Mwaniki's 8 years -GBS Story

• Jyn
      September 12, 2014 at 4:32 am

Hi all. We are from Nairobi -Kenya (East Africa). Our son Mwaniki was diagonised with GBS at the beginning of the year ie Monday, January 13, 2014. He woke up complaining of weakness in his left leg and we took him to hospital. By evening his trunk was not supporting him and by Wednesday he was drooling saliva. By Wednesday evening he was taken to ICU where he stayed for 3 weeks 4 days as his breathing system had been affected. We got discharged on 17th February though he was very weak and on wheel chair and the hospital bill had hit the roof. We have been going for therapies since then ie O.T, P.T. and hydro therapy. We are still trusting God for his total recovery. Our family and friends have also been very supportive through the whole journey. We are actually encouraged to hear that others have fought the same battle and actually won. His immunity is currently very low and he is getting all kinds of infections. Any ideas on how we can improve his immunity considering he is and was a very poor feeder even before the sickness? Currently he has gone back to school as he is walking on his own though with hyper-extensions on the legs to gain balance which the therapists are working on. It is so sad to see him that was as he really loved sports. Cant wait to see him running, cycling, skating and playing football again. God bless you all.

• Dee
      September 29, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Hello Jyn – I am sorry to hear Mwaniki’s GBS had progressed to his lungs but am so glad to hear that he is on the road to recovery. I don’t really have any suggestions regarding improving his immunity aside from my son takes a chewable probiotic everyday and I believe that has helped fend off small bugs at least (probiotics help support beneficial gut bacteria). Keep hanging in there thru all the therapy. I look forward to hearing that he is playing his beloved sports again (because he will!)
      Best wishes to you both,
      Dee