need some mental help…

• Anonymous
      July 17, 2010 at 1:31 am

hears the deal, i was a healthy happy rugby player before i got sick im 6’7 and weighed 135 pounds, very athletic build. when i got sick i lost about 40- 45 pounds. iv finaly found a new med and it is finaly allowing me to gain weight. so now that iv staryed to gain weight (im thrilled) ad i wanna , im just worried its gona go all to my tummy, or like i alredy have abit of a belly, but i know i dont cause im a 0 …..its hard to explain,,, i wanna make sure it goes like my legs amd stuff i feel like i already look award and gangly and stuff
      im not worried about getting fat
      just iv been so skinny and bony fr 4 years i convinced myself it looked okie and stuff cause i mental had to or i would have been so upset for 4 years
      but now that its comming bak,…….. i forget how my body is supposed to look, so im struggling to feel comfortable.. i know im not FAT i cant be fat in a size 00- 1-2-3-4 lol thats not the isue… i just need help or advice i dunno…. anyone?:confused: :confused:

• July 17, 2010 at 6:03 am

Fat is not necessarily stored in one area. Much as you lose fat universally you gain it back the same way. You want MUSCLE anyway so gain that back by getting lots of protein and excercise as much as you feel you can. Low-fat protein powder from the health food store could be help as I think the rule is you have to eat a gram of protein for every pound you weigh to build muscle. Be reasonable with the amount of carbs you take in and load up on fruits/veggies and high protein foods and you will be on your way. Avoid junk food but never deny yourself homemade goodies (e.g. mom’s pies).

Anyway, you look great to me!

So good to read that you are getting better, I hope it goes well! Keep in touch on the forum and have a great day!

• Anonymous
      July 19, 2010 at 2:17 pm

I lost 75 pounds after I was diagnosed with GBS. It is hard to realize what happens in the body, but we have litttle choice. As an athelete you know that you have to work out to keep fit. With GBS you have to do the same. It is a little more difficult, but it does work. I have wore an 18 shirt since I was 25. 38 years have passed and GBS has hit and with PT I still wear an 18 shirt. Difference is that I lost 7 inches in my waist. I sure feel better although my diagnoses hasn’t changed any since March 2010. I tell my God every day that he just needs to show me the way and I will follow. I would suggest the same. God Bless and hope all goes well.

• Anonymous
      July 19, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Synthia,

I lost 25 lbs and have gained about 10-15 back. The weight seems to be going back to the same places that it was before if that is what you are asking. If you need tips on gaining weight, I spoke with a nutritionist recently. She told me to drink whole milk, drinks with calories rather than water, eat nuts, foods higher in fat, eat smaller meals throughout the day,etc. Hard to believe at one point I was asking how do I gain weight after always watching my weight. Now I am starting to tip over again to where I need to start watching it…no more Ben and Jerry’s and DQ Blizzards guilt free! 🙂 You should probably do whatever kind of exercise you can. I can only do walking at this point, so I try to walk whenever I can. Swimming, yoga, would be some other good suggestions.

I guess I would just tell you not to worry about it so much. I was looking anorexic at one point and was crying about it, and now 6 months later, you would never know. It takes time……Just go with the flow and try not to worry about it so much. Therapy also can help. I tried 2 therapists before my current one and she is really helping me. She deals with chronic illnesses. Hang in there…

• Anonymous
      July 19, 2010 at 7:03 pm

I’ve got CIDP…the longer version? And yes, you just STOP eating, because the meds you are on change your tastes and it all seems bitter, dull or like it’s lived in a bucket for a week!
      At my onset? I lost over 35-40 lbs. in less than two months! I knew I HAD to eat? So, I went out when I was able and got things that I found I could eat, and that settled well. If that means a pint of Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate? Well. That’s better over all that merely toast! Eat what you can. Try fruit salads from the grocery salad bar…they’re good for fiber and are slitely but not too sweet. Nuts of all sorts are good, walnuts and almonds are more a boost nutritionally but just eat what you like!
      Yes your body is going to change! You are NOT moving and DOING what you have in the past. You can’t. You will have to build up slowly to get moving at all and longer still to anywhere near what you were ‘before’. Yes, there are ‘befores’ and ‘afters’? Don’t despair tho with ‘image’, THAT is not YOU! You are the mind and soul and spirit in the body-not the looks. Accept that YOU are soon to be simply a ‘different’ YOU.
      Learn some good PT strength building exercises [your docs should have suggested this] and start out slow… don’t expect RESULTS in two weeks or the like. You’ve gotten a big hit/insult to your body and it’s not happy rite now. Work with your body, listen to it, and keep at it to get better!
      Keep in mind? IVIG has a LOT if extra liquids in it to help you asorb it better, BUT you must be super hydrated before you even start! I know that I’d gain 5-7 lbs. from the prep and the infusion each time! I’d look like I was pregnant, and I definitely was NOT! I’d lose it after about 10 days, but it’s essential to getting it into you and working. Do NOT become a ‘scale watcher’! NOT NOW! Just work on exercising safely and properly and getting somewhat back to a new normal!
      Hugs and good things!

• Anonymous
      July 22, 2010 at 9:45 am

If you have access to a pool, try to swim a couple of times a week. It is the best exercise in the world even if you just “paddle around” since it is low impact and uses every bit of your body. It will help strengthen all your muscle groups and help keep the fat from accumulating in undesireable areas. As with any exercise Post-GBS, don’t overdo and get too tired. The most difficult thing to learn is to “listen” to your body with regard to stress and fatigue. As an athlete, you’re probably pretty attuned already so that part will be easier for you to learn.