MY DAD HAS ACUTE GBS/NOT WAKING UP, IS NOT ON SEDATION MEDS

• Anonymous
      June 3, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Can anyone tell me if this is normal?? He was diagnosed on 5/28/13, could respond when taken off the sedation meds, 2 days later they could not wake him up. He hasn’t been on any sedation meds since 5/30/13 and still not responding. Is this part of the acute GBS? Please help!!

• GH
      June 3, 2013 at 6:28 pm

In extremely severe cases, a GBS patient can exhibit “locked-in syndrome,” in which he appears comatose yet has full awareness of his surroundings. Your neurologist should be aware of this possibility. Sometimes GBS patients can communicate only with their eyes, but even if he does not have this ability, you should not assume that he is unconscious.

• Anonymous
      June 3, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Has anyone heard of Miller Fisher that is parallel to GBS? The neurologist has said he now is paralyzed on his cranium. They have never seen it go past the neck

• GH
      June 3, 2013 at 10:06 pm

MFS is a variant of GBS, not somethong “parallel” to GBS. The neurologist hasn’t seen everything. That doesn’t seem unusual for a rare disorder.

• Anonymous
      June 26, 2013 at 3:59 pm

I was diagnosed with MFS back in 2004, at that time no one said anything about there being any kind of cranium paralyzation. My MFS lasted about 8 or 9 months before I was back to normal. 10 years later I now have nerve pain that the doctors seen to think is from the MFS. Now this pain has caused me to become unable to work because of all the meds for pain I have to take. I hope things work out for you.

• Anonymous
      June 27, 2013 at 8:31 pm

How is he doing now? Where are you located? You may want to refer your Dr. to one of the center for excellence and they can talk to an expert on GBS.