My News About The Symposium

• Anonymous
      November 7, 2006 at 2:57 pm

Hi Everyone,
      YIPEE-EE-EE-EE, I can travel alone now, the inhibated/introverted mouse found out that she can be a mild lion and ask for help. My plane flight went well, with the aide of walker, I was able to get from seat to bathroom, was able to get into the “sardine can” and I did even better on the return flight. People offered to help me, a very nice young man saw that I was struggling to get my seat belt fastened and he got up and fastened it for me and the lady sitting next to me helped me open the airline “snacks” and she even held my full glass of juice up to my lips so I could sip down enough to hold myself. When I got off the plane, there was a wheelchair pusher waiting right there for me to get me to baggage claim. Some things were hard or I had to do without, but with experience, I can learn how to handle.

I arrived at Embassy suites in Phoenix late in the afternoon on the 2nd and I felt totally wiped out, so I just stayed in my room, ordered room service and went to bed early. On the second day, fear was starting to creep in “how am I going to manage, maybe this is a big mistake” when I went into the dining room for breakfast (since it was a buffet setup) but a lady offered to carry my tray and she helped me get to a table and that’s how it went the rest of the days, our family of members did help those who needed it.

I met Jerimy, and Morrado/Morrada? (Stephen), CIDPkid (Cindy), Kassandra, Peggy80, Vikki, Sonja (sfjeldstrom). I saw my good friend Harriette Lion (she’s on the board of directors). Harriette was overwhelmed to see me there. And for those who remember, I’ll leave it up to Stephen to tell you how our “date” went. On Saturday, some of us got together and finally found a place we could go out to for dinner. I thought it was so good for us to get together like this.

I did not go to all the workshops, I wanted to go to the one for emotional support, but was so tired from sitting through the prior one, I couldn’t do it. I thought the best one was “ASK THE EXPERTS” and I was REALLY surprised by one of their responses, more then one doctor responded and THEY ALL RECOMMENDED THAT WE GET THE FLU SHOT, that it is SAFE for us us to get. They also all agreed, that AQUATIC THERAPY, exercising in a pool, is very good for us. I’ll wait now and see if anyone else will post about the workshops and I’ll add to it.

NOW THE BAD NEWS, I don’t have many photo’s at all, so we’ll have to depend on others to try to post them. Since I learned how to do it, I’ll gladly tell everyone how and hope they can follow my instructions, or if they’ll offer to mail me some of their original photo’s I’ll post them. I do have a few I’ll get posted ASAP.

• Anonymous
      November 7, 2006 at 3:27 pm

Hi Liz,

Glad that you had a good time and got to meet everyone. Sounds like a good time had by all of you who met. That’s wonderful.

Now for the Doctors, I cannot believe that they said to take the flu shot. Most recommend never again. I only hope that anyone who decides to take the flu shot does not get GBS again, that would be my biggest fear for those people.

• Anonymous
      November 7, 2006 at 4:17 pm

I could not believe it either that all of the doctors on the panel of experts who spoke up recommended that both GBS and CIDP patients can safely get the flu shot. Dr. Lisak stated that the warnings we read and hear about are from pharmacy companies who want to avoid lawsuits.

• Anonymous
      November 7, 2006 at 5:04 pm

Glad to hear you managed on the trip and it went well. I am a little worried about next time I have to travel on my own. I can wheel myself to baggage claim and am not worried about that as I can always take a break if need be on the way, but I was really worried about how I would get from the door of the plane (after retrieving my gate checked wheelchair) to the top of the jetway as that could be difficult as uphill roll. Good to know that they had someone to help. Did you have to request that or did they just coordinate that when you told them that you had a wheelchair when buying your ticket?

Would love to see any pics anyone has. I wish I could have gone but its too soon in my recovery, medical bills that I gotta pay, and no time off from work right now either. I wish they had this every year as I would plan on going next year but, oh well guess I gotta wait 2 yrs now.

• Anonymous
      November 7, 2006 at 6:15 pm

[QUOTE=codystanley]I could not believe it either that all of the doctors on the panel of experts who spoke up recommended that both GBS and CIDP patients can safely get the flu shot. Dr. Lisak stated that the warnings we read and hear about are from pharmacy companies who want to avoid lawsuits.[/QUOTE]

Of course the pharmacuetical companies put the warning in the inserts, because they know how dangerous their vaccines are. That is why most Drs don’t take vaccines or vaccinate their children, they also know how dangerous vaccines are. Believe me I know this to be a fact after working with them for so long. You wouldn’t believe the conversations the doctors have with their staff regarding medications and vaccines or other things they really don’t believe in.

I am still in shock over this.

Well anyway, I’m still glad you got to meet so many nice people.

• Anonymous
      November 7, 2006 at 8:28 pm

I find this so disturbing ๐Ÿ˜ฎ Do I remember correctly that pharmacutical companies were sponsoring the Symposium?? If so, then of course there would be a ‘push’ to have the flu shot. I am so terribly disappointed that our “experts” would stand behind that recommendation ๐Ÿ™

As has already been stated on another thread, each one of us will have to make that decision for ourselves. I wish each of you “well”.

• Anonymous
      November 8, 2006 at 8:46 am

[QUOTE=Judi Z]Do I remember correctly that pharmacutical companies were sponsoring the Symposium?? If so, then of course there would be a ‘push’ to have the flu shot.
      [/QUOTE]

Just a short comment … I completely agree that the flu shot decision should be made by individuals. But, I have to take the other side of your comment just to provide a different view. This is neither pro nor con flu-vaccine, but regardless, the potential bias expressed above just does not exist.

From an economic perspective, a pharma company would have NO interest in pushing the flu-shot to GBS persons for personal gain. First, a flu-shot costs, at absolute most, $20 … and that includes the labor. Second, the potential audience of the symposium could not even add up to a rounding error on a tiny income statement. Third, GBS itself is so rare, even if every GBS person in the world were targeted for flu-shot, the pharma’s still would not come close to a rounding error in earnings. Simply, they just have no incentive to try and push the flu-shot on GBS patients or their families … it is just too small to ever matter. Additionally, I am sure that their liability with GBS patients and flu-shots would incent them to keep flu-vaccine away from GBS patients.

There simply is no financial incentive for pharma companies to push flu-vaccine at the Symposium, or for the experts to express their opinions as stated from a financial bias.

Note: That does NOT mean that I agree with the experts … I just feel I need to defend them against the potential bias mentioned above.

[COLOR=”Navy”][B]Very respectfully [/B][/COLOR]submitted,
      Doug

• Anonymous
      November 8, 2006 at 9:35 am

Judi,

I was there and I have no problem saying that I 100% do not think that the pharmaceutical companies being there had any influence whatsoever on the Dr.’s on the panel nor on the foundation. They went to great pains to keep the companies booths away from the conference area. Those Doctors made their recommendations based only on what they think is best for us, the CIDP/GBS patient.

I heard all of the information that was presented and I will not be getting a flu shot, thats my choice that I am making based on what I know and what I also heard at the symposium.

Jerimy

[quote=Judi Z]I find this so disturbing ๐Ÿ˜ฎ Do I remember correctly that pharmacutical companies were sponsoring the Symposium?? If so, then of course there would be a ‘push’ to have the flu shot. I am so terribly disappointed that our “experts” would stand behind that recommendation ๐Ÿ™

As has already been stated on another thread, each one of us will have to make that decision for ourselves. I wish each of you “well”.[/quote]

• Anonymous
      November 8, 2006 at 10:46 am

liz,
      I am so glad you had a good trip. Being new with my dx of cidp i would have loved to go!!!
      I just wanted to let all know that i had my flu shot, it has been 3 weeks and i am fine. I was freaking out after reading everybody’s stories AFTER i got my shot. Maybe i was lucky or maybe everybody is different.
      lisa

• Anonymous
      November 8, 2006 at 12:52 pm

I apologize for setting off such a ‘fire storm’. Apparently, pharmacutical companies/reps have changed their approach. My skepticism was very ingrained from my medical career experiences pre~GBS. I choose not to have vaccinations. Judi

• Anonymous
      November 8, 2006 at 12:54 pm

I contracted GBS in August of 2004. I got a flu shot that year at my neurologists recommendation and every year since. The probablility of my contracting GBS a 2nd time seems to me to be quite remote. Not so the flu. My neurologist expressed the belief that with my compromised immune system, I was far more vulnerable to the flu. I have no reason–no evidence on which to disagree with him. I do agree that it is an individual decision If you get the flu, I’ll still talk to you, stay by your side if you need me, help you in any way I can because I’ve had my flu shot.

• Anonymous
      November 8, 2006 at 1:34 pm

Judi,

No firestorm, I just wanted to clarify and give my opinion, having been there.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      November 8, 2006 at 2:54 pm

Hello,
      I just want to explain my comments a little more to try to clarify things. I hope our administrators will not feel it’s necessary to remove this. First off, all the doctor’s on “ask the experts” who spoke up, did say that we should get the flu shot and that it was safe for us. When someone asked about the warnings we are given that the flu shot should not be given to people with our syndromes, Dr. Lasik spoke up and commented that his son worked for a pharmacy company and that they are the ones who are giving out the warnings, not the doctors. I think he meant it lightly, as a joke.

BOTTOM LINE THOUGH, the doctors did say it was safe. I think one of our forum members who attended was recording. I will contact her and ask her exactly what was said.

THE FLU SHOT HAS TO BE AN INDIVIDUAL CHOICE after you receive advice from your neurologist and family doctor.

• Anonymous
      November 8, 2006 at 8:08 pm

[B]An FYI for everyone, phamacuetical companies are not liable for any serious effects that their vaccines have on anyone.[/B]

They are exempt from lawsuits, but anyone who got GBS/CIDP from any vaccine can collect money from our government. My Frank had a case pending for compensation, but when he passed away the lawsuit died.

We all give our opinions here and we all have said it is your personal choice to take a vaccine. That is what’s so great about these forums, you post your opinion and any facts you have to let everyone know the pros and cons, then you and you alone make your final decision whether to have any vaccine.

• Anonymous
      November 8, 2006 at 8:11 pm

[QUOTE=Judi Z]I apologize for setting off such a ‘fire storm’. Apparently, pharmacutical companies/reps have changed their approach. My skepticism was very ingrained from my medical career experiences pre~GBS. I choose not to have vaccinations. Judi[/QUOTE]

Judi,

There is no need to apologize to anyone. You are stating your opinions just like everyone else has. I stand on my opinions and will not apologize because I have given an opinion about any vaccine. I know the dangers that vaccines hold and I for one am againist any vaccine.

• Anonymous
      November 8, 2006 at 11:25 pm

I had a great time meeting so many individuals at the symposium. I was afraid it would be a real downer and was so pleaseantly surpried. I learned so much in all the sessions. They mentioned that the foundation would be posting all the handouts on the GBS website that the speakers distributed sometime during the next month.

I attended the CIDP sessions and got all my questions answered. All the doctors were approachable in between talks.

I will summerize me session in the next couple days.

We even found a couple attendees who were in charge of fun! I t was a great time and I feel like I have some new friends, they were all instant friends!

Cindy

• Anonymous
      November 8, 2006 at 11:31 pm

did someone say fun :p

• Anonymous
      November 8, 2006 at 11:34 pm

Welcome back to our travelers!

To add my two cents to this. While I was in the hospital they went around giving everyone a flu and pneumonia shots. Since I had pheumonia they said to get one every year starting this Winter. I had to question them before they gave me the shots. They were going to give me both! That is when I started to be fiesty and question every move they made! I wanted control back! They told me I was right not to get those shots so soon and to wait till this year.

I am hand or gun shy and don’t even think I will get them this year. I had never had one before and I am a little younger than a senior citizen. Next year I will again think about my options and think about any shots like tetnus etc.

Liz good point brought back from your travels. I am glad to see it bought out so many opinions! Thanks everyone!

• Anonymous
      November 9, 2006 at 3:32 am

No flu shots for me,…..ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am VERY opinionated inre. to this. Yes, everyone has their own opinion (as it should be), but, these vaccinations definitely are a concern for GBS issues!!!!!!!

Per

• Anonymous
      November 9, 2006 at 4:04 am

How I wish I could have been there at the symposium with all of you from the forum. So what if there still isn’t a breakthrough insight in GBS/CIPD or a miracle therapy which would cure us from our discomforts. Just having a nice meal together and even having FUN, well, I would settle for that:) .

• Anonymous
      November 9, 2006 at 8:14 am

Congradulations Liz on you sucessful trip. You are indeed very brave to go it alone.

• Anonymous
      November 9, 2006 at 9:08 am

Liz was such a trooper we wanted to enter her in the wheelchair races!
      Cindy

• Anonymous
      November 9, 2006 at 9:53 am

wheelchair races, I would go for that. Had my chair up to speed 5 once, wheew!! My neurologist said NO flu shot.

• Anonymous
      November 9, 2006 at 4:17 pm

I have to add to that I was not much for vacinations before I got GBS.

When will they announce the next symposium?

• Anonymous
      November 9, 2006 at 5:33 pm

I know on the flu shot it asks if you ever have had GBS.

Two questions:

1) Will they give it to you if you admit you have had it?

2) I have CIDP. Since they are not the same, should I not get the shot? I know this is in the middle of the symposium thread, but the theme has adapted a bit. I find the discussions on this thread interesting to read. Of course, now I’m confused with differences of opinions, but I’m getting used to that with my own doctors!! ๐Ÿ˜€

Dennis

• Anonymous
      November 9, 2006 at 6:06 pm

[QUOTE=Jerimy]Judi,

I was there and I have no problem saying that I 100% do not think that the pharmaceutical companies being there had any influence whatsoever on the Dr.’s on the panel nor on the foundation. They went to great pains to keep the companies booths away from the conference area. Those Doctors made their recommendations based only on what they think is best for us, the CIDP/GBS patient.

I heard all of the information that was presented and I will not be getting a flu shot, thats my choice that I am making based on what I know and what I also heard at the symposium.

Jerimy[/QUOTE]

Hello everyone:

This is my first official post and I am going to say just a few quick words about flu shots and my experience at the Phoenix symposium.

I’m not at the age that I need to worry about taking the flu shot, so I don’t, for now. I’m not afraid of shots or even catching the flu. I think my GBS has made me “healthier,” if that’s possible, in that I have never had more than a slight head cold during any given winter cold season since being diagnosed in 1971 at the age of ten (go ahead, do the math, LOL).

I listened to the doctors at the symposium and it is because they are doctors, and a few of these doctors have been stricken with GBS (I don’t recall any of them having had CIDP), so they have to know what they are talking about and we have to put our “faith” in them and what they’re saying. But, it’s still anyone’s individual call, either take the shot, or don’t, it’s up to you. I understand the fears that a few have spoken about, but realistically, if the flu shot is what it takes to keep one “healthy” during the season, then it makes sense to take it. If, however, one wants to gamble with one’s health during the season, then that person has to handle the “consequences” that might come from not taking the shot. Life’s a crapshoot…, do you want to shoot craps?

About the Symposium. I am so pleased with myself for having taken the plunge and made the decision to travel west (from the east) and participate in the symposium. Aside from meeting so many terrific people, and building on my “family,”(having been a foster child when I was stricken), the day’s events were informative (for the research I will have for my next book) and enlightening (to see the many varients to this disorder and to learn about CIDP as well). I look forward to traveling (in my AFO’s) to the next one in 2008, provided I remain healthy enough to travel.

Take care everyone.

Alex

• Anonymous
      November 9, 2006 at 6:16 pm

Hey Alex,

Glad you had a good time and great to see you posting. I hope you continue to come to the forums ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      November 9, 2006 at 10:52 pm

Hi Alex, enjoyed talking with you at the States dinner. Let us know when your book is published and keep in touch.

I was at the forum, in a wheelchair; however, unlike Liz, I had my daughter to help push me around and was able to attend every workshop, which I taped, but haven’t had time to play back because I had skin surgery in Pomona, NY, a long trip on a miserable rainy day. Again, my daughter helped me out.

Regarding flu shots, I will not have them no matter what the experts say. One of the doctors told me that because I have 3 autoimmune diseases I am at risk for another and should have an evaluation done by a neurologist at Columbia Hospital, Dr. Gooch. Plan to talk with my neurologist about it.

Have some pictures which I will post when I learn how to do it. Meanwhile, trying to get ready for a Thanksgiving dinner for 16, another trip to Pomona to have stitches taken out, more doctors’ appointments, a nuclear stress test etc.

Peg

• Anonymous
      November 10, 2006 at 10:45 am

Hi again,
      My hands just cannot hold the shape of a digital camera, they were damaged by CIDP, so I gave my camera to someone to take pictures for me. I ended up not having any pictures to post. I will not fault the person at all, using an unfamiliar camera, dealing with her/his own fatigue and medical problems, trying to benefit from meeting people at the symposium, etc.

I know how to post the pictures (I hope), a photo is a photo and I’ve done so before. I will try to contact Peggy80 and CIDPkid and if they will send me some of their photo’s (I will send back), you’ll see pictures.

• Anonymous
      November 10, 2006 at 9:10 pm

Just stopping by to read a few posts and to thank others for their greetings.

After reading some more about the concern/s about taking a flu shot, I wonder, how serious of a concern should one have over getting GBS/CIDP following a flu shot? Also, if one already has GBS/CIDP (but mainly GBS), can one get GBS again?

I think from listening to the experts at the symposium, the chances are extremely rare…, so why such concern over this? I’m not criticizing anyone over their concern about taking the shot, but…???

Anyway, I’ll try to keep up with the discussions as much as possible, but I am a little busy with writing the next book (only three more parts and a few poems to write still).

Have a great evening and a good weekend everyone.

Alex

• Anonymous
      November 11, 2006 at 11:32 am

Hi there,

I had a flu shot given to me while in the rest home recovering, which shouldn’t have been done. Mainly because they didn’t ask my permission. Came through it alright with no ill effects.
      What I see not mentioned by anyone here, about weather or not to get one, is the big factor of exposure. A single shot to a single person should go no furthur then that as far as effects to condition. Should be no worry if your exposure to other people, especially kids, is low or almost non-existent. Should people contact be high, then expect every single disease or flu to be of some threat to an individual. That’s how I navagate not getting one. By staying away from all the other sick people, and the ones sniffing, when ever I’m exposed to them. Pretty easy to spot in a group. The worse group has to be kids in a daycare setting, as far as exposing oneself to trouble. You go out looking for trouble, most will find it. Like us being the ones to never wash our hands after contact with others. Kind of hard to keep up with, but it’s part of protection, so not getting a shot has an equal chance of working.

• Anonymous
      November 11, 2006 at 3:30 pm

hi alex, i’m one of those rare cases who has gotten gbs more then once. each onset was acute, and brought on by either an infection or food poisoning. i now have the type of remitting/relapsing gbs-which is also rarely seen-2-3%. it is possible to get gbs more then once-there is no immunity that comes with the first gbs onset. the odds of it reoccurring is low only 2-3%, but it does happen. i don’t go living my life like a hermit because of that fact, and i also don’t go out looking for trouble either. life is way too short to worry about things like that. let us know what the name of your book is when it comes out, best of luck on your endever. take care.:)

• Anonymous
      November 11, 2006 at 4:39 pm

Cheryl is “special”

• Anonymous
      November 11, 2006 at 4:54 pm

LOL I’m “special,” Cindy’s “special” and Cher’s “special.” Jer, no offense, but I think *you’re* the “special” one. :p

• Anonymous
      November 11, 2006 at 7:37 pm

Yeah that’s why I avoid you 3, I think it’s contagious ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Anonymous
      November 11, 2006 at 9:22 pm

Jerimy,
      You need to behave there is power in numbers!
      Cindy

• Anonymous
      November 11, 2006 at 10:48 pm

Jerimy, that is so mean! I wasn’t even here to defend myself when you wrote that!

• Anonymous
      November 11, 2006 at 11:11 pm

aww I am sorry Shan, not ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2006 at 9:08 am

[B]Sorry, but back to the flu shot …… [/B]

This is a subject that we have discussed so often, and at great length on the forums ….. Having had GBS I know the ‘statistics’ a little better than the ones for CIDP – so I speak from a GBS perspective. As we all know, the chances of getting GBS is 1 – 2 in 100 000. The Swine Flu shot brought a greater ‘awareness’ to GBS. A number of cases have been reported recently of teenagers getting GBS due to the meningitis shot which is now becoming popular for doc’s to give because of the risk of getting Meningitis seems to have become greater lately. But I digress …… The chances of getting GBS is rare – so everyone says. We know that there are people on this forum who have had GBS more than once, and unfortunately Cheryl is on of those ‘unlucky’ people who has the relapsing type. Personally, I have had ‘true’ flu a few times and colds on many occasions. Having the flu shot [B]DOES NOT[/B] prevent me from getting the flu. The shot only protects you from certain strains, and those strains quickly become outdated (for lack of a better word). Unless I am at risk of death, I will certainly not get the flu shot. I doubt I will get GBS again from the flu shot, but there is the very slight possibility that I may. I think the real reason I really dont get the shot is because I dont believe that it is effective to the latest and greatest strains out there. What doctors know about medications and injections is what they read in the little books (darn, cant think of the name) they carry around with them, and what they are told by the pharm. reps. Thank you very much, but I will take my chances ……

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2006 at 12:17 pm

Hi Ali,

The book you are referring to for Drs is called:

“Physicians Desk Reference” book. It has all the latest and older medications listed in there for them to read what they need to prescribe it for and the dosages for all ages.

• Anonymous
      November 12, 2006 at 12:59 pm

Thanx Donna,

Was caught up in the moment and couldnt think of the correct term used in the US. I worked for a pharmaceutical company in South Africa and am trying to think of the name of the reference book that came out every year and was given to docs, medical reps etc – had a few copies lying around my house for quite a number of years. The acronym was PIMS or PIMMS, just for the life of me cant remember.