my mother

• Anonymous
      November 23, 2006 at 10:52 am

My mother contracted GBS in October and is coming along in her recovery. I have a few concerns and am wondering if others experienced the same. Are muscle spasams common?…..I can’t seem to get a straight answer from the doctors…

Thanks for any help
      Karen

• Anonymous
      November 23, 2006 at 1:03 pm

hi karen & welcome,

maybe not common, but frequently happens. pls ask any ques you want. we’ll do our best to ans you. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      November 23, 2006 at 1:14 pm

Hi, Karen,

Glad you found this forum.

Yes, muscle spasms are a common problem. Keeping well hydrated (drinking lots of water), and taking Quinine (either pill form or as a component of tonic water) often helps. Others here will probably have more suggestions about this for your mother.

You will find that most doctors have never treated a case of GBS, and are unfamiliar with many aspects of the disorder and it’s residuals.

Reading the past and present posts here will give you a good education on the many presentations, variables, and residuals that GBS patients experience.

Best wishes for your mother’s recovery. You and she are welcome on this forum any time.

Suzanne

• Anonymous
      November 23, 2006 at 6:06 pm

Thank you so much for your kind words and concern this is very ovewrwhelming for out mother and family. My mother has developed a pretty large bed sore about the size of a silver dollar and rather deep. What can I do to address this poor health care for my mother or is this a natural side effect unfortunately?

• Anonymous
      November 23, 2006 at 6:59 pm

karen,

bed sores are due to poor hosp care. get a hold of the patient advocate for the hosp, go see the ceo, file a report with the state you live in. take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      November 23, 2006 at 7:34 pm

As Gene said, the bed sore is generally due to poor care, but not always. I have spoken to someone who had such a problem with his bed sore that it impeded his ability to do physical therapy and therefore slowed down recovery, on top of that it also became infected. This sore should be dealt with aggressively to try heal it asap.
      Im not sure how paralyzed your mother is, but if she is unable to move properly by herself, she needs to be turned at least every 2 hours, as well as given regular (as in daily) physical therapy.

• Anonymous
      November 23, 2006 at 8:24 pm

Karen,

Best wishes to your mother, you and your family. I’m really glad you were able to find this forum. I hope your extended GBS family can help you feel more at peace as you search for answers regarding your mother’s care. As far as the muscle spasms are concerned, Ben, my fiance, gets them too and takes 325 mgs. of Quinine in pill form. It helps him a great deal.

Love,

Shannon

• Anonymous
      November 24, 2006 at 6:19 am

Karen, I’m sorry about your mother. I had severe spasms just after contracting GBS and also in the following years. My father pushed my legs down and at one time even sat on them to keep them still (not sure if that’s a good advise, quinine seems a more sensible approach;) ). Now I just have the occasional cramps, but not as intense as they used to be. Take care.