Natural anti-inflammatories for child

• Anonymous
      May 30, 2006 at 11:39 am

I was wondering if anyone knows of a natural anti inflammatory that I can give to my 4 year old. I know that the dr is going to want to put her on Prednisone & I’m very worried about that. I don’t like all of the side effects.

I wanted to look for something natural to try first. Then if it doesn’t work then we will go with the Prednisone.

I know that treating a child is ALOT different in treating an adult. Does anyone either have some info or know where I can get some on natural anti inflammatories for children with CIDP?

Thanks,
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      May 30, 2006 at 1:46 pm

Hi Kelly,

found this online: [URL=”http://www.mercola.com/2005/jan/12/anti_inflammatory.htm”]http://www.mercola.com/2005/jan/12/anti_inflammatory.htm[/URL]

“………Probably the most important way is to reduce inflammation is to eliminate sugar from your diet and for most of us that also includes all grains. Just this simple strategy may provide amazing relief.

If eliminating sugar and grains doesn’t provide you with the relief you seen then the following herbal solutions provide the benefits of painkilling drugs without raising your risk of serious health problems like heart attacks and stroke.

You should work with your own knowledgeable health care professional, someone who understands natural medicine, to develop the best combination of herbal alternatives for you.

[B]Ginger:[/B] This herb is anti-inflammatory and offers pain relief and stomach-settling properties. Fresh ginger works well steeped in boiling water as a tea or grated into [URL=”http://www.mercola.com/nutritionplan/juicing.htm”%5D%5BCOLOR=#0000ff%5Dvegetable juice[/COLOR][/URL]. Powder capsules are also available, but I recommend using the fresh root.

[B]Boswellia:[/B] Also known as boswellin or “Indian frankincense,” this herb contains specific active anti-inflammatory ingredients, referred to as boswellic acids that animal studies have shown significantly reduce inflammation. This is one of my personal favorites as I have seen it work well with many of my rheumatoid arthritis patients
      And in another study of 175 patients with rheumatic disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis, 122 participants had reduced stiffness and inflammation just two to four weeks after starting on boswellia.

[B]Fish Oils:[/B] The omega-3 fats EPA and DHA found in fish oil have been found, by many animal and clinical studies, to [URL=”http://www.mercola.com/2003/jan/1/fish_oil.htm”%5D%5BCOLOR=#0000ff%5Dhave anti-inflammatory properties[/COLOR][/URL] that reduce joint inflammation and promote joint lubrication.
      Animal based omega-3 fats are absolutely essential for any comprehensive anti-inflammatory program. They form the precursors to the molecules that actually produce or inhibit inflammation in your body (prostaglandins). That is why it is essential to make sure you are getting enough. It is also vital to understand that you need to reduce omega-6 fats like vegetable oils seeds and nuts, as it is actually the ratio of omega 6:3 fats that determines how much inflammation is present. You could theoretically consume enough omega-3 fish oils to work but then ruin the effect by consuming too many omega-6 fats.

Those of you who read the newsletter regularly know that I’m a fan of Carlson’s brand [URL=”http://www.mercola.com/forms/carlsons.htm”%5D%5BCOLOR=#0000ff%5Dfish oil and cod liver oil[/COLOR][/URL] as I have seen clear and often substantial improvements in my patients who use it. It has shown particularly positive benefits in those with rheumatoid arthritis.
      You can find the Carlson’s fish oil/cod liver oil in my Recommended Products section; your local health food store may also carry Carlson’s, and usually they are very helpful in recommending any other trustworthy brands.

[B]Bromelain:[/B] This enzyme, found in pineapples, is a natural anti-inflammatory. It can be taken in supplement form, but eating fresh pineapple may also be helpful.

[B]Cetyl Myristoleate (CMO):[/B] This oil, found in fish and dairy butter, acts as a “joint lubricant” and an anti-inflammatory. The delicious raw butter we carry from [URL=”http://www.mercola.com/forms/organic_pastures.htm”%5D%5BCOLOR=#0000ff%5Dorganic pastures[/COLOR][/URL] contains “Wulzen anti-stiffness factor.” This factor has been found to be highly effective in reversing arthritis and protects against calcification of joints.[B] I have also used this for myself to relieve ganglion cysts and a mild annoying carpal tunnel syndrome that pops up when I type too much on non-ergonomic keyboards. I used a topical preparation for this.[/B]
      In one study of 106 people with various types of arthritis who did not respond to NSAIDs, 63.5 percent of those who took CMO orally and applied the cream topically (it’s available both in oral supplement and cream forms) improved, compared to only 14.5 percent of those taking a placebo.

[B]Evening Primrose, Black Currant and Borage Oils:[/B] These contain the essential fatty acid gamma linolenic acid (GLA), which is useful for treating arthritic pain. These are the exception to omega-6 fats that are necessary to have in your diet. It is reasonable for many to take these as a supplement, particularly if you struggle with dry skin in the winter, as this is a strong indicator that you are deficient in these fats
      In one study of 37 rheumatoid arthritis patients, those who received 1.4 grams of GLA per day reduced the number of tender joints by 36 percent, the tenderness of the joints by 45 percent, the number of swollen joints by 28 percent, and the degree of joint swelling by 41 percent. The placebo group showed no significant improvements.
      I personally prefer the use of GLA supplements from evening primrose oil but borage oil contains a higher concentration of GLA, which means you need fewer capsules, and it tends to be less expensive.

[B]Cayenne Cream:[/B] Also called capsaicin cream, this spice comes from dried hot peppers. It alleviates pain by depleting the body’s supply of substance P, a chemical component of nerve cells that transmits pain signals to the brain……….”

Not sure of the effectiveness of any of these, just wanted to show you the information. Make sure you tell Emi’s Doc’s before trying any of the natural stuff just to be safe.

Hope you guys are having a good day.
      Jerimy

• May 30, 2006 at 3:23 pm

Hi Kelly,

I know you are frightened of letting your daughter take prednisone – but from my personal experience no natural anti inflammatory will give her the relief that comes from an immunosuppressant. After all, CIDP is not simply an inflammatory process; it is an auto immune disease.

Yes, prednisone has a scary reputation but not every patient gets every side effect. And you might be lucky enough to have this simple pill stop the CIDP from constantly stripping the myelin from the nerves. Even though the high dose required at first had its “icky” moments, I can honestly say I was amazed at the pain releif. Once the auto immune attack has been subdued the healing can begin. With proper attention, low dose prednisone relief can be maintained for years if necessary.

There is more prednisone info in the thread about “CIDP reference pages”. Here is my favorite page about using prednisone:
      [url]http://www.classkids.org/library/pred.htm[/url]

You will still want to investigate how a healthy diet and possible nutritional supplements will promote the best possible outcome. Do not just start using herbals and high potency vitamins without doing proper research. You could harm your daughter. Try to find a licensed natural pharmacist to help you.

I have spent years looking for a “natural” magic bullet to vanquish my CIDP . Unfortunately I have not found it yet.
      Flossie

• Anonymous
      May 30, 2006 at 4:11 pm

Hi Kelly ~ I recommend reading the book: “Coping with Prednisone” written by Eugenia Zukerman and Julie R. Ingelfinger, M.D. Julie is a pediatrician (Massachusetts General Hospital and a professor at Harvard) and was startled to find little available info on side effects. While her sister Eugenia was “coping” they researched and wrote this book together. Initially, prednisone and other cortisone-related medicines can be a life saver. It appears to be long-term that is so detrimental. The more informed you are the better you will feel with your decisions. Best wishes.

• Anonymous
      May 30, 2006 at 4:46 pm

WOW Jerimy…thanks for all the info.

I’m going to have it printed up to show her dr. I’ll see what he thinks.

BTW, I saw the pediatrician today. He’s going to do look around for a dr that has more experience with CIDP in children. He thinks it’s a good idea that we find someone who knows more than the current neurologist does.

How is it that you found all of that info & all I could find was adds for nutritional supplements? LOL

• Anonymous
      May 30, 2006 at 5:01 pm

Hi Flossie,

Emily is doing well with the IVIG right now except that her right eye has been paralyzed again. She doesn’t seem to have any aches & pains in her legs. A blood test revealed that she had alot of inflammation, that’s why I’m looking for an anti-inflammatory. I think she might need that to maintain her eye strength. I was trying to figure out what would make her eye do that again & it seems to correlate with me discontinuing giving her Motrin so often. She would get it after her IVIG infusions to ward off a headache & now her infusions have gotten farther apart. Or it could be something totally different and I’m just grasping for answers, who knows.

I would never start her on anything before talking to her dr about it first. I’d be way too afraid to do that. I just thought that I would get an idea of what to ask the dr about at our next appointment.

This may sound wrong but I’m very concerned about her getting the moon shaped face. Emi is going to be starting Kindergarten in August and I’m worried about the kids making fun of her. And plus she’s a little girl & likes to look pretty. I don’t want to do anything that’s going to hurt her self esteem. (I, of course, would still think she is beautiful & I would tell her that everyday. But you know how evil kids can be) But, if taking oral prednisone is the only thing that will work then we will most certainly do it. I just want to explore other alternatives first. I’ve made bad decisions about my own health care before by just doing what the dr’s said and not looking into anything natural. Then in the end, after many months of agony, I found that natural remedies worked better for me.

Thanks for the link. I’ll read it tonight after I put Emily to bed.

Thanks,
      Kelly

• Anonymous
      May 30, 2006 at 5:03 pm

Thanks Judi,

I’ll take a trip to the library tomorrow to see if they have it there. It sounds like a very interesting read.

Thanks again!

Kelly

• January 3, 2020 at 8:04 am

I wanted to look for something natural to try first. Then if it doesn’t work then we will go with the Prednisone. black orchid betta care

Tagged: