool and I leave work every day at lunch to get him from day care and take him to preschool and then pick him up afterwards..then head to my moms to take care of her till bedtime. My hubby comes to get my son when he gets off work and they eat with us or go home.

I just need to schedule it and hope someone else will step up to take care of my mom for a bit.

calgon, take me away. If I had wings, I’d fly far far away from here.

Stacey

• Anonymous
      August 30, 2007 at 3:42 pm

Hiya, Stacey.

I would urge caution regarding work, etc. I had a lymph node biopsy on a Monday in late March. I was out of hospital on Tuesday and back at work–a very sedentary job behind a computer–on Wednesday. Owing to family problems, I was on an airplane the next Wednesday, flying from London to Orlando. For the following ten days, despite having to deal with the stress of the family problems I felt as if I was improving physically day by day. Family problems solved, by a week Friday I was back home in London. And I’ve been going downhill ever since.

How much of what I’ve gone through the past few months is only physical and how much is a combination of the mind and body, I have no idea. But just be aware that, with CIDP or any such disorder, overworking your body is one of the worst things you can do. Especially when you’re having unusual or traumatic things done, you need to pamper yourself, take it easy, instead of pushing.

You know your body. Listen to it and obey it. You have a chronic neurological disorder; you have the right to rest.

Best wishes,

Deb
      London