Nervous System Question

• Anonymous
      December 26, 2007 at 11:19 am

Okay, here’s a new question that I need to find out an answer to, and of course I forgot to ask Ben’s doctor about it at our last appointment. I need to try to remember to find out when we see him again next month.

Ben went to his pain management doctor a couple weeks ago for three injections in the neck due to nerve damage from GBS. He was put under general anesthesia, but his blood pressure plummeted, he woke up during the first injection, and they were unable to give him more drugs to knock him back out because of the blood pressure dropping to 80/60. So, basically, he was awake during the procedure, and I could hear him screaming from the waiting room. I know enough to realize that his blood pressure most likely dropped due to some axonal damage to his parasympathetic nervous system, but that’s about the extent of my knowledge. Can anyone explain to me why Ben’s nervous system may still be messed up three years after GBS, and if this is something that will occur whenever he needs to go under general anesthesia, or just give me a better understanding of how these things work?

Thanks!

Shannon

• December 26, 2007 at 3:43 pm

sorry to hear about having to endure such an awful experience!

I am not sure about the whole blood pressure thing, but I do know after my surgery I had problems with my blood pressure as well. It dropped to such a low that I was very close to coma/death and scared the tar out of every one in the recovery area. We had a hard time stablizing it and they were thinking I would be admitted for observation. Fortunately after several hours I was okay enough to go home with strict instructions that if I felt faint or wierd that I was to hea dback in or call 911. It is definitely something I will bring up if I have to ever have general anesthesia again! I look forward to the answers people post about this.

• Anonymous
      December 26, 2007 at 7:13 pm

Hi Shannon,
      Sorry Ben is having so much trouble. I know low blood pressure is a major concern for all of us but like you I don’t know enough about these things. Just hang in there and hopefully someone will be able to answer your question. Tell Ben hello and hugs and kisses to both of you. Hope you had a Merry Christmas.

Sherry

• Anonymous
      December 27, 2007 at 7:02 am

shannon,

‘Can anyone explain to me why Ben’s nervous system may still be messed up three years after GBS, and if this is something that will occur whenever he needs to go under general anesthesia, or just give me a better understanding of how these things work?’

recovered gbs nerves are not like normal nerves. he could still be recovering & this may go away in the future.

gene

• Anonymous
      December 28, 2007 at 12:05 pm

Thanks for your responses, everyone! Ben has another injection scheduled in a couple of weeks and is intending on going under general anesthesia again. I’m going to contact his neurologist and find out if that’s a wise thing to do. FOM, your story scares the beegeezus out of me. You’ve really been through a lot!

Shannon

• Anonymous
      January 9, 2008 at 12:13 pm

Dear Shannon,

Immune-mediated inflammatory neurological disorders are characterized by demyelination, axonal damage and the occurrence of soluble anti-excitatory factors in serum or cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). A combination of these three pathological changes may be the cause of impaired axonal impulse conduction and neurological symptoms. Our evidence of a sodium-channel-blocking factor [i.e. Lidocaine] is based on the investigation of CSF from many patients with multiple sclerosis (MS), Guillain-Barré syndrome (GBS) and chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyneuropathy (CIDP).

See [url]http://www.nature.com/nm/journal/v6/n7/full/nm0700_808.html[/url]

You should print the article and give it to your neurologist.

Best regards.

Jethro

• Anonymous
      January 11, 2008 at 2:47 pm

I never knew that blood pressure problems could be a result of GBS but now what happened to Nate in September makes sense.
      He got a really bad kidney infection and his blood pressure went down to 70/40 in the ER. They had a really hard time getting it back up.
      Then it went up too high. They had to give him drugs to get it down to normal.
      It didn’t stabilize until 5 days later.
      Trudy, Natesmom

• Anonymous
      January 15, 2008 at 7:34 pm

Jethro,

I looked at the article you mentioned (looked is a better description than read, since I understood so little of what was written).

Could you please translate the medical jargon, if possible. I’m interested in the subject, but the article is way beyond my ability to comprehend.

Thanks,

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      January 17, 2008 at 10:48 pm

It could be many factors at work. Honestly, I doubt his GBS condition is at fault post 3 years based upon your comments.

What medications is he taking? Has he shown any issues related to his heart since the GBS onset? Does he have low blood pressure? What other medical conditions does he have? Perhaps he had a reaction to the drug related to allergic response? How about an alternate anesthesia?

:confused:

• Anonymous
      January 18, 2008 at 9:20 am

Dear Suzanne,

Please go to web link [url]http://www.bmj.com/cgi/reprint/316/7138/1103.pdf[/url] pages 3 and 4.

Also see web link: Ion Voltage Gated Channels (just type it in the address)

Best regards.

Jethro