moms caregiver

• Anonymous
      May 30, 2006 at 7:50 pm

I have been my mom’s caregiver for 5 years. I have been trying to find new treatments for the pain my moms feet and hands. We are in therapy for walking , she is also on neurontin for the pain. Anyhting new out there???? any comments would be appreciated…:) ๐Ÿ™‚ Dani

• Anonymous
      May 30, 2006 at 8:12 pm

Hi Dani and welcome.

There is a new Neurontin type drug that some people have found more effective then Neurontin. May want to ask about it, it’s called Lyrica and could be something that could help. Take care and welcome to the forums.

Jerimy

• Anonymous
      May 31, 2006 at 2:49 pm

Thanks Jerimy, I did some research on the new drug , in some clinical trials 1 out of a 1000 came down with GBS. My mom is not willing to take a chance on it. Thanks again Dani:) ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      May 31, 2006 at 5:52 pm

Hi there,

Can you point to where you found that stat on GBS, or just what kind of clinical trial? I’ve never seen a drug post anything like that statement, beings that statistic is 10 times higher then the chances of the general population to get GBS. To get that 1 in 1000 number, there would have to have been 10’s of thousands in each trial, and I doubt that ever occured.
      Is her neurontin adjusted as high as it can go? Just have to experiment if that doesn’t work with something else. Quite a variety of pain relief out there.

• Anonymous
      May 31, 2006 at 8:14 pm

Racer13, I found the info on this website:[url]http://www.pfizer.com/pfizer/download/uspi_lyrica.pdf[/url] My mom already takes 3600 mil of neurontin for her pain. Now I’m trying to find info about lidoderm patches for the pain.. Dani:) ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

• Anonymous
      June 1, 2006 at 10:33 am

hi dani, you’re doing your mom a great service. i’m sure she appreciates your help.:) i take neurontin, diazepam and zanaflex for nighttime pain. it also helps me sleep. the diazepam is valium, i take the smallest amount only at bedtime. zanaflex is a muscle relaxer, i take the smallest amount of that at bedtime also. my pain is worse at night, makes for sleepless nights without the additional meds to relax the muscles, in the morning all i have to complain about is foot pain when i stand. no brain fog feeling or hungover feelings. i’m only on 2100mg of neurontin-don’t like to be too sleepy during the day. i increase the dose at bedtime from 600mg to 900mg, always have room to increase. you might ask the dr if your mom can increase her neurontin–highest amount can be 5600mg a day. when i increase my amounts, its always increased at bedtime first then afternoon if needed. take care. keep a positive attitude–it works better then any kind of medicine can.:)

• Anonymous
      June 1, 2006 at 12:02 pm

Hi Dani,

From what that report said, way down at the bottom of the page, they list GBS as a ‘rare’ occurance, and one of the possabilities that this drug might trigger. There is no statement saying GBS did occur in any trial done. Because no GBS cases happened during them. You will find many listings on drugs, and vaccines, that have GBS in with others, as a possable side effect. Like the flu shot. In other words, don’t rule something out that has lesser odds then just getting GBS as part of the general population. Quality of life is more importent. I understand the fear when GBS is listed with anything. Been there, done that. I hope she finds a comfort level soon, and something that works better.