Need Info…PLEASE

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2008 at 7:34 pm

My grandson Khane has GBS, since he was 4 months. We have been taking him to OT, so he is starting to move his arms more. The thing is now he gets mad and cries and then holds his breath until he turns blue. We were told to blow into his mouth to get him to breath again, we do that and he does come around but then he is very limp. I need to know if this is normal for a infant who has GBS? If not any advice on what to do for him? He never did this until he got GBS.
      TY
      HUgs
      Khane’s Grandma

• February 4, 2008 at 9:58 pm

I do not know if it is related to gbs, but there is a phenomenon called breath holding. My friends infant neice had it. They were told to do the same thing. She is now 8 years old and doing fine.
      Dawn Kevies mom

• Anonymous
      February 4, 2008 at 10:17 pm

i did this when i was a small child & assume it is not gbs related, just frustration at not getting his way, which in this case is wishing to be normal. i’m 65 & back then my parents just let me be till i started breathing again. funny thing is that near the end of a breath holding event when i realized i had better start breathing, i couldn’t always self-start myself & then i would panic inside. a few seconds later something clicked in [maybe survival] & i’d suck air in bigtime. funny now, but not funny then. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• February 4, 2008 at 11:41 pm

Hi,
      Kevin’s mom Dawn here again, I spoke with my friend a few minutes ago, (she is a nurse) and she said that the breath holding lasted for about 3 years. Blowing on the child was all that they were told to do. She did say that the doctors did say that it could be indicative of some other ilness and just manifests itself this way. More like a response to something, ie pain, frustration, what ever. Good luck, and I feel your pain when you see a helpless child. There IS A LIGHT at the end of this road! You will get through it, KEvin did and we now take each day as it comes!
      Best of wishes!
      Dawn Kevies mom