More Fire Safety Tips

• Anonymous
      October 11, 2006 at 1:15 pm

[CENTER][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red][SIZE=3][B]As a firefighter I would like to remind you to [U]”[/U][/B][B][I][U]Change Your Clocks, Change Your Batteries”[/U][/I][/B][B][I] [U]this [/U][/I][/B][B][I][U]Sunday, October 29, 2006[/U][/I][/B][B]. Replace the batteries in your smoke detectors when you change your clocks this weekend to make sure that your family has the critical time needed to escape if there is a fire in your home.[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][/SIZE][CENTER][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=red][B][U]Here are a few tips:[/U][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
      [CENTER][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=red][B]1. If you are in a burning building, stay low to the ground. Smoke rises to the highest point that it can. If you are as low as you possibly can be, you run less of a risk of being hurt by the smoke.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=red][B]2. Always do a monthly check on smoke detectors. In many cases, smoke detectors can determine life or death. Check to see if its batteries are in good working condition. If they aren’t, make sure you change them immediately. It is a good idea to change the battery when you change your clocks each Fall and Spring.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=red][B]3. Four words – Stop, Drop, and Roll. If your clothing catches on fire, immediately “Stop” what you are doing. Do not run, the passing air will fuel the flame. Cover your face with your hands and “Drop” to the ground. “Roll” around until the flame is out. Get medical help for any burns.[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
      [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=red][B][U]Definition of a True Emergency[/U][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
      [/CENTER]
      [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
      [SIZE=3][/SIZE][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]
      [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT][CENTER][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=red]Dial 9-1-1 for any situation that requires a timely response by police, fire, medical, or public service agencies to preserve life or property: if someone is hurt; if you see a crime in progress; if you smell or see smoke or fire.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]
      [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
      [SIZE=3][/SIZE][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=red]
      [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
      [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
      [CENTER][SIZE=3]Please don’t call 9-1-1 to ask for directions, phone numbers, why the power just went out or just to see if it works. If your problem is not an emergency, please use the appropriate business number listed or dial Operator.[/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [SIZE=3][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][/SIZE][CENTER][SIZE=3][B][U]Dialing [/U][/B][B][U]9-1-1[/U][/B][/SIZE]
      [CENTER][SIZE=3]If you mis-dial and get 9-1-1; please stay on the line to report that it was simply a dialing error.[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=3]Things you can do before an emergency occurs:[/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
      [CENTER][B][U][SIZE=3]Address[/SIZE][/U][/B]
      [SIZE=3]Write down your physical address and keep it posted next to the phone. During emergencies we have people accidentally give old addresses, or forget the exact number of their house. Visitors unfamiliar with the area need to be prepared to tell us their street address.[/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
      [CENTER][B][U][SIZE=3]Did you know?[/SIZE][/U][/B]
      [SIZE=3]You don’t need a quarter to dial 9-1-1 from a payphone; IT’S FREE![/SIZE]
      [SIZE=3]The dispatcher will ask questions when you call. Be prepared to stay on the phone if it is safe for you to do so. [/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
      [CENTER][SIZE=3]Please don’t put 9-1-1 on a speed-dialer. It’s the cause of many errors when people drop or clean the phone. Children need to learn how to find the numbers so they can call from any phone.[/SIZE][/CENTER]
      [SIZE=3]
      [/CENTER]

[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

• Anonymous
      October 13, 2006 at 7:25 am

Thanks for the reminder about the smoke alarms, Dave. I had to stop at the grocery store yesterday and remembered to buy batteries. Now all I have to do is remind my tall son to change them!

Deb