Nerve biopsy?

• Anonymous
      July 12, 2011 at 2:33 pm

What is involved in a nerve biopsy? I going back to the Mayo Clinic after 4 years out, and wonder if this might be done.

• July 12, 2011 at 8:58 pm

I’ve heard to stay away from them if at all possible. There have been some previous posts on the subject i believe

good luck

• Anonymous
      July 13, 2011 at 1:58 pm

It depends on why you are getting the biopsy done.

I had it done it can be very painful and then that part of your leg is numb forever.

For me it proved that I had both demylation and remylation happening.

This information was used when applying for disability.

Good luck,

• Anonymous
      July 14, 2011 at 12:04 am

I did a search, but the phrase seems to be embedded in many different discussions and does not address my concerns. I would like to know why it is done and the mechanics of how it is done. Is the nerve taken from a leg? How long is the nerve segment. Does it damage anything? Is it an out-patient procedure?

• Anonymous
      July 14, 2011 at 1:54 pm

According to Yue and Han it depends-

1. Who is doing it?- as in are they really competent?

2. Who will interpret the results?- ditto #1.

3. Is it a sural (in, or near, your foot or ankle) biopsy? Then it likely is not very helpful and equally, or more likely to leave you with some long lasting, or even permanent damage.

4. I would not have a ‘definitive’ diagnosis without the special nerve biopsy I had in my upper right arm.

5. Yes, my procedure was “out-patient’. I was discharged within 24 hours, yet spent the night in a recovery room. I was required to do several things prior to discharge. Walk un-assisted for one.

6. The hours, days and weeks following could be described as miserable.

7. I have no lasting effects following the procedure which was done about 22 months ago.

And, I agree with the assessment that searching, and finding, any particular subject on this forum is difficult.

Oh, my, how is it done? Dunno, they put me to sleep! They cut you open, then find the nerve bundle. They ‘teased’ apart the fibers and removed some of them. I like to picture a big (and old fashioned) telephone cable bundle. Cut out a few, who knows….

After the fibers are removed, and properly handled they are analyzed.

My surgical scar, if I could find it still, which I cannot, was about 2.5” long. How much nerve or how many nerve fibers- a few. 17 comes to mind. Truth be known, I neither remember, nor care. Everything still works!

• Anonymous
      July 14, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Yuehan, thank you very, very much. This gives me an excellent picture of the procedure.

Nerve Biopsy

• June 12, 2010 at 2:34 am

I was at my regular check up today and my neurologist told me that nerve biopsies from the leg have been replaced by simple skin biopsies. The catch is that the finer skin nerves can only be read with a powerful and expensive microscope.

Flossie

• Anonymous
      June 12, 2010 at 10:17 am

[I]marvelous news, Flossie! Thanks for posting it.[/I] 🙂

Nerve Biopsy

• Anonymous
      October 24, 2006 at 5:10 am

Hi all

Was wondering if anyone has had a nerve biopsy, and could tell me what it was like?

Helen

• Anonymous
      October 24, 2006 at 8:08 am

Hi my 8 year old had one about a year ago. They take it from your ankle just behind the bone. They told us that he may experience a loss of feeling in a very small spot and he does. Its basically a day surgery unless there is other problems. He healed very quickly and now you can barley see any scar. Wish you luck especially if they are using it for a diagnosis.:D

Colleen

• Anonymous
      October 24, 2006 at 9:41 am

I had one at Leeds (UK) some 9 years ago. The surgeon talked me through it somewhat like a sporting running commentary. He semi-screened me so that I could not see the worst. It was not as bad as that as I had a local jab.
      No after effects.

It appeared to confirm CIDP after some mystery. After very bad side-effects from steroids it was realised that I had PDN (advert-see my web site) which is CIDP related but different.

• Anonymous
      October 24, 2006 at 11:58 am

I’m happy to hear that the procedure wasn’t a big deal for either of you. My neuro wants the biopsy to confirm his diagnosis.

• Anonymous
      October 24, 2006 at 5:08 pm

I had a nerve biopsy in June 2005 I am still in a lot of pain because of it. I wish I never had it done.

Sue

• Anonymous
      October 24, 2006 at 5:54 pm

uh oh

Sue, did you ever get a reasonable explanation for why it still hurts? Do you have other neuro pain?

• Anonymous
      October 24, 2006 at 6:05 pm

Hi Helen No I don’t have any other neuro pain. When I told my Dr about it she said oh that’s your tendon. But it was right next to the tendon that I had the biopsy done. Also I still get the nerve pain in my foot and ankle do to the biopsy. So I am not sure why it is taking so long to heal. On the outside it looks not bad. I still see the scar. But it is on the inside and standing on cement floors everyday I am sure does not help.

It did not reveal anything.

Sue

• Anonymous
      October 24, 2006 at 6:43 pm

Helen,

I have had it done twice without any problems. As with any procedure there is a chance for problems post. I was very worried before my first, it’s pretty natural. If done correctly it wasn’t that bad. Now mention a spinal tap and I curl up in a ball and want to cry 🙂

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      October 24, 2006 at 7:37 pm

ha jerimy he wants to rerun the spinal tap in a few months! My first was awful, too — ouch! Hated the whole thing, but I didn’t cry, which is about the only positive thing I can say about it. 🙂 I’m responding well to IVIG, but he wants to see what’s going on and resolve the double diagnosis if he can.

Sue, I’m truly sorry to hear that you’ve had this outcome. Your point is definitely well-taken — it is definitely not a procedure for me to take lightly. My neuro said there is about a 30% chance of finding CIDP if I have CIDP. The odds are not good! But I suspect his real intent to see what effect having CMT and CIDP together is having on my nerves.

• Anonymous
      October 24, 2006 at 8:16 pm

Best of luck Helen.
      Lucky for me I had no problem with the spinal tap except for bruise feeling I had the next day.

Sue

• Anonymous
      October 25, 2006 at 10:39 pm

Question ~ why is a nerve biopsy done? It can only tell you the state of that particular nerve. And we do know that not all nerves of the body are affected equally. What if the nerve they take wasn’t an affected one and now you have pain where there wasn’t before? Thanks for any answers.

• Anonymous
      October 25, 2006 at 11:45 pm

Good luck with that Helen, you will be in my thoughts.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      November 13, 2006 at 4:26 pm

and I survived. heh. Now all I have to survive crutches for 48 hours without breaking my neck. The whole procedure was… interesting! The only painful part was when they cut the nerve — yowwi! Its a good thing I didn’t know about this part until seconds before they did it. Other than that, the local they used was a little uncomfortable but manageable, and I did get a few zingers here and there. Bottom line, no big deal!

• Anonymous
      November 13, 2006 at 6:15 pm

Glad it went well and is over now Helen.

Jerimy