My surgery got postponed! :0(

• Anonymous
      September 17, 2008 at 7:40 pm

Hi family! Well here I go on another roller coaster ride. Have not been online much these past few days because I was down and then got new RX’s that have me all doofy acting.
      Ended up going to get my labs done on Monday and felt horrible. Landed back in the ER. My white blood count is high showing signs of infection and then CT Scan on thyroid show my gland to be swelling and they can’t risk the sugery this week.
      They placed me on Keflex of 1000mgs per day to get my white blood count down and hope it takes away infection. Then they put me on Ativan and took me off three of my regular pills until after my surgery. Strong dose of Ativan. But it is helping me sleep a bit better. Switched my pain medication to Vicodin until after the surgery.
      Friday after I have one other test done because my thyroid is enlarged they are giving me Radioactive Iodine treatment in hopes it will take some of the enlargement down. They also want to do a Radioisotope Iodine Scan to see which kind of cancer they are dealing with which is scheduled tomorrow. Already told me I had the minor kind of cancer, but want to double check me better because of the enlargement. CT Scan is showing the enlarged thyroid is pressing up against my vocal cords and esophogus but not too drastic but the swelling is bad enough and white blood count is bad enough risking higher infection. So they have to have me on an antibiotic a few days before they can do this surgery.
      After I take the anti-biotic and the other test, if I am better on Monday lab wise then they will go ahead and admit me and do the surgery then. CT Scan has also shown a problem with a vein being compressed on the side of my neck area, Corotid Artery. Not a good artery to be dealing with. They also upped my steroids to 60mgs right now hoping to get some swelling down before surgery.
      So they postponed my surgery date. A little bummed out but don’t want to go in with an infection and get far more worse than I already am! Been resting and taking it easy and taking my meds. The ativan is doing me justice and helping me rest. The vicodin.. I don’t really like the effects of that drug and the Keflex is doing some good.
      If I do okay on Monday of next week then the surgery will be done! So I hope this antibiotic kicks in and brings my white blood count down and the surgery is done.
      Was a little bummed out, but know they can’t risk me with an infection. It would be too life threatening doing a surgery with cancer and having infection like this. The infection could spread and kill me! So I am hoping on Monday my news is good and I get my thyroid removed then. Either way, if I am not able to post because of being admitted. I told my husband how to get in here and he will post on what happened.
      But if I get admitted, I will have my laptop with me in my hospital room! I just hope it works in the hospital. I never used it before in the hospital and it will be my first time using. Just hope I am able to be up to getting online. Not sure how I will do there. But just wanted to update you all and let you know what is going on. I was going to post Tuesday about it but the Ativan every 4 hours is blowing me away from here mixed with the Vicodin. Whew! Mix those two drugs together and it’s a strong doped up feeling. I had to skip two doses today just so I could function. They are trying to make me get some sleep in since I have not been sleeping. And taking those two pills have been knocking me flat on my face.
      Well at least I get a chance to see who wins the football pool this week! And might go ahead and type in the next four weeks games in so that will be done. Already had my suitcase packed and everything ready and my suitcase is just sitting there staring at me! ๐Ÿ™ At least it is packed. Now just waiting for them to say lets get me admitted in and rip that nasty thyroid out!
      Well better get offline. Just took my pills and already getting doofy. Hugs family! Thank-you all so much for your support and prayers!

• Anonymous
      September 17, 2008 at 10:32 pm

Well heck! This is not the news I was waiting for! But you are right about waiting until the infection is gone. I’m sorry the surgery has been delayed. More worry and waiting. Hope you can get some much needed rest! Sending hugs and prayers to you!

• Anonymous
      September 17, 2008 at 11:26 pm

Gee, what next, Linda? Better to have all this stuff treated before surgery, though. Here’s hoping all these meds do the trick! I’m sure the Ativan will help you sleep. Just don’t like it tooo much as it is addictive! Keep us posted.

Mags

• Anonymous
      September 18, 2008 at 12:55 am

I know this all stinks and that you just want to be done! Best to delay so that you’re not making things worse. Of course you know that, but…..
      Hang in there and quit trying to be so strong. Take the pills and get some sleep while you wait this out, there is nothing that you HAVE to do. Relax and take care of yourself. Mind you I know that is easier said that done!

keep you in my prayers, Keep smiling

marjie

• Anonymous
      September 18, 2008 at 11:34 am

What a bummer. Signed on his morning after getting to Denver expecting to hear that everything went well. Hang in there.

• Anonymous
      September 18, 2008 at 12:34 pm

Linda,
      You and your family will continue to be in my prayer each day.

• September 18, 2008 at 12:53 pm

Linda, know that you have prayer cover both while you’re waiting for it and during the surgery. Love and hugs are coming your way cyberly as well. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Gary

• Anonymous
      September 18, 2008 at 1:15 pm

Linda,
      What a bummer!:mad:
      But it is in your best interest to not have a ragging infection prior to surgery. Sounds like with the new meds you are at least sleeping;)
      Hang in there & I nam thinking of you & keeping you in my prayers:)
      Big Cyber Hug your way!!!!

• Anonymous
      September 18, 2008 at 6:46 pm

Linda hopefully your labs will be better next week. It’s better they nip in the bud the infection now before it causes you more problems.

Sue

• Anonymous
      September 18, 2008 at 7:49 pm

Boy was it a day and a half. Got up this morning to go get my test started and the radioactive iodine and my mom was going to go with me. My truck would not start! Thank-GOD I was heading out the door earlier than usual. So I called my husband and he came home and the battery died on my truck. He drives me to my mom’s and I use her van! So we drive her car today. Only time her car ever get’s driven because she can’t drive.
      Then.. I get to the hospital and they give me the treatment. Not bad! Not bad at all! But had to go back 4 hours later and no meds or food for 2 hours! Okay! Not bad! We went to Lowes and I grabbed something I needed there and then went to the Western Sizzlin Steak House and ate lunch. Then stopped by the Car Wash and got my mom’s car cleaned up.
      Now I am getting tired out! Get back to hospital and had to pull up at door and drop my mom off and then find a park! Ohhh great! No handicapped parks. Okay we have the parking garage! No park! I drove in circles in that place today trying to get a park.
      Well! I was there first and finally someone pulled out and I went to go turn in when some rude old fart brain sped up and they were going to whip into that park! Ohhh noo your not! So both of us were unable to pull in that park and was almost touching each other bumper to bumper!
      I would not move! She would not move and it was a 15 minute stand off of us staring at each other with glares. She throws her hands up in the air and I threw mine up!
      Now it’s getting nasty! That woman made me so darn angry, that I finally snapped out on her and rolled the window down in my mom’s van screaming at the bimbo to the top of my lungs. You don’t even want to know what I said but believe me it certainly was not nice and I hate having to be that way. I hate rude people! I had my turn signal on too while waiting to get that park and was there before she was!
      So she finally gave up and gave me a middle finger and I did the same back! Now I got another car behind me thinking I am leaving and waiting for the park! I roll the window down and nicely motion to him or her that I was trying to park. That person would not let me back up! So here I go again rolling my window down and telling that person that I am trying to get pulled into the park and am not leaving. What a day! Must be a full moon!
      Now I have to tackle the walk! Ohhh my gosh! I thought I was going to collaspe trying to get back to Nuclear Medicine, but I made it and they finished me today.
      Was dying to get home. But had to go over my mom’s house and wait until husband got off of work to pick me up. He had to buy battery for truck and took the truck to work with him.
      5:45 husband picks me up and I am now home. Ate dinner and am getting ready to dive in the bed. Missed my medicines today because of the testing and never got any sleep or nappies today! I pray I sleep good tonight because tomorrow I have to be back at 9:30 and they have me again for another 3 or 4 hours. Tomorrow! When I get home I am doing not a thing! I’m pooped!
      I just hope tomorrow is not as hectic as today has been! I have never seen anybody like this be so rude. What ever happened to human kindness and respect? Told my husband to put the wheelchair in the truck tonight just in case I have to experience another rude awakening. Hopefully tomorrow will be better! It was a day and a half! Wishing everybody a good night tonight! You may not see many postings from me tonight for when I hit that bed tonight I pray I pass out and not wake up until tomorrow morning! Hugs! Will keep you all posted! Good night family! Glad I am home!

• Anonymous
      September 18, 2008 at 11:08 pm

Oh Linda I would have loved to have seen that stand-off ๐Ÿ˜ฎ Good luck tomorrow! Hugs!

• Anonymous
      September 19, 2008 at 6:07 am

Thanks Smiley! It certainly was an ugly site and I am up this morning after getting a dead silent sleep but still worn out. All that walking I had to do yesterday, has my legs so sore and achy this morning. I should have carried my walker with me but figured I was on the ground floor and getting the handicapped parking would have not been so bad. Believe me! That wheel chair is getting used today.
      I just pray today is a much easier day than yesterday. :confused: Sure hope this morning goes by quick and easy and painless! No rude folks either!

• Anonymous
      September 19, 2008 at 8:47 am

take a deep breath and relax. I hope things are a bit less dramatic today.

Stacey

• Anonymous
      September 19, 2008 at 12:23 pm

This morning I got super lucky! That park was just waiting for me and I grabbed it easily with no rudeness anywhere! Whew! ๐Ÿ˜€ Test is done and my first treatment is done. Home now and can now rest in peace! Thank goodness today is finally over with.

• Anonymous
      September 19, 2008 at 2:52 pm

Whew! WooHoo! Enjoy the start of the weekend. Give yourself the rest you need. Take Care and Hugs!

• Anonymous
      September 19, 2008 at 3:31 pm

Started my weekend already. Been watching a good movie and am going to order pizza tonight for dinner! ๐Ÿ˜€ Tonight is going to be enjoy the movies night. Pizza, popcorn for later. Just a good old relaxing night at home! And you are right! I am saying WOOO Hooo! LOL! Hugs