My story 22 years later!!!

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2006 at 3:33 pm

Phew, this is the first time I’ve told my story as an adult! This is the first time I’ve actually ‘looked’ up other people who have had GBS, I had no idea there were so many!

I am in Australia.

I was 10 years old, and in year 5 at school….I came down with a bout of tonsilitis.
      2 weeks later, I had a lump in my neck, the next day, I was throwing up…Within 2 days, I couldn’t walk, move my arms or anything. Next thing I knew, I was in hospital, in isolation, and they were running a million test!

GBS was hardly ever heard of back then, especially in smaller cities which is where we lived.

After testing me for meningitis, MS, and a host of other things, they finally found out what was wrong.

22 years ago, they didn’t know how to treat it. Basically, they hit me with a heap of physio, and then just treated each symptom as it came. I had bells palsy, and the right side of my body was the worst affected.

I was in hospital for 6 weeks, and had the majority of the year off school. I had physio for about another 18 months.

Today, I am happy and healthy. I do have a few residual effects. I have a flat right foot, muscle weekness on the RHS and my face tends to droop when i am over tired. I can walk and run with the best of them though.

I have 2 children, but both deliveries put alot of strain on my body, and we nearly lost my little bloke, so I’ve been advised that 2 is it! We had only planned on 2 anyway though.

Fiona

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2006 at 5:29 pm

Welcome Fiona it’s nice to meet you and hear that in spite of this you have done so well. I hope you stop in often so we can get to know you. Take care.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2006 at 6:26 pm

Thanks for the welcome…

I can’t believe that there are so many people who are/were affected by GBS…

I still have ’emotional’ issues with being so ill so young, so hopefully speaking to people who have been through it will help me.

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2006 at 6:44 pm

Fiona,

It took me almost 19 years to be able to speak about my GBS story, I still only really speak about it on the forum and around my family – but the forum is wonderful therapy!

• Anonymous
      November 16, 2006 at 10:06 pm

Thanks, I didn’t realise just how emotional I still was about it all until pretty recently, which led me to have a sticky on the ‘net, and that’s how I found you guys….

Fiona