Mom coming home

• Anonymous
      June 11, 2007 at 10:54 pm

Hi:

My mom is getting released from hospital in Victoria BC…it has been about 9 weeks now. They are starting her with overnight visits and then plan to extend the visits over weekends etc. to start. She has made no improvement. She is in a wheel chair and still cannot stand or walk by herself. My dad is getting some equipment to assist her in the home. They are also going to give him some massage training so he can rub her feet.

So, is this how this illness goes? What are your experiences? Do you just slowly get better at home by attending physio appointments and letting it run its course?

thanks

• Anonymous
      June 11, 2007 at 10:59 pm

‘Do you just slowly get better at home by attending physio appointments and letting it run its course?’ BASICALLY, YES. PLENTY OF REST CAN NOT BE STRESSED ENOUGH. thanks’ take care. be well.

gene gbs 8-99
      in numbers there is strength

• Anonymous
      June 12, 2007 at 7:49 pm

work, rest, a sense of humor, and lots of patience….. 🙂

I bet just being home will make her feel a ton better! My legs and feet were the last to come back too. It was a bit frightening at times, but after a while they kicked in too.

• Anonymous
      June 12, 2007 at 8:41 pm

Great news your Mom is able to come home I know people that were in the hospital much longer….longer than 6 months! At the hospital she got no rest, so as caregivers that is your responsibility now to make sure she is able to get as much sleep as she needs. Slow progress on the exercise and the muscles now. It is important that you give it time to heal the sheath of the nerves so the nerves can carry correct signals to the muscles. Keep things possitive and you will see progress. It might be slower that we would like but don’t look at every day…..look at the progress over two weeks or a month. That is the true progress! Please tell her we are here when she is ready or has a questions.. There will be many weird feelings over the new few years!