Multiple Auto-immune Disorders??

• May 15, 2012 at 4:32 pm

😯 Alopecia too!

• May 15, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I’ve been diagnosed with Alopecia! I found a couple of bald spots on my head. The dermatologist treated it with steroid injections directly into affected areas. Cleared up one spot, but the other isn’t quite cleared up yet. I didn’t shave this past weekend and noticed yesterday that I also have a couple of bald spots on my upper lip (too bad it’s not my whole beard … I hate shaving).

Anyway, when I informed my Neurologist he said “welcome to the world of multiple auto-immune system disorders”. (Not mean, just a light-hearted comment in a friendly setting).

I was just curious how many of us suffer from multiple auto-immune system disorders? How about a survey?

Gary

• Anonymous
      May 15, 2012 at 9:32 pm

I have psoriasis, possibly psoriatic arthritis, and CIDP.

• Anonymous
      May 15, 2012 at 10:15 pm

I’ve been told it’s quite common to have more than one autoimmune disorder. Makes sense when you think that autoimmune problems affect more than one organ/tissue in the body. I have CIDP and am hypothyroid. Two years after having CIDP, I was diagnosed with an atrial myxoma–a tumor inside the right atrial chamber. Yeah, that was lots of fun having it removed, lol. Because both of these are so rare, Dr.s felt they might be associated somehow, they’re not. 6 weeks before the heart tumor was diagnosed, I had emergency surgery for a large ovarian cyst that ruptured–almost bled to death. So weird stuff happens but it doesn’t mean it’s all related…

• Anonymous
      May 16, 2012 at 2:13 am

Hi Gary,

I have CIDP, Autoimmune Hepatitis, Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia, Lupus, Rheumatoid Arthritis, and Vitiligo

• May 16, 2012 at 11:35 am

Add me to the list ! I have mixed connective tissue disease, lupus, bechets vasculitis, and CIDP.

• Anonymous
      May 24, 2012 at 3:02 am

I had CIDP and Sjogren’s …

• May 25, 2012 at 1:34 am

They think I have sjogrens and reynauds as well.. also have MTHFR (not autoimmune, but genetic).. my ANA has been pretty elevated in the past.. questionable celiac too! Guess it all goes together!

• Anonymous
      June 2, 2012 at 10:08 pm

My doctor referred to my additional autoimmune diagnoses (after the initial CIDP diagnosis)- that I was experiencing an “autoimmune cascade,” whereby one disease can bring out another….another…and another. Makes sense, doesn’t it? As our immune system gets weaker, any genetic genies in our bottle, so to speak, might slip out. When I have used that phrase with my other doctors (ie: regular ob/gyn), they knew exactly what the phrase meant, re-examined my diagnoses/dates of and nodded “ahh, I see.”